PDA

View Full Version : Powerball Lottery

KK4AMI
01-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Rats! Had to cancel the 5 year lease on the B-737 Business Jet and fire the 737 pilots I hired at 1/2 a million a year. Maybe next time :)

N2CHX
01-10-2016, 12:06 PM
No worries. I'll give you a few spare mil when I win on Wednesday.

WØTKX
01-10-2016, 12:09 PM

N2CHX
01-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Saw this on FB. :lol:

WØTKX
01-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I see you there too, kiddo.

Visited YallQaeda yet? :evil:

N2CHX
01-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I see you there too, kiddo.

Visited YallQaeda yet? :evil:

Sent them some rainbow Doritos.

WØTKX
01-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Well, they don't want the Nacho flavor either.
Rumor has it, Ranch is OK. ;)

KK4AMI
01-10-2016, 03:33 PM
No worries. I'll give you a few spare mil when I win on Wednesday.

To dream the impossible dream, but THX.

W2NAP
01-10-2016, 04:27 PM
car payments, I aint got no stinkin car payments. mine is paid in full.

PA5COR
01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
I win every month by not wasting money on buying tickets for that sh*t.

WØTKX
01-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Here in 'Merica, it's called a retirement plan. ;)

N2CHX
01-10-2016, 04:54 PM
To dream the impossible dream, but THX.

LOL anyone who knows me knows that was meant to be funny. My mind is firmly in the grip of the reality of 292,000,000:1 odds. :lol:

W5BRM
01-10-2016, 05:03 PM
I play $2 a week. Despite the astronomical but possible odds, you never know. Dont play the odds, you are GUARANTEED not to win.

I'll take an extremely small sliver of a possibility of becoming a millionaire rather than the guarantee of staying poor by not playing

NQ6U
01-10-2016, 06:47 PM
I see the lottery as a tax on people who can't do math. However, I might just drop a buck on the chance to win $1.3 billion. I could do a lot with that kind of money.

W3WN
01-10-2016, 09:17 PM
I see the lottery as a tax on people who can't do math. However, I might just drop a buck on the chance to win $1.3 billion. I could do a lot with that kind of money.For those people who play the lottery in hopes of winning big, yes.

I spend a few bucks a week, nothing worthwhile. Pocket change. I do it for fun; it's a lark, a diversion. It's money that I used to spend on candy bars, back when I could eat them.

One thing I've learned, though, is to not discuss this with the Boss. A few months back, there was something on the news about one of the big prizes that hit, she asked me if I had a ticket. I said yes; so what were the numbers? Told her I didn't know, I get random ones each week, and I'd check it the next time I stopped by the ticket seller's. She got MAD, and DEMANDED I go get the ticket and check it RIGHT NOW. Took all the fun out of it.

The most I ever won was $50 on an instant ticket, back when I was still married to the (now) ex. She, too, wasn't thrilled about my "wasting" money on the tickets... but when I told her, that Saturday, that I'd just won $50, she was MORE than happy to jump in the car and go spend it on lunch. Learned my lesson that time, too.

W2NAP
01-10-2016, 10:31 PM
if i won that 1.3bil. I wouldnt tell anyone.. id keep my old car. buy old place out in country. and continue live life like I have been. but not worry about how to pay this or that.

WØTKX
01-11-2016, 08:11 AM
^^^ This, mostly. I would probably get one HELL of an RV tho.

W3WN
01-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Yeah, well, not so fast guys.

In the fine print, you'll discover that the lottery(s) are required to publicly identify you. I don't think that they HAVE to do it at the time the winning ticket is turned in (they have to verify it, of course) but they do have to do so. You have to agree to this loss of privacy before you get your winnings.

Yes, it sucks.

Personally, I'd make arrangements before the public unmasking to have a private location (owned by a dummy company or similar smokescreen) to move to, and be moved there just prior to the announcement. Get my prop check, smile for the cameras, say little, and as soon as I could, disappear.

Then, through my lawyer and accountant, pay off the bills, set aside some $$ for Little Miss Field Day, my stepson and his family, my mom, and so forth... stash away a big chunk for retirement and other things, just in case (you never know)... and enjoy the rest. That includes doing Good Deeds for those that can be helped -- but without the publicity.

I might even have enough left over to buy and donate a rare receiver or two to a radio museum/collection in SoCal. You never know.

KK4AMI
01-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Don't give any money to sons, daughters, nieces and nephews until they reach 30 years of age. Give them a couple of million before that and you will be reading about them hiding in Mexico and suffering from "afluenza".

