PDA

View Full Version : Small Engine Carb Adjust

n2ize
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I have this Ryobi gas leaf blower that's been running lousy lately. First problem I found was a damaged fuel pickup line in the tank. The dang ethanol in gasoline these days really does a number on fuel lines and gaskets. So I pulled a new fuel line through and hooked it up to the carb , gased it up and it started but still ran like crap. It would idle okay (albeit a little slow) but the second I hit the throttle then engine just bogs down and conks out. So I do a bit of research and find that once these cheapo Ryobi's get a few years old the low and high speed mixtures need to be reset in order to get them to run right. So I locate the mixture setting screws, grab my screwdriver and find out that they don't use an ordinary screw head. They use what some call a "pacman" screw head which is basically a flat round screw head with a small triangular notch cut in along the edge. It basically looks like a pacman figure or a pie with a slice cut out of it. Turns out there is a special screwdriver for these "pacman" style screws but Ryobi won't sell it, they want you to take it to an authorized repair dealer to have it adjusted in which case it would make more sennse to throw away the blower and get a new one.

Fortunately there is an aftermarket "pacman" screw driver available. I ordered one from Amazon.com. It set me back only $10.00 with free shipping. So once I get the driver I should be able to adjust the mixture settings.

Then I just learned of another trick some people use. They simply use a Dremel tool to cut a straight notch into the screw head and then just use a regular screwdriver to adjust the mixture. But since I already spent the $10.00 for the driver I won;t bother with the dremel mod.

The thing that really gets me is the lengths that some of these companies will go through to make it as difficult and inconvenient for the product owner to make his/her own repairs and adjustments. I mean a stinking carbeurator mixture adjustment should use a standard screw. The greed factor is incredible as they try and push you towards paying a dealer to make a simple adjustment or buying a whole new unit instead of fixing the product you already bought and own.

KG4CGC
09-25-2015, 04:36 PM
All you had to do was cut a notch out so a regular flat head would fit. The carb adjust on the Ruckus wants a special D shaped head. Not anymore.
The other idea is to shape the end of a telescoping antenna end of the correct diameter to fit the job.

n2ize
09-25-2015, 07:37 PM
All you had to do was cut a notch out so a regular flat head would fit.

Yeah, I saw that mod on YouTube. Apparently a lot of people take a Dremel tool with a narrow cutoff wheel attached and cut a straight groove into the screw so that a regular flat head screwdriver will turn the screw. That is probably what I should have done. But since I already ordered the "pacman" driver I might as well just use that. It should be here in a few days.

The carb adjust on the Ruckus wants a special D shaped head. Not anymore.
The other idea is to shape the end of a telescoping antenna end of the correct diameter to fit the job.

Yeah, I should have gone with a DIY fix. But since the driver is coming I'll just use that. I hope adjusting the mixture gets it to running. If not then the carb has to come out for cleaning. I don't like the way these Ryobi's are made. First they don't include any filter in the gas line. If I get it running I'll add in my own filter. Second the air intake only has a screen in the breather. Too easy for dust and particles to get drawn into the motor. They should have included an air filter. Then again, it's all about planned obsolescence and maintaining a low mean time to failure.

WØTKX
09-25-2015, 07:49 PM
DIY/Maker methods rule. Manufacturers of proprietary crap drool.

n2ize
09-25-2015, 09:25 PM
DIY/Maker methods rule. Manufacturers of proprietary crap drool.

That's right !!

kb2vxa
09-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Almost right; brooms rule, blower manufacturers cry.