PDA

View Full Version : I'm free!!!!

KA9MOT
11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
They've finally released me! Well, they did on Monday. 2 surgeries and more than a week in the hospital and I've developed a new appreciation for Diabetic Foot Care. I may still lose the foot, but at least now I have a chance. I'm home with a vacuum pump, a funny shoe and a cane.

You should see the pictures....hihi (You don't want to)

W3WN
11-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbXTnoP5lkw

PA5COR
11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Get better soon ya hear? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

W3WN
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Get better soon ya hear? :mrgreen::mrgreen:And quit kicking the furniture when your favorite sports team (or whatever) loses! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

KG4CGC
11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Heal foot soon better.

n2ize
11-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Glad you are back and I hope things go well and keep that foot. I know, diabetes can be a bummer. I have a couple friends who have had foot, leg and arm problems due to diabetes. Even I have to watch my sugar intake as sometimes my sugar tends to lean to the high side.

K0RGR
11-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Get well, friend... that reminds me, I need to run to Wal Mart for some insulin ASAP.

W5BRM
11-15-2015, 06:54 PM
I have type2 diabetes. Not on Insulin but controlling by diet and oral meds. I've been trying a low carb high fat diet for the last 4 months. Got my blood sugars under control in under 2 weeks. A1C went from a 9.6 to 5.9 in that amount of time. An A1c of 9.6 means my average daily blood sugar was running 264 for 90 days. WAY out of control. A1C of 5.9 is an average of 133 over 90 days. so in 90 days I went from 264 to 133 daily average. Something you might want to look into if you're not already eating LCHF. Google LCHF or Ketogenic Way of Eating. it's a different way of eating. Bit hard at the start but once you get into it, it works like a charm

K0RGR
11-19-2015, 03:07 PM
I have type2 diabetes. Not on Insulin but controlling by diet and oral meds. I've been trying a low carb high fat diet for the last 4 months. Got my blood sugars under control in under 2 weeks. A1C went from a 9.6 to 5.9 in that amount of time. An A1c of 9.6 means my average daily blood sugar was running 264 for 90 days. WAY out of control. A1C of 5.9 is an average of 133 over 90 days. so in 90 days I went from 264 to 133 daily average. Something you might want to look into if you're not already eating LCHF. Google LCHF or Ketogenic Way of Eating. it's a different way of eating. Bit hard at the start but once you get into it, it works like a charm

Kind of a ditto - I'm on a very low carb diet. We start off with a protein shake, about 300 calories, in the morning. That's followed 2-3 hours later by a 100 calorie protein bar. 2-3 hours later, I have a meal of 5-7 oz. of lean meat and a green veggie - usually a salad. 2-3 hours later, another protein bar, and 2-3 hours later, another meal like the first one. We have some little snacks we're allowed, like one string cheese (50 calories) or a small handful of almonds. I get two apples a day, and have my last protein bar at bedtime. The wife and I make big popsicles out of zero calorie drinks, like Crytstal Light. I've lost close to 70 lbs. so far, and still dropping.

My A1C has been 5.4 since a couple months after starting this diet. I still use insulin, but far less than half of what I was using, and I'm in sight of getting off the nasty crap altogether.

Oh, another recent discovery - Wal Mart brand insulin is $24 a bottle, retail. My insurance charges $30 copay for the same thing, so now I am buying it over the counter at Wal Mart. The retail on the one I get from my other pharmacy is well over $100 - and the two bottles are identical except for a very tiny logo that says it's Wal Mart brand.

WØTKX
11-19-2015, 03:33 PM
As a fan of British Comedy, Mr. Humphries is FREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jizCq3Su4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jizCq3Su4

W5BRM
11-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Kind of a ditto - I'm on a very low carb diet. We start off with a protein shake, about 300 calories, in the morning. That's followed 2-3 hours later by a 100 calorie protein bar. 2-3 hours later, I have a meal of 5-7 oz. of lean meat and a green veggie - usually a salad. 2-3 hours later, another protein bar, and 2-3 hours later, another meal like the first one. We have some little snacks we're allowed, like one string cheese (50 calories) or a small handful of almonds. I get two apples a day, and have my last protein bar at bedtime. The wife and I make big popsicles out of zero calorie drinks, like Crytstal Light. I've lost close to 70 lbs. so far, and still dropping.

My A1C has been 5.4 since a couple months after starting this diet. I still use insulin, but far less than half of what I was using, and I'm in sight of getting off the nasty crap altogether.

Oh, another recent discovery - Wal Mart brand insulin is $24 a bottle, retail. My insurance charges $30 copay for the same thing, so now I am buying it over the counter at Wal Mart. The retail on the one I get from my other pharmacy is well over $100 - and the two bottles are identical except for a very tiny logo that says it's Wal Mart brand.

Just curious... what are the carb counts on the protein bars and shakes? I stay away from those as even though they are touted as sugar free or pro diabetic, they are loaded with carbs. My carb intake per day is 30 or less. I dont count calories but i closely monitor my carbs, protein and fats.

5.4 A1C is a moderatly good number. That means a 3 month average of your daily glucose is about 115. Not bad. Mine is a bit higher at 5.9 or 133 daily avg over 3 months. I'm working on lowering it but its a bit tough driving. My goal is 5.2 to 5.4. Id prefer to be 4.9 or less but thats not going to happen.

I'm lucky to not be on insulin. I'd be out of a job if i had to use a needle. It would be cheaper if i were though. My adjusted prescription cost is about $275 for 90 days of the stuff i take. It would be $1k or more without insurance though

KG4NEL
11-20-2015, 12:25 PM
I chew through Quest bars, but they're 20g a pop. Less than 1g of sugar.

If I didn't, though, I'd die at 100 miles or more per month of running.

KC2UGV
11-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Glad to hear you're home. Take care of yourself, and listen to your docs! I had a friend who was in the same boat (Except, he had it amputated), didn't listen, took a nasty spill and landed on the stump. It went downhill from there, and he never came home from the hospital after that.

Diabetes really screws up immune response, big time.

WX7P
11-23-2015, 01:09 AM

NQ6U
11-23-2015, 12:19 PM
D'oh. Never mind. A day late and a dollar short, as usual.

K0RGR
11-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Just curious... what are the carb counts on the protein bars and shakes? I stay away from those as even though they are touted as sugar free or pro diabetic, they are loaded with carbs. My carb intake per day is 30 or less. I dont count calories but i closely monitor my carbs, protein and fats.

5.4 A1C is a moderatly good number. That means a 3 month average of your daily glucose is about 115. Not bad. Mine is a bit higher at 5.9 or 133 daily avg over 3 months. I'm working on lowering it but its a bit tough driving. My goal is 5.2 to 5.4. Id prefer to be 4.9 or less but thats not going to happen.

I'm lucky to not be on insulin. I'd be out of a job if i had to use a needle. It would be cheaper if i were though. My adjusted prescription cost is about $275 for 90 days of the stuff i take. It would be $1k or more without insurance though

Medifast Peanut Butter Crunch bar (typical)

110 calories
11 g of protein
13 g of carbs
3.5 g total fats

The sodium could be better, but my numbers are OK.

I find that a lot of the protein bars out there are fine if you cut them in half. Most of them are twice as big as the Medifast bars, anyway.
Eventually, we will be off this and on our own, and that's what I intend to do.