PDA

View Full Version : 2M Tower

kd8ezj
12-09-2015, 09:09 AM
I have been hitting the local repeater with my little 2M HT and I am thinking about stepping up to a real antenna. I marked up the image below with my current thoughts on erecting a tower. Local regulations say I can have radio or television aerials no higher than 50 feet. The red lines below are power and blue are data. I have indicated my shack location as well as a 50 foot yellow line indicating where the tower would lay prior to pushing it up into position. The tower itself would be a Universal Tower #4-30 with a single 2M vertical on top. Someone offered me a Ringo Ranger on the local repeater last night. If I use that antenna the tower+aerial would stay well under local limits. The tower location was chosen because it is close to the shack, the most inconspicuous tower location on the lot and I can erect it and feed it without having to cross any power lines. Comments, concerns? I am hoping to get the tower purchased and set up this spring.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/Tower_zpsgwxmeres.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/mrbill2u/media/Tower_zpsgwxmeres.jpg.html)

PA5COR
12-09-2015, 09:16 AM
The power line next to it might be a problem, better prevent the tower from being able to fall over the power line.

Only one antenna used the tower will almost see no sideway forces in gales though except it's own square feet and a small vertical.

Safety first, we here in the Netherlands have all powerlines, data cable etc under ground... ;)

K7SGJ
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
The power line next to it might be a problem, better prevent the tower from being able to fall over the power line.

Only one antenna used the tower will almost see no sideway forces in gales though except it's own square feet and a small vertical.

Safety first, we here in the Netherlands have all powerlines, data cable etc under ground... ;)

And so are most of the ham operators. :stirpot:

PA5COR
12-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Nah, my house is about sealevel protected by 30 foot high levee's at the coast 15 miles away.
I;m 7 feet tall so why you claim I'm under ground? not yet anyway ;)
Enjoying our new 60 meter band LOL

And so are most of the ham operators. :stirpot:

N8YX
12-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Bill,

First off, you're not safely going to "walk" a tower such as that into position. It needs to be assembled vertically in place - section by section, using the proper rigging equipment. It should be supported by a poured, reinforced concrete base which is at or greater than code depth and width for the expected loads. I would also install a reinforcing bracket from tower to house.

The above said...I have the needed equipment, as does at least one other person who is local to both of us. We can help you assemble the structure and place antennas atop it.

Speaking of - I also have several 2M/440 Yagi beams which are in need of a good home. Yours for the taking.

kd8ezj
12-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks! The "walk it into place" was due to the mfg suggesting ground assembly and mounting then using the hinged base to stand it up fully assembled. My plan was a 4ftx3ft concrete footer with the base section buried to mfg recommendations. The assembly instructions for that tower are at http://www.universaltowers.com/I-T.pdf It is the baby one, so the tower weight is less than 40 pounds.

I may take you up on one of those beams. The tower work will likely not be until March/April. I will definitely take you up on the manpower and experience at putting up towers. I have neither.