PDA

View Full Version : Captain reports abandoned boat via 14.300

K9CCH
12-12-2015, 04:20 AM
Thought y'all might find this interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtlnhSzHhss

K7SGJ
12-12-2015, 11:22 AM
It must be true what they say............when everything else fails

Makes me proud. Now where did I put my badge, orange vest, Twinkie lights.......

I wonder how the fishing is?

KG4CGC
12-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Thought y'all might find this interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtlnhSzHhss

"And you want national healthcare?"

KK4AMI
12-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Kind of a strange report. The report of red paint on the hull tipped me off. Usually, Search and Rescue paints a derelict or abandoned aircraft hull with a red x to indicate it's been searched and cleared. After I googled the name of the boat, I found out that boat had already been reported and the Coast Guard removed two passengers. So you might say "This was a drill". I still like 14.300 to do the occasional radio "check" in with the net

WX7P
12-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Kind of a strange report. The report of red paint on the hull tipped me off. Usually, Search and Rescue paints a derelict or abandoned aircraft hull with a red x to indicate it's been searched and cleared. After I googled the name of the boat, I found out that boat had already been reported and the Coast Guard removed two passengers. So you might say "This was a drill". I still like 14.300 to do the occasional radio "check" in with the net

I did not know that.

Good information for future reference. Thanks!

K9CCH
12-13-2015, 07:47 PM

So the coast guard just rescues people? I guess the owners are responsible for retrieving their own boat?

KG4NEL
12-15-2015, 10:37 PM
So the coast guard just rescues people? I guess the owners are responsible for retrieving their own boat?

Commercial tow operators will be glad to show up.

KC2UGV
12-17-2015, 02:28 PM

Yes.

In fact, there's good money to be had recovering vessels, either with the owner's request, or abandoned at sea. Abandoned at sea, and it's open season for whoever grabs it. Larger vessels fetch good prices for either scrap, or rebuild.