PDA

View Full Version : Signalink vs Rigblaster vs...?

N8YX
10-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Who's got some run-time on all of these interfaces and can give me the pros and cons of each? Additionally: Are any of you using a Rigblaster for rig control in addition to digi-modes operation - and if so, which programs are you using?

I currently have one Signalink USB in the shack. I'll need at least one more of the things for my two-position PSK/JT65/RTTY operating layout. All of the rigs in the lineup are Ten-Tec and all require a level converter to use their secondary serial interface - the main serial ports are tied up with connections for amplifier and automatic tuner control. I see the high-end Rigblaster incorporates a CI-V (Icom style) converter and one per controlled "spot" will make this project work just dandy. That is, if it plays nice with other gadgets...

WØTKX
10-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Basic diff is Rigblaster sets up separate USB control for functions, Signalink is one.

For me (I have two RigBlaster PnP units), external PTT for keying was the winner.

Better for CW, AND... Don't want VOX keying, I like my winders noises to stay off the air.

It's a little more nonsense to set up the RigBlasters, but I don't think that would bother you. ;)

NQ6U
10-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I have been using a SignaLink for PSK-31 and JT-65 for years with no issues, although I've heard it said that the VOX keying can be problematic in a few of the more esoteric digital modes. If Dave is having troubles with his Winders sounds keying his rig, it's because he hasn't set up his software correctly.

WØTKX
10-20-2015, 09:21 AM
No, it's setup just fine, and I avoid it easily.

I was being snarky. Le Sigh.

Peace, out.

KJ3N
10-20-2015, 09:35 AM
I bought the Cadillac of USB interfaces 7 years ago: http://www.navigator-interface.com/naviusa_004.htm

Now sold by TimeWave: http://timewave.com/support/Navigator/

:neener:

N8YX
10-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Which rig control programs are you using with the Navigator, Jim?

KJ3N
10-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Which rig control programs are you using with the Navigator, Jim?

Primarily WSJT-X 1.5 (JT65/JT9) and MixW 2.18 (PSK, RTTY, and CW). Logger32, HRD, and fldigi have also worked in the past.

If there's something specific you use, I can install it and test.

NQ6U
10-20-2015, 10:12 AM
I bought the Cadillac of USB interfaces 7 years ago [...] Now sold by TimeWave: http://timewave.com/support/Navigator/

:neener:

Man, that's gotta be the most effed-up code I've seen on a web page in some time.

KJ3N
10-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Man, that's gotta be the most effed-up code I've seen on a web page in sometime.

Yeah, it's like 1998 all over again.

N8YX
10-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Primarily WSJT-X 1.5 (JT65/JT9) and MixW 2.18 (PSK, RTTY, and CW). Logger32, HRD, and fldigi have also worked in the past.

If there's something specific you use, I can install it and test.

I'm thinking about N4PY's TenTec control suite - Icom emulation mode. Once I get the autotuner settings configured for each band I will only need to step between the various watering holes, as the power level will remain constant.

Regardless, I'll need two interfaces - one for the Omni VI and another for one of the Paragon IIs. Then it's point-and-click operation from my home office desk.

wa6mhz
10-21-2015, 06:31 PM
I use a signalink, works great. But the RIGBLASTER Advantage looks interesting, as it has Rig control and FSK. The Navigator adds a WINKEYER. I never could get my Navigator to work. $375 down a rathole. So I went back the tried and true Signalink and built my own adapters for RIG CONTROL and FSK. They work great, but I had to get a 4 port Serial (3 used) adapter. FTDI is the way to go. Win 8 likes the FTDI alot, hates the Prolifics!
I use a Signalink in my home station, and another in my portable go kit and a 3rd a the Crest EOC station. So I heartily endorse the SIGNALINK!

WØTKX
10-21-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm an N4PY fan, tho I have not updated/upgraded in a while, since I usually run the Flex 3000.

However, I think it might be a good idea again. :)

http://www.n4py.com/

New pricing is now in effect.

A single purchase of any N4PY control program will get a full license for all three N4PY control programs. Also a $30 renewal of any N4PY Control program will get you a renewal subscription for all three control programs. And a current active subscription for any N4PY control program allows you to get the latest version of all N4PY control programs.

NQ6U
10-21-2015, 06:59 PM
N4PY's software is excellent, i only wish it would run on some platform other than windows. I'm trying to find a replacement for HRD so I can switch my shack completely over to Linux.

KG4CGC
10-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Man, that's gotta be the most effed-up code I've seen on a web page in some time.

Oh FFS! YES!