PDA

View Full Version : PC2100 ram sticks

W2NAP
11-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Anyone got some good sticks laying around? my good machine caught fire last night (yeah literally caught on fire) total loss. I had to dig up this old HP Pavilion 753n out of the bonepile. it works but it is slow laggy as hell.

anyone got any pc2100 266mhz sticks laying around? would like to get this box up to at least 2gb ram.

N8YX
11-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Anyone got some good sticks laying around? my good machine caught fire last night (yeah literally caught on fire) total loss. I had to dig up this old HP Pavilion 753n out of the bonepile. it works but it is slow laggy as hell.

anyone got any pc2100 266mhz sticks laying around? would like to get this box up to at least 2gb ram.

I might. Let me check Ye Olde Stash.

W2NAP
11-26-2015, 03:13 PM
I might. Let me check Ye Olde Stash.

thanks. this old machine won't be too bad with 2g of ram stuck in it.

kb2crk
11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
I will check the junk box when I get home. I know i had a machine that used those and it is in the garage somewhere.

W2NAP
11-30-2015, 05:20 PM
cool thanks, this box only has 2 slots. can't seem to find anyone local who has 1G sticks

kb2crk
12-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I have only found 1 512 mb stick. I am pretty sure I have a couple 1 gb sticks here somewhere. I will look more tomorrow. Was busy hanging lights today.

W2NAP
12-01-2015, 10:10 PM
thanks, kinda wish I never got rid of all the old computer stuff I had.... then again I never thought my good computer would actually catch fire.

kb2crk
12-02-2015, 06:39 PM
No luck so far but my garage is a disaster. Between the kids just throwing stuff in there and the dogs chasing the cat around in there I am having trouble finding half of my parts boxes.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 11:24 AM
I think I have a bunch. Let me look.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Tell you what... I have access to some much newer machines. They were purchased in bulk from a college auction. They are quad core running at 2.4 or 2.6 gHz and have 4gb of RAM. If you can wait a few days until I can get to where they are stored, Santa will ship one to you. Just add monitor, keyboard and mouse.

That work? I can't find any of the PC2100, 2700 or 3200 I had laying around here. I may have finally gotten rid of it.

N2CHX
12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Tell you what... I have access to some much newer machines. They were purchased in bulk from a college auction. They are quad core running at 2.4 or 2.6 gHz and have 4gb of RAM. If you can wait a few days until I can get to where they are stored, Santa will ship one to you. Just add monitor, keyboard and mouse.

That work? I can't find any of the PC2100, 2700 or 3200 I had laying around here. I may have finally gotten rid of it.

BTW, these may or may not have Windows 7 on them as well. I think they at least have a working license key. Not sure what's left in the stock. Some had them, some didn't. They all had a 160 to 250 gb hard drive.

W2NAP
12-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Tell you what... I have access to some much newer machines. They were purchased in bulk from a college auction. They are quad core running at 2.4 or 2.6 gHz and have 4gb of RAM. If you can wait a few days until I can get to where they are stored, Santa will ship one to you. Just add monitor, keyboard and mouse. That work? I can't find any of the PC2100, 2700 or 3200 I had laying around here. I may have finally gotten rid of it.
BTW, these may or may not have Windows 7 on them as well. I think they at least have a working license key. Not sure what's left in the stock. Some had them, some didn't. They all had a 160 to 250 gb hard drive.that works, Thanks!. as for OS its fine if it don't have any OS, I'll put Debian on it or some distro of linux.

N2CHX
12-05-2015, 08:49 AM
that works, Thanks!. as for OS its fine if it don't have any OS, I'll put Debian on it or some distro of linux.

Cool. I will be going to the storage site tomorrow evening. I have three of these in my office and they run Linux quite nicely.

W2NAP
12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Cool. I will be going to the storage site tomorrow evening. I have three of these in my office and they run Linux quite nicely.I been running debian 8 lxde stable

N2CHX
12-06-2015, 11:30 PM
OK.... I snagged one tonight... So where is this going? Please PM :-)

N2CHX
12-06-2015, 11:32 PM
I been running debian 8 lxde stable

Cool. I'm liking CentOS a lot, especially for servers. But outside of that, for anything that isn't a Raspberry Pi, I like Mint Cinnamon.

KJ3N
12-07-2015, 12:34 AM
.... I like Mint Cinnamon.

Is it wafer thin? ;)

https://bybio.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wafer-thin-mint.jpg

W2NAP
12-07-2015, 03:23 AM
Cool. I'm liking CentOS a lot, especially for servers. But outside of that, for anything that isn't a Raspberry Pi, I like Mint Cinnamon.server that runs the allstar/echolink on the repeater is CentOS. app_rpt folks did come up with a newer version so to speak built on Debian. my home box been using Debian LXDE. I like Debian for the stability. packages might be a touch older then say mint/ubuntu but man is it stable. Most of my linux exp. has been with Debian so I guess for me its a comfort thing.

N2CHX
12-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Is it wafer thin? ;)

https://bybio.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wafer-thin-mint.jpg

Only in the fall. :lol:

N2CHX
12-07-2015, 08:58 AM
server that runs the allstar/echolink on the repeater is CentOS. app_rpt folks did come up with a newer version so to speak built on Debian. my home box been using Debian LXDE. I like Debian for the stability. packages might be a touch older then say mint/ubuntu but man is it stable. Most of my linux exp. has been with Debian so I guess for me its a comfort thing.

Actually, Ubuntu and Mint are Debian based, so some packages in Debian might be updated a bit sooner. I never really looked into how the package flow goes, to be honest, and I develop software haha.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, there is no wrong when it comes to Linux :snicker:

BTW Debian was the only flavor of Linux I could get to install on some old HP servers I inherited from a radio station in New Orleans after Katrina. Everything else bombed trying to install on the big RAID array, but Debian happily installed and ran just fine. It's a good O/S. IMO Ubuntu is too dumbed down now. Great for the average user who needs user-friendliness and for things to just work but not get into the bowels of things, but not for someone who likes to tinker around with stuff. I spend a lot of time in a terminal window.

W2NAP
12-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Actually, Ubuntu and Mint are Debian based, so some packages in Debian might be updated a bit sooner. I never really looked into how the package flow goes, to be honest, and I develop software haha.Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, there is no wrong when it comes to Linux :snicker:BTW Debian was the only flavor of Linux I could get to install on some old HP servers I inherited from a radio station in New Orleans after Katrina. Everything else bombed trying to install on the big RAID array, but Debian happily installed and ran just fine. It's a good O/S. IMO Ubuntu is too dumbed down now. Great for the average user who needs user-friendliness and for things to just work but not get into the bowels of things, but not for someone who likes to tinker around with stuff. I spend a lot of time in a terminal window.I find Debian just works, granted for mulimedia got to add the deb-muli repos in but i have always had good luck with it. Debian has the stable branch which is pretty damn stable, Ubuntu pulls from sid. lts from testing