PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu FT-101 E, EE Great Old Radio GOT ONE? COME SAY HELLO !!

AF5ST
10-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Hello

I'm Matt ,, Love the FT-101's have about four of them. Two i use in my shack one i use as a test radio and the other is just a floater has not really got a place yet. It's not for sale it's just one i picked up at a hamfest earlier this year, still working on it so far found a few bad resistors in it.

Interested in chatting with folks that share the same passion about these old great radio's .

looking to broaden my knowledge on them, and any hints on troubleshooting known issues is always a good thing.

And if you have one of these old radios and need help , I would be glad to try and help you figure out your radios problem.

I do know the extender boards are almost a must if you're serious about working on these types of radios, I found that out the hard way, that's another story. lol

AF5ST

K4PIH
10-25-2015, 11:49 PM
I have one. I switch between it and my Swan Cygnet.

kc4umo
10-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Yep, I have 3 and a parts rig at the moment. I love these old rigs. Have a few Swans and Siltronics as well.
Lots of problems with them and can be easy to repair. I have a lot of notes written down over the years.

You can see mine here in a video tour of my shop/shack, just fast forward towards the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LPcLAkhdFE

N8YX
10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
FL-101/FR-101D. All band segment crystals populated including WARC and the SWBC segments. FM board and both VHF converters installed, as were all RX filters.

FT-201/FR-101D. Ditto the above.

The only things in the 101 line I didn't own were the FL-2100B and an FT-101/FV-101/FTV combo. My main gripe with the twins was the hokey way Yaesu chose to implement transceiving. They allowed each radio's HFO to run independently when in transceive mode, rather than using the TX or RX HFO to control both pieces (Drake did this with the 7 line and Kenwood's 599/820 series utilized the same scheme.) If the HFO crystals varied significantly in frequency between the transmitter and receiver it was very hard to net them - and on some bands it was simply impossible. You had to run the setup in "independent" mode.

No notch filter was another biggie. I can live without a PBT most of the time if the RX filter skirts are sufficiently steep but a notch is almost a must-have.

K4PIH
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Nice little tour of your shack. Thanks for posting that. I need to do something similar althought I don;t have the gear you have.

kc4umo
10-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Nice little tour of your shack. Thanks for posting that. I need to do something similar althought I don;t have the gear you have.

Thanks,
Years of collecting. Most of my equipment is old and was someomes problems. I get, repair, and add to my collection.
I am not one for parting something out.

K4PIH
10-26-2015, 12:58 PM
I have some stuff I need to part out or get rid of. It's just too big and old for me to keep.

Apache and Mohawk

kc4umo
10-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I would love to have those. I have two Apache's but both are basket cases.
One day I hope. I love big and old hehe.

n0km
10-26-2015, 01:34 PM
Hello Matt, welcome to the Island!

NQ6U
10-26-2015, 02:36 PM
After helping a friend move a Apache/Mohawk combo I became convinced that they must have been what inspired the term "boat anchor." You could use a pair to moor a cruise ship.

WØTKX
10-26-2015, 03:17 PM
I'd enjoy them, but I don't have the space. And, I'd prefer E.F. Johnson rigs from that era, due to silly emotional reasons. ;)

The olde phartes like me remember Waseca MN as the center of the universe.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/534/845/2e1.jpeg

koØm
10-28-2015, 07:58 PM
FL-101/FR-101D. All band segment crystals populated including WARC and the SWBC segments. FM board and both VHF converters installed, as were all RX filters.

FT-201/FR-101D. Ditto the above.

The only things in the 101 line I didn't own were the FL-2100B and an FT-101/FV-101/FTV combo. My main gripe with the twins was the hokey way Yaesu chose to implement transceiving. They allowed each radio's HFO to run independently when in transceive mode, rather than using the TX or RX HFO to control both pieces (Drake did this with the 7 line and Kenwood's 599/820 series utilized the same scheme.) If the HFO crystals varied significantly in frequency between the transmitter and receiver it was very hard to net them - and on some bands it was simply impossible. You had to run the setup in "independent" mode.

No notch filter was another biggie. I can live without a PBT most of the time if the RX filter skirts are sufficiently steep but a notch is almost a must-have.

Fred, do you have extension cards?

N8YX
10-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Fred, do you have extension cards?

