PDA

View Full Version : LED replacement bulbs

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I found a good source for LED replacement bulbs, for cheap. $2.99 for a 40 watt equivalent and $3.99 for a 60 watt. They have pretty much every other conceivable type of LED replacement bulb as well, including replacements for fluorescent tubes.

I bought 8 of the 40 watt A19's and 8 of the 60 watt A19's. Quite frankly, the 40 watt replacements are as bright as the 75 watt CFL's or about the same as a 60 watt bulb. They consume only 5.5 watts. Nice warm, white-yellow glow.

Here's a comparison of the 60 watt bulbs. On the left is the EarthLED 9.5 watt (60 watt equiv) and on the right is the Cree 9.5 watt (60 watt equiv) bulb I bought a few months ago from Home Depot for $6.99. The EarthLED bulb is much brighter, but offers the same warm, incandescent glow. I suppose this could be from aging, but the bulb is not that old.

Get them here: https://www.earthled.com/ (No, I'm not affiliated with this site. I just thought it was nice to share this).

These bulbs feel really solid and they arrived in about a week. Free shipping.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 12:06 PM
The only stupid thing about this company I found was their pricing. They have advertised 1 bulb for $2.99 or 10 for $29.99 and a lot of products are advertised similarly. I did email them about their weird "volume pricing". If you simply order 10 single bulbs as opposed to the 10 pack, you don't pay the extra 9 cents and the bulbs you get are the same. Weird, but whatever. Beats the hell out of paying Home Depot prices. I bought those Cree bulbs on sale for $6.99 each and I have not seen anything anywhere near as low as $3 for a good LED replacement A19 lamp since then.

N8YX
12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Any RFI/EMI problems with these?

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Any RFI/EMI problems with these?

Great question! I don't know. Let me fire up a radio and report back.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Simple test with a portable AM/FM/SW radio positioned various ways within 6" to a couple of feet from lamp fixture says no. Just a minor "snap" when you turn it on, which is probably just from the switch contacts. By comparison, one of my CFL's that close produces hash all over the place.

ka4dpo
12-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I bought four Chinese 7 watt LED bulbs for the lights over the kitchen sink. They make a ton of radio noise from 3.5 to almost 10MHZ, they generate an S9 noise level across 40 meters. I have changed out all of the outdoor lights and almost all of the indoor lights to LED's and these are the only ones that generate any kind of noise. I guess I will have to replace them with the more expensive Phillips bulbs but I don't want these things. The weird thing is that I got almost all of the other LED bulbs from the same source.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I bought four Chinese 7 watt LED bulbs for the lights over the kitchen sink. They make a ton of radio noise from 3.5 to almost 10MHZ, they generate an S9 noise level across 40 meters. I have changed out all of the outdoor lights and almost all of the indoor lights to LED's and these are the only ones that generate any kind of noise. I guess I will have to replace them with the more expensive Phillips bulbs but I don't want these things. The weird thing is that I got almost all of the other LED bulbs from the same source.

What brand are they, out of curiosity? These are Chinese, according to the bottom of the box. The only thing detected so far is a slight 60 Hz buzz, but it's much lower than the noise put out by a CFL or even the network cable running through my office about 6 feet away.

W3WN
12-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Kel, welcome back! Haven't seen you for a while.

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking into these.

PA5COR
12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
I got the Philips 5.5 watt and 9.5 watt (40 & 60 watt equivalent) in the livingroom, almost the same colour as the incandescent lamps, same look as the ones you pictured.
The 2 of 5.5 watt are normally enough to light the living room enough for watching telly and do some work on the lappy.
For reading the 9.5 watt above me goes on, and provides more then enough light to read even the smallest stuff.

2 other 5.5 watt replaced other cfl's in the house, my son's main lighting 3 x 5.5 watt small lamps are replaced to le'd lamps as well, so only a few left to replace.

Outside lamps are next 2 x 9.5 watt should do, I already have LED light at the end of the garden, a 3 watt panel fed from the PSU that feeds the active homebrew H.F. antenna there.
Kitchen and utility room, and attic sprout T.L lighting as well the repair/building electronic stuff room above.
Waiting for the plasma tv to die and replace it with LED tv.... won't happen fast I presume, but advantage is this one has no noise on H.F.
Back to play on our new 5 MHz band ;)

KK4AMI
12-05-2015, 07:06 AM
I've been using that company to replace lights in my closets. You can buy whole ceiling light units for about 20 bucks. They are direct replacements, all you need is a screwdriver. Next will be the recessed lights in the bathrooms.

N8YX
12-05-2015, 12:48 PM
I need a couple of 4-light LED track lights for my living room. Anyone know of decent bargains on them?

PA5COR
12-05-2015, 03:19 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans-Track-Lighting/LED/N-5yc1vZc7ndZ1z0ogmr

;)

N2CHX
12-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Kel, welcome back! Haven't seen you for a while.

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking into these.

Thanks! and glad to share something useful :)

kb2crk
12-07-2015, 09:28 AM
I have been switching to Phillips led bulbs and getting them from Amazon. Every so often the go on sale for 4 to 5 bucks per bulb and I order some. I find them much better than the comparable CFLs I am replacing them with. Outside the house I am still using halogen as my outside lights on the front dim automatically and brighten back up on Motion sensors. I am finding those harder to find now.

n2ize
12-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Still using carbon filament incandescent's here.

kb2crk
12-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Carbon filament incandescent bulbs are great but hard to find in a usable lumens level. I still have some in the garage. I am going to have to find some 100W halogen a19 bulbs for the front porch lights.

NQ6U
12-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Bah, none o' that newfangled e-lec-trickle stuff for me. I use whale oil lamps.

KJ3N
12-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Bah, none o' that newfangled e-lec-trickle stuff for me. I use whale oil lamps.

The Japanese thank you.

N8YX
12-08-2015, 10:29 AM
The Japanese thank you.

Meh, keeps this season's Whale Wars running...

ka4dpo
12-08-2015, 10:47 AM
What brand are they, out of curiosity? These are Chinese, according to the bottom of the box. The only thing detected so far is a slight 60 Hz buzz, but it's much lower than the noise put out by a CFL or even the network cable running through my office about 6 feet away.

I get all of them here:

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/LED_Lights/

None of them have brand names on them although a few have some Chinese writing on them. The noisy ones have nothing but a bar code on the box. Like I said none of the other LED lights from this company have been a problem. I put CFL's back in the over counter lights until I can get some quiet LEDs.

kb2crk
12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Ikea currently has an Ikea Family Sale on the 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs. A package of 2 for $4.49. I picked up 2 of them while I was there and will try them out.