PDA

View Full Version : Fun resto

w2amr
12-30-2015, 03:55 AM
I just finished up the restoration on a 1949 RCA 45 RPM automatic record changer. Since it has no audio amplifier, I have the low level audio output plugged into the phono jack on the Silvertone floor console radio. The thing really sounds good.

NQ6U
12-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Nifty! Restorations like that are fun. What did the job entail?

w2amr
12-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Nifty! Restorations like that are fun. What did the job entail?Disassembly& cleaning. Lot's of cleaning. I got a new stylus , drive wheel, and motor mounts from a company in Michigan. I polished the cabinet and tone arm. I Put a drop or two of 3in1 oil on all moving parts. This will give you an idea of what it sounds like.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/jerseygeorge441/media/My%20Ham%20Radio%20Station/003_zps8vjis3p9.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

n0iu
12-30-2015, 11:44 PM
As the Keno Brothers tell you all the time on Antiques Roadshow, "Don't fuck with the original finish!"

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/images/milwaukee_200604A22_s02.jpg

But noooooooooooooooo! You had to go mess with it! In its original condition, at a well advertised auction, it would have probably brought $75-80,000. But now that you have polished the cabinet, you might be lucky to get $50 for it. Good job!

Other than that.... looks and sounds great!

WØTKX
12-31-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm still looking for an older Dual turntable. $pendy tho.

w2amr
12-31-2015, 01:59 PM
As the Keno Brothers tell you all the time on Antiques Roadshow, "Don't fuck with the original finish!"

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/images/milwaukee_200604A22_s02.jpg

But noooooooooooooooo! You had to go mess with it! In its original condition, at a well advertised auction, it would have probably brought $75-80,000. But now that you have polished the cabinet, you might be lucky to get $50 for it. Good job!

Other than that.... looks and sounds great!
That's BS, Go look on E-bay. Unrestored units like this are going for around $50 - $60. top flight restorations WITH polished cabinets, are going for $300-$500.

n2ize
12-31-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm still looking for an older Dual turntable. $pendy tho.
I might have an old Dual turntable (circa 1970). Back in the early 60's my Dad had an Empire turntable which was state of the art for it's time. Just looked at a few on Ebay and they are commanding a rather high price.

N8YX
12-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Nice job as always, George. :yes:

w2amr
01-01-2016, 04:09 AM
Nice job as always, George. :yes:Tnx Fred. I just started doing another RCA 45 player that my neighbor gave me . But this one is bigger, and has a little 3 tube audio amp and speaker built into the cabinet. Looks like I'll be doing some soldering, as most of the caps have to be changed. Gee, I hope I don't devalue it.:mrgreen:

KG4CGC
01-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Nice work, George. FYE is selling a similar looking turntable with USB and Bluetooth ... which has nothing to do with what you just did here.

kb2vxa
01-01-2016, 11:04 AM
To quote one of my favorite villains, exxxxxxcelent. Run Around Sue and Get A Job, more exxxxxxcellent records. The Silvertone sounds good too with Godzilla at the heart of my home entertainment system, no crap computer speakers here.

"Back in the early 60's my Dad had an Empire turntable which was state of the art for it's time."
There were three generations of the Troubadour pretty much alike and state of the art for ALL time when playing vinyl. With a synchronous motor and 4lb belt driven platter there was no fussing around with a strobe light and fine speed adjust to compensate for a drifting crystal, KISS all the way. Here's a picture of my 598 just before seeing service at a certain pirate AM station, I wonder who that is sitting at the controls playing a tape on the Berlant Concertone rack mounted tape deck.

w2amr
01-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice work, George. FYE is selling a similar looking turntable with USB and Bluetooth ... which has nothing to do with what you just did here. I haven't listened to vinyl on an old machine like this in many years Charles. It's a lot of fun. Amazing, all of the memories coming back.

w2amr
01-01-2016, 04:09 PM
To quote one of my favorite villains, exxxxxxcelent. Run Around Sue and Get A Job, more exxxxxxcellent records. The Silvertone sounds good too with Godzilla at the heart of my home entertainment system, no crap computer speakers here.

"Back in the early 60's my Dad had an Empire turntable which was state of the art for it's time."
There were three generations of the Troubadour pretty much alike and state of the art for ALL time when playing vinyl. With a synchronous motor and 4lb belt driven platter there was no fussing around with a strobe light and fine speed adjust to compensate for a drifting crystal, KISS all the way. Here's a picture of my 598 just before seeing service at a certain pirate AM station, I wonder who that is sitting at the controls playing a tape on the Berlant Concertone rack mounted tape deck.The STP sticker completes the look.:mrgreen:

WØTKX
01-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Andy G. approves the STP sticker. :)

KG4CGC
01-01-2016, 08:11 PM
I haven't listened to vinyl on an old machine like this in many years Charles. It's a lot of fun. Amazing, all of the memories coming back.

