PDA

View Full Version : Sirens went off. Thought it was the big one.

X-Rated
01-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Last night at about midnight the tornado sirens went off in our little town of Oregon, Il. Knowing that there wasn't any real chance of a tornado at midnight in this northern Illinois January early morning, our minds turned to the more sinister threat of a nuclear meltdown. But the sheriff says that there was a radio malfunction and the siren going off was an ass dent.

But it got us to talking about our emergency plan; what we will want to take and more importantly, who we were going to be taking with us. Of course family, but neighbors who are elderly and unable to drive. Slipped our minds until last night.

We need to be getting our stuff together. We need a plan.

n2ize
01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
In the event of an enemy nuclear attack I am staying right here where I will be needed the most. In my city. No heading to the hills for me.

NQ6U
01-03-2016, 02:37 PM
“This is only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, you don’t really think we’d hang around long enough to tell you slobs about it, do you?”

KC2KFC
01-04-2016, 04:30 AM
There is more to think about than a “nuclear meltdown” or nuclear attack. Other natural disasters can occur and the key is being prepared. Here are a few things, off the top of my head, I can think of:

1.) Food - I would say 3 to 5 days worth for each person evacuating. We may only be going to an evacuation center, but we still need to bring our own food.

2.) Water - This is a little tricky as this stuff gets heavy. Personally I keep a 5 gallon jug of it and refill it every month. This is for drinking and cooking only.

3.) Clean socks and underwear - I hope this needs no explanation.

4.) Cash - Believe it or not our precious debit or credit cards may not work if network infrastructure is down; minimum $1,000 in this day and age.

5.) When my fuel gauge gets to 1/2 I try to hit the gas station to top off my car. We’re not going to get very far on an 1/8 of a tank of gas.

6.) Boots for walking, if that route is necessary.

7.) I would think 3 to 5 preplanned evacuation routes, with maps and even a real old fashioned compass is a good idea. In the event of a national emergency the federal government may decide to limit civilian access to GPS.

8.) Books to pass the time. There will be down time, and for me there is nothing like a good book to pass the time.

9.) If we are evacuated to an emergency shelter remember we will be sharing our living quarters with strangers. This is where those important social skills come into place. As my mom used to say, when you’re talking to a stranger it’s impolite to talk religion and politics. We will all need to get along to get through the disaster/experience/adventure (think positive which is why I mention the word adventure).

10.) The public authorities will surely be directing traffic and other essential services, this is not the time for us to whine and bitch about the government, we will have to do as the say within reason.

Just my nickel's worth of free advice.

KC2UGV
01-06-2016, 11:52 AM
In the event of an enemy nuclear attack I am staying right here where I will be needed the most. In my city. No heading to the hills for me.

You're in the same boat as I. In the event of a nuclear attack, there wont be a chance to run to the hills... We're located in the immediate kill zone of primary targets.

WØTKX
01-06-2016, 12:08 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5138/5504751565_3c13c26a89_b.jpg

NQ6U
01-06-2016, 01:47 PM
You're in the same boat as I. In the event of a nuclear attack, there wont be a chance to run to the hills... We're located in the immediate kill zone of primary targets.

Same here. Because of it's huge Navy presence (including a fleet of nuclear missile submarines), San Diego will be one of the first targets hit in the event of a nuclear attack.

KC2KFC
01-06-2016, 02:28 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5138/5504751565_3c13c26a89_b.jpg
One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.

KK4AMI
01-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Until poor Burgess Meredith broke his glasses, he was the happiest last man on earth just reading. I guess a lot of hobbies would have to go. Could you imagine being the last Radio Operator on earth? Your choice of top of the line equipment and only silence on all bands.

ka4dpo
01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
There is more to think about than a “nuclear meltdown” or nuclear attack. Other natural disasters can occur and the key is being prepared. Here are a few things, off the top of my head, I can think of:

1.) Food - I would say 3 to 5 days worth for each person evacuating. We may only be going to an evacuation center, but we still need to bring our own food.

2.) Water - This is a little tricky as this stuff gets heavy. Personally I keep a 5 gallon jug of it and refill it every month. This is for drinking and cooking only.

3.) Clean socks and underwear - I hope this needs no explanation.

4.) Cash - Believe it or not our precious debit or credit cards may not work if network infrastructure is down; minimum $1,000 in this day and age.

5.) When my fuel gauge gets to 1/2 I try to hit the gas station to top off my car. We’re not going to get very far on an 1/8 of a tank of gas.

6.) Boots for walking, if that route is necessary.

7.) I would think 3 to 5 preplanned evacuation routes, with maps and even a real old fashioned compass is a good idea. In the event of a national emergency the federal government may decide to limit civilian access to GPS.

8.) Books to pass the time. There will be down time, and for me there is nothing like a good book to pass the time.

9.) If we are evacuated to an emergency shelter remember we will be sharing our living quarters with strangers. This is where those important social skills come into place. As my mom used to say, when you’re talking to a stranger it’s impolite to talk religion and politics. We will all need to get along to get through the disaster/experience/adventure (think positive which is why I mention the word adventure).

10.) The public authorities will surely be directing traffic and other essential services, this is not the time for us to whine and bitch about the government, we will have to do as the say within reason.

Just my nickel's worth of free advice.

That's a good start but could be improved for example, we are hams, replace 3. with reflective vest, go kit with spare HT batteries, Radio badge, etc.

You will need Jerky and corn nuts for food and no water, soda has sugar in it also beer, beer has food value it's like a pork chop in a bottle.

Also, cash is useless, bring a couple of cases of cigarettes and liquor for bartering, a 45 or 9mm helps to keep you from losing your barter status.

Lastly any escape plan should have West Virginia as a final destination. It's poor and polluted, there is nothing there that anyone want's.

These are of course tongue in cheek, or are they?:mrgreen:

KC2UGV
01-06-2016, 08:47 PM
That's a good start but could be improved for example, we are hams, replace 3. with reflective vest, go kit with spare HT batteries, Radio badge, etc.

You will need Jerky and corn nuts for food and no water, soda has sugar in it also beer, beer has food value it's like a pork chop in a bottle.

Also, cash is useless, bring a couple of cases of cigarettes and liquor for bartering, a 45 or 9mm helps to keep you from losing your barter status.

Lastly any escape plan should have West Virginia as a final destination. It's poor and polluted, there is nothing there that anyone want's.

These are of course tongue in cheek, or are they?:mrgreen:

Make sure you have plenty of snacks, and a blue tarp too!

KG4CGC
01-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Until poor Burgess Meredith broke his glasses, he was the happiest last man on earth just reading. I guess a lot of hobbies would have to go. Could you imagine being the last Radio Operator on earth? Your choice of top of the line equipment and only silence on all bands.

That's a good analogy. Make sure you have plenty of snacks.

suddenseer
01-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Keep those HT batteries charged, Have plenty of cash, condoms, and cookies on hand. Don't break your glasses.

KK4AMI
01-06-2016, 09:57 PM
The way I have been eating this holiday season, I can scratch "plenty of snacks" off the list for at least a year.