XE1/N5AL
01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Don't give any money to sons, daughters, nieces and nephews until they reach 30 years of age. Give them a couple of million before that and you will reading about them hiding in Mexico and suffering from "afluenza".

Puerto Vallarta seems to be a popular spot for Americans on the lam. Probably because they figure they can blend in better with the tourists and the expat community there. The Affluenza Teen was the most recent Puerto Vallarta discovery. Remember when "Dog the Bounty Hunter" went after Andrew Luster there?

WØTKX
01-11-2016, 06:41 PM
In the fine print, you'll discover that the lottery(s) are required to publicly identify you.

Yup, hence the desire for a kickass RV. Keep on truckin'.

kb2crk
01-11-2016, 07:42 PM
^^^ This, mostly. I would probably get one HELL of an RV tho.

I would pay someone else to restore my old RV.... I won 4 bucks in each of the last 2 drawings.

W3WN
01-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Don't give any money to sons, daughters, nieces and nephews until they reach 30 years of age. Give them a couple of million before that and you will be reading about them hiding in Mexico and suffering from "afluenza".
I've thought of that.

A trust fund to cover college tuition. A separate trust fund to cover a significant portion of the first home. And that's it.

The bulk of the estate? Donated to charity.

Remember that guy down in WVa who won a $300 M (give or take) jackpot? He gave a big portion of what was left (he took cash up front and paid the taxes) to his daughter. If memory serves, she died of an OD. And he was found to be spending a lot of time around strippers at strip clubs... because he got robbed of a briefcase full of cash at one. He let the wealth control him, not the other way around, and it ended badly for him and a lot of other people. No thanks. I would not do that to my kids.

Besides, win the big one, and you might have enough left to buy and renovate HARA. Maybe.

KK4AMI
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
I would pay someone else to restore my old RV.... I won 4 bucks in each of the last 2 drawings.

With that many millions, the whole concept of an RV would be questionable. With that much money, why not the biggest, most luxuriant road sedan and just an unlimited credit card. Stay in the best hotels, fanciest restaurants and buy stuff as you need it :lol:

kb2crk
01-11-2016, 10:38 PM
With that many millions, the whole concept of an RV would be questionable. With that much money, why not the biggest, most luxuriant road sedan and just an unlimited credit card. Stay in the best hotels, fanciest restaurants and buy stuff as you need it :lol:
With that much money I could fill the Gas tank on my old RV......

ka4dpo
01-11-2016, 11:43 PM
If I win I'm gonna buy a sandwich.

KC2KFC
01-12-2016, 05:14 AM
Yeah, well, not so fast guys.

In the fine print, you'll discover that the lottery(s) are required to publicly identify you. I don't think that they HAVE to do it at the time the winning ticket is turned in (they have to verify it, of course) but they do have to do so. You have to agree to this loss of privacy before you get your winnings.

There is a way around that and it is to create a trust and have the trust claim the prize. Several people have done it over the years and it allows them to remain anonymous; the attorney and accountant go for the prop check picture.

W3WN
01-12-2016, 08:26 AM
There is a way around that and it is to create a trust and have the trust claim the prize. Several people have done it over the years and it allows them to remain anonymous; the attorney and accountant go for the prop check picture.
Hmmm. Maybe. I don't recall that being done in Pa. in the past, which doesn't mean anything... suffice to say, state laws may vary, and how they apply to the multi-state lotteries remain to be seen.

I'll worry about it when the time comes.

XE1/N5AL
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM
With that much money, I would buy a "GR5V Jr." antenna and then immediately upgrade it to the full-boat "GR5V"! :yes:

NQ6U
01-12-2016, 05:23 PM
I'd buy Emma Stone.

W3WN
01-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I'd buy Emma Stone.She's not for sale.

She might be for rent. Check with her agent.

NA4BH
01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
With that much money, I would buy a "GR5V Jr." antenna and then immediately upgrade it to the full-boat "GR5V"! :yes:

I LOLed

Don't spend it all in one place :rofl:

NA4BH
01-12-2016, 07:15 PM

First thing you do is get a tax attorney

suddenseer
01-12-2016, 08:56 PM
I have always said the lotto is a voluntary tax on those who don't understand math. I might blow $1.00 on a ticket now that the jackpot exceeds $1 billion. If I win, the shock will no doubt cause my heart to fail, so I will leave my survivors very wealthy.

XE1/N5AL
01-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, the Powerball payout will be in Zimbabwe dollars.

KK4AMI
01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
I won in the Powerball Lottery! Ya, $8.00. Guess I'll be buying my Boeing 737 in 1/72 scale from Revell.
I had to fire the pilot however, told him that due to our downsizing of flight operations, he would no longer be a good fit and we had to let him go.