PDA

View Full Version : Matching Computer Memory Cards

HUGH
10-28-2015, 03:14 PM
A question that's probably been asked before, is it advisable to have an identical match between memory cards in any computer? I've maxed out the memory in the old Thinkpad I use in the shack (low QRM) and could swear it's slower to load. I may have to run some comparison performance tests,luckily the memory is easy to change, but it was doing a lot of disk swapping beforehand.

PA5COR
10-29-2015, 05:06 AM
Just needs the same speed or the chipset will opt for the lower speed setting to match the lowest speed memory.
I have 4 GBB in this lappy, and 2 GB SD card ( fast one) as ready boost cache.
Since this lappy is end of life ( replaced n a few months) since it's 8 years old I don't invest more into the dual core Pentium lappy, it served me well, but it is getting old and busting at the seams with small faults like hinges getting broke etc.

K4PIH
10-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Yep, like COR says. You can put memory in but it will auto default to the slowest speed. So you can have 8gB vs 4gB but the eight might actually be slowed to the lowest speed.

HUGH
10-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Good and thank you. I'll leave it all in, same cards just different makes and chips.