PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

NQ6U
10-22-2015, 07:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dfGSTrt.jpg

The pipe nipple on the left is one I recently purchased at the Home Despot. The one on the right is one I already had on hand.

K7SGJ
10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
On one the threads go --->

On the other they go <---

NQ6U
10-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Correct. Have you ever heard of a pipe nipple with a left hand thread?

NA4BH
10-22-2015, 10:43 PM
I think Carl had one.

VE7DCW
10-23-2015, 01:38 AM

I have....... by code around here left hand thread denotes a pipe thread that is used exclusively for gas pipe fittings (natural gas,propane etc.) I'm not sure if the U.S. has a similar code.....hope that helps :yes:

KK4AMI
10-23-2015, 07:49 AM
The things I learn here. Gas pipes (black iron)have left hand threads on one side and right hand threads on the other side ? I did not know that being an all electric child. Unless you count my propane grill. 😊

NQ6U
10-23-2015, 08:38 AM
I have....... by code around here left hand thread denotes a pipe thread that is used exclusively for gas pipe fittings (natural gas,propane etc.) I'm not sure if the U.S. has a similar code.....hope that helps :yes:

So, like, it's a Canadian pipe, eh? Perhaps not, though—the other end has a normal right-hand thread. I think it likely that it was part of some oddball special-purpose coupling that was returned to the store and restocked in the wrong bin.

One thing I found interesting, though: if you were to ask me which way the threads are supposed tilt when looking at any normal screw thread, I really couldn't tell you. But, when I realized there was a problem with that nipple (the fitting wouldn't screw on), I looked at it more closely and immediately knew what was wrong. Years of using threaded fasteners has made a subconscious impression on me, I guess.

N8YX
10-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Yes, I have.

You thread it into a left-handed reducing elbow, then head over to the Window and Door section for some small pieces of brass screen. Cut to fit and insert in large side of elbow...

...and you're ready to enjoy your left-handed tobacco stash. :rofl:

K4PIH
10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
LOL! No actually I have and I used to make them at the local Hardware store where I worked. They are (or were years ago) made for gas pipes. When coupling two pieces of gas pipe together you cannot use the normal flange coupler as it may leak gas. With the odd threads, you can use a sleeve coupling with odd threads to join two pieces together and have little chance of a leak.

It's like a turnbuckle screw Where you turn it one way and both ends tighten or turn the other way and both ends loosen.

Some how got put into the regular nipple bin and you didn't notice it when you picked it up. Not unheard of and I've done it myself.

NQ6U
10-23-2015, 10:10 AM
LOL! No actually I have and I used to make them at the local Hardware store where I worked. They are (or were years ago) made for gas pipes. When coupling two pieces of gas pipe together you cannot use the normal flange coupler as it may leak gas. With the odd threads, you can use a sleeve coupling with odd threads to join two pieces together and have little chance of a leak.

It's like a turnbuckle screw Where you turn it one way and both ends tighten or turn the other way and both ends loosen.

Some how got put into the regular nipple bin and you didn't notice it when you picked it up. Not unheard of and I've done it myself.

Yes, exactly what I suspected. Thanks for clarifying that.

K7SGJ
10-23-2015, 10:13 AM

I think Sister Mary Margaret has one of those.

K4PIH
10-23-2015, 01:49 PM
What about Sister Mary Elephant?

n2ize
10-23-2015, 03:22 PM
In the old days the incandescent light bulbs used by the NYC Subway system had left handed threads in order to discourage people from stealing them and using them at home. If you stole one and brought one home it wouldn't screw in to the standard socket. These days most of their lighting is either secure fluorescent fixtures, or LED's or High pressure sodium or metal halide all in fixtures that are hard to breach.

kb2crk
10-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Left handed gas fitting? Interesting, I always used unions to join gas lines together. That was a little over 20 years ago but being galvanized like it is it should not be gas line anyway.

ka8ncr
10-31-2015, 03:44 PM

Same here...that is a pipe threaded for gas use.