Yes, I do.

koØm
10-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Hello

I'm Matt ,, Love the FT-101's have about four of them. Two i use in my shack one i use as a test radio and the other is just a floater has not really got a place yet. It's not for sale it's just one i picked up at a hamfest earlier this year, still working on it so far found a few bad resistors in it.

Interested in chatting with folks that share the same passion about these old great radio's .

looking to broaden my knowledge on them, and any hints on troubleshooting known issues is always a good thing.

And if you have one of these old radios and need help , I would be glad to try and help you figure out your radios problem.

I do know the extender boards are almost a must if you're serious about working on these types of radios, I found that out the hard way, that's another story. lol

AF5ST

Hello Matt,

Welcome to the Island!

I also have a Yaesu FT-101E

https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/21653-Shack-pix-thread?p=615115&viewfull=1#post615115

K4PIH
10-29-2015, 09:46 AM
After helping a friend move a Apache/Mohawk combo I became convinced that they must have been what inspired the term "boat anchor." You could use a pair to moor a cruise ship.

Especially the Apache! I used a hand truck to get it into the shack but then ahd to lift it up and on the bar. Bad mistake! Sent me to the ER with a ruptured groin muscle!

K4PIH
10-29-2015, 09:48 AM
I would love to have those. I have two Apache's but both are basket cases.
One day I hope. I love big and old hehe.\

Well if you are ever in the DC area and feel like King Kong I'll make you a deal you can't refuse if I still have them!

KF4ZGZ
11-03-2015, 06:58 AM
My first hf rig was a EE. I (stupidly) sold it to fund a newer, lesser rig.
Funny thing is, about 9-12 months ago I traded that same newer rig for a 101ZD.
The 101 (IMHO) is still one the best radios ever built.

Matt

N8YX
11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
My first hf rig was a EE. I (stupidly) sold it to fund a newer, lesser rig.
Funny thing is, about 9-12 months ago I traded that same newer rig for a 101ZD.
The 101 (IMHO) is still one the best radios ever built.

Matt
'101/B/E/F and a '101ZD are entirely different animals. The 'ZD is very close to a 90x in terms of circuit design. 6146Bs in the PA, 8.9875MHz IF (vs 3.180), PBT and other QRM-fighting niceties added.

Yes, adding 11M to the later models was "challenging" as compared to simply plugging in a crystal and 'cutting the brown wire'. But their receivers are much improved, especially where the MkIII and '902 variants are concerned. Still, Yaesu sold an absolute metric ass-load of the B and E variants. One of my former coworkers - a ham - recounted a tale of an area truck stop wheeling dolly full after dolly full of those rigs to their showrooms in the mid 70s.

wa6mhz
11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
I Have a FT-101, FT-101B, FT-101E, FT-101FX and a now a FT-101F.
The F has a burnt power transformer so its a long ways til it works!

KG4CGC
11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I saw this.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/ele/5295361181.html

koØm
11-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I Have a FT-101, FT-101B, FT-101E, FT-101FX and a now a FT-101F.
The F has a burnt power transformer so its a long ways til it works!

That's what happens when you are running in the AM mode with the VOX turned on and you forget to turn the radio off before you turn the "Hi-Fi" or Television on. Screaming kids and loud XYLs don't help.

The failure rate on the ZD model was higher than on the E - EE versions. Back during that time period, if a ZD model came through the doors, the boss wouldn't touch them, always referred the owners back to factory service.

N8YX
11-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Nice rig, Charles.

Now it's Heartbreak Time.

Buddy of mine had an -EE, FV-101, SP-101PB, YO-101, FL-2100B and a YC-601 - with the infamous Brown Wire cut. He had the gear stored in his basement, on the floor. Memorial Day 1985 saw torrential rains in the form of training thunderstorm cells set up over the area. Some parts saw in excess of 4" overnight.

During all this his sump pump failed. He awoke to 2 feet of water in the basement. One can guess the fate of the gear - along with a lot of the family's possessions.

W3WN
11-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I have some stuff I need to part out or get rid of. It's just too big and old for me to keep.

Apache and Mohawk

14357I always liked those two old classics.

No room in the shack, though, so I can't help you out.

W3WN
11-05-2015, 02:02 PM
\

Well if you are ever in the DC area and feel like King Kong I'll make you a deal you can't refuse if I still have them!
Figures.

As of last spring, my semi regular appearances in NVA ceased.

My son left his job with the Nationals and took a new job for Penske trucking. So we've gone from a 5 hour trip to see him & the family to about 45 minutes!