Neither have I and I have some old vinyl put back that I'm preserving.

w2amr
01-02-2016, 03:52 AM
Andy G. approves the STP sticker. :)He made a few bucks off of that stuff, that's for sure.

ka4dpo
01-02-2016, 12:02 PM
I just finished up the restoration on a 1949 RCA 45 RPM automatic record changer. Since it has no audio amplifier, I have the low level audio output plugged into the phono jack on the Silvertone floor console radio. The thing really sounds good.

What are those round things??:-D

NQ6U
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
What are those round things??:-D

Mexican doughtillas.

WØTKX
01-02-2016, 04:49 PM
To achieve enlightenment, you must understand diversity.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/twenty45.jpg

w2amr
01-03-2016, 06:08 PM
I didn't have any 45 rpm records, so I went to the record store and bought 6 of them. Then a few days later, Kath's aunt said she had some 45's from her brother's estate, and that I could have them. I now have 280 45 rpm records. I'm jamming to the oldies here in the shack.:dance::rock:

WØTKX
01-03-2016, 06:35 PM
If you ever have the time, transcribe them to digital files.

You might have some rare stuff. :agree:

ka4dpo
01-03-2016, 10:48 PM
When I was 10 or 11 a friend of mines teenage brother had a very cool 56 Chevy convertible. He had a small 45 record changer mounted on a spring plate on the floor and the output was routed through the amplifier in the cars AM radio. That was the only one like it I ever saw but it was not a home brew setup.

NQ6U
01-04-2016, 12:23 AM
When I was 10 or 11 a friend of mines teenage brother had a very cool 56 Chevy convertible. He had a small 45 record changer mounted on a spring plate on the floor and the output was routed through the amplifier in the cars AM radio. That was the only one like it I ever saw but it was not a home brew setup.

When I was about the same age, my best friend's father had a '56 Caddy with a 78 RPM turntable that folded down from under the dash. It also played through the AM radio. I'm not sure if it came from the factory that way but if not, it was a very clean aftermarket installation.

w2amr
01-04-2016, 03:49 AM
If you ever have the time, transcribe them to digital files.

You might have some rare stuff. :agree: That's not a bad idea Dave.

N2CHX
01-04-2016, 08:13 AM
To achieve enlightenment, you must understand diversity.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/twenty45.jpg

That grey Fidelitone adapter at the end of the second row doubles as a gap feeler. When you're done listening to some tunes you can go give a tuneup to your car.

NQ6U
01-04-2016, 10:41 AM
That grey Fidelitone adapter at the end of the second row doubles as a gap feeler. When you're done listening to some tunes you can go give a tuneup to your car.

Assuming you own a car that's more than about 30 years old, anyhow.

KG4CGC
01-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Assuming you own a car that's more than about 30 years old, anyhow.

Well, she did say, "gap feeler."

WØTKX
01-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Feel the gap, man!

NQ6U
01-05-2016, 01:04 AM
http://afewdollarsmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/mind_the_gap-logo.jpg

kb2crk
01-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Beautiful job on the resto George. I myself still have LPs and the turntable has been updated a couple times over the years. Current turntable is set up for digital conversion and there is an older laptop hooked up to it just for that purpose. I would love to find an older Miracord Turntable as my father has yet to give his up. It had an interesting speed selection from 78 to 33 1/3. (may have had another speed but it has been decades since I last looked closely at it) I have found Goodwill to be a decent source of albums but I have not seen many 45s there.

w2amr
01-06-2016, 04:26 AM
Beautiful job on the resto George. I myself still have LPs and the turntable has been updated a couple times over the years. Current turntable is set up for digital conversion and there is an older laptop hooked up to it just for that purpose. I would love to find an older Miracord Turntable as my father has yet to give his up. It had an interesting speed selection from 78 to 33 1/3. (may have had another speed but it has been decades since I last looked closely at it) I have found Goodwill to be a decent source of albums but I have not seen many 45s there.We have a Jupiter record store about 15 minutes from here. They sell 45's for around a buck a piece. I didn't price LP's

kb2crk
01-06-2016, 08:35 AM
We have a Jupiter record store about 15 minutes from here. They sell 45's for around a buck a piece. I didn't price LP's
The local Goodwill sells the lps for 77 cents a piece. Sometimes i find a few really good ones and sometimes there is nothing but crap. It is worth it to stop and look every so often.

w2amr
01-15-2016, 06:19 AM
The local Goodwill sells the lps for 77 cents a piece. Sometimes i find a few really good ones and sometimes there is nothing but crap. It is worth it to stop and look every so often.I do the same thing at the record store. They sell 45's in fair to poor condition for 33 cents. The one's in really good shape are $1-$2 each.