PDA

View Full Version : Sundance Scam

W3WN
12-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Got a text from Little Miss Field Day this morning. She got a phone call telling her that she needed to call an 800 number regarding the cruise that she just won... and she called, and they wanted $$$ for taxes and fees on the "free" cruise. Was it a scam?

As soon as I saw that the 800 number belonged to Sundance Vacations, I smelled a rat. They don't exactly have a good reputation.

I've dealt with them twice over the years. The first time was when the Boss filled out a "win a free vacation" coupon at a ball game; at the time, when they called the house, they wanted $650 (each) to cover "taxes, fees, and paperwork charges" for the "free" vacation. I refused. Found out a few days later (I was doing some programming for the owner of a travel agency) that he could have booked us a better trip than the "free" cruise for less.

The second time, the Boss wanted to go hear their presentation. The "hour" ended up being almost three, most of which was spent in high-pressure sales tactics for us to buy into their time-share scheme. Verbal 'guarantees' of vacation condos all over North America, but nothing in writing... and, of course, you have to decide RIGHT NOW, no chance to think about it or verify anything. We finally escaped with our "gift vouchers" that turned out to only be good on a web site the company was associated with, and all for trinkets and junk.

So I don't have a high reputation of these people. (And I don't fill out "win a free trip" coupons at events... sadly, the Boss still thinks about it, and I suspect LMFD got suckered at the WWE event she went to the other night)

But trying to con a college freshman? That's a new low, even for this kind of outfit.

Anyone else ever deal with this outfit, good bad or indifferent?

http://articles.philly.com/2014-10-06/news/54657590_1_customers-high-pressure-sales-tactics-sundance-vacations

N8YX
12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
It's similar to the "timeshare" scams which were popular a few years back.

Paraphrased into Olde English, a proper response would be "Bugger off, you sorry group of sodding wankers". I'm still rusty on Yiddish and Russian curse phrases ('PIH could possibly help with the latter) else I'd give you a few in those dialects.

W3WN
12-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Well, LMFD is learning a valuable lesson: Never fill out a "free vacation" entry form at a public event.

No worries on the Yiddish. I'm handling that. (Nice thing about Yiddish... the other party can be fairly certain that you've insulted them, but will often have no idea of the depth of the insult, because they lack the background to be aware of all of the nuances involved. )

W2NAP
12-04-2015, 01:56 PM
It's similar to the "timeshare" scams which were popular a few years back.Paraphrased into Olde English, a proper response would be "Bugger off, you sorry group of sodding wankers". I'm still rusty on Yiddish and Russian curse phrases ('PIH could possibly help with the latter) else I'd give you a few in those dialects.just watch some Russian dash cam vids, that will help on cursing in Russian

KG4NEL
12-04-2015, 03:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avAX4WpnqY

das asteroid tovarisch!

n0iu
12-05-2015, 11:18 AM
I have always been fond of this Yiddish curse...

װאַקסן זאָלסטו װי אַ ציבעלע מיטן קאָפּ אין דר'ערד און די פֿיס פֿאַרקערט

IOW, "May you grow like an onion with your head in the ground and your feet in the air!"