PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Ransomware

W3WN
01-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Malwarebytes has released a beta for an anti-ransomware application.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2016/01/introducing-the-malwarebytes-anti-ransomware-beta/

They say that they bought a company named EasySync Solutions, whose owner, a Nathan Scott, had created an app called CryptoMonitor. This beta is directly descended from CryptoMonitor.

The claim is that this new app (when released, of course) will stop the Ransomware on detection and before the Ransomware can encrypt your files.

This sounds almost too good to be true. Almost. (Obviously, it has to be installed before an attack happens; once your files are encrypted, you are SOL. Or am I reading this wrong?)

Thoughts?

kb2vxa
01-28-2016, 04:30 AM
I saw that today and you're reading it right. Of course it sounds TGTBT, shameless self promotion aka puffery always does. Dig into the details and when you find out you'll know that like everything else it has its limitations. It does however seem to show some promise, otherwise they wouldn't have acquired (read bought out) a company just to hire a software developer to improve MBAM.

For you cheapskates like me out there I suggest you untick the box so it doesn't go looking for software updates when it looks for database updates unless you like unpleasant surprises. Since Micro$oft turned into Micro$atan (long story) I've become very distrustful to say the least of corporate greed and having hands in my pocket. One day MBAM users may see their product keys deactivated when the new MBAM Premium with whatever they'll call their new anti-ransomeware feature is released and have to buy a new one year subscription at a higher price. Oh you think you'll get another lifetime key? <hysterical laughter>

WØTKX
01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Micro$quish is no worse than Apple on the EULA, FWIW. And you can turn more stuff off.

However, maybe it is time to consider wrapping my keyboard in tin foil.
I will shift completely to a Linux flavor when that happens. OhMyGherd!

I wanna be a PC Prepper? :dunno:

kb2vxa
01-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Just to get it out of the way, I spent a whole MONTH of aggravation killing spies and armoring W7 Ultimate, every time I turned around someone found something new but I finally had a complete batch file spy update hunter-killer and of course sent a copy along with every scheduled task to be disabled got sent to an Australian friend who works on Windblows computers. Pardon my self pat on the back, in addition to those discussed on forums and blogs I found two myself, now Godzilla Jr. is secure as a computer gets. BTW he's so sick and tired of Micro$atanic shit he's telling friends their next computer should be a Mac if they don't care to move over to his favorite, Linux.

That having been said and before this thread gets entirely hijacked, what do you think of the latest Malwarebytes it activities? Sorry I forgot to mention IMO they should leave Malwarebytes alone and release the stable version of whatever they're going to call their anti-ransomeware as a standalone app much the same as Anti Exploit.

WØTKX
01-28-2016, 03:39 PM
I use a mix of hardware (router admins) protection and a higher end commercial AV/spyware/traffic monitoring program. Been using G-Data for about 5 years now. No complaints. I do use Malwarebytes on other peoples stuff. Malewarebytes is just adding traffic monitoring (real time AV) to their mix. Likely to help paid subscriptions. I don't use Microsoft supplied AV, AVG is used by my wife (free is OK), and none of the other usual AV programs.

I do use the cloud based Panda AV, free version, on my laptop. But avoiding the big corporate and free versions may help, as my preferred AV is not as big of a target of opportunity like Microsoft is.

W2NAP
01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
I just use linux and be done with it.

KC2UGV
01-28-2016, 06:52 PM
This is why I use Linux + Ansible + rsync.

Never have to worry about this. In the event a machine gets corrupted, I slip over to the other one, and refresh the other in about 30 minutes.