PDA

View Full Version : Colloquialism

NA4BH
09-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Different regions have different sayings for the same thing, such as:

He jooged a stob through his foot while he was hunting last night. Translates into : "He stepped on a sharp/broken piece of a bush and it went through his foot" when he was walking through the woods.

There are a lot more out there, region by region......... What are they?

Much like "She could back a buzzard off a shit wagon". I personally have never seen a shit wagon, but I've seen the girl that they talk about and have hit a buzzard with my vehicle. They (buzzards) make a big noise and tear the crap out of your front end. BOOM

WØTKX
09-18-2015, 11:59 PM
You've got a smile on your face like a skunk eating bumblebees.

Don't get anything on you, unless of course you meant to.

WTF is your system?

KG4CGC
09-19-2015, 12:53 AM
Bob got the word Colloquialism from me. You're welcome, Bob.
Don't know you from Adam's house cat.
Hen House. The room of the house the women congregate in when at a party. Also known as the Chicken Coop. Hen Party: A women only get together.

n0iu
09-19-2015, 07:03 AM
He'll be all over that like:
a) white on rice.
2) stink on shit.

Or these from the late George Carlin's seven words you can't say on TV:
He had a shit eating grin. You really have to wonder where that one came from!
Or when someone gets really drunk they are said to be shit-faced. Where did that one come from???

I know I will think of more...

W3WN
09-19-2015, 09:24 AM
< snip >
I personally have never seen a shit wagon,
< snip >Oh? Haven't you ever seen Back to the Future?

suddenseer
09-19-2015, 11:17 AM
"That would gag a maggot off a gut wagon"= "That smells awful!"
"He's got the sugar!"= "He suffers with the chronic disease commonly referred to as, diabetes."
A soda, is a 'pop'. A 'sack' is not a defensive play against a quarterback, but a paper bag. Southern Ohiyan's call it a, 'tote'.
Fish, is pronounced, 'feesh'.

KG4CGC
09-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Many words here also have extra added syllables. You know, because it's classy.

Dam or damn: Da-yum.
Shit: Shee-yut.
Door: Doh-wur.

Other words may simply be pronounced a little different.

Tar: One of those 4 round rubber round things that goes on the ree-yums of you-wur car.
Merr: A highly reflective glass surface that you u-wus to look at yourself in.
Faar: A flame or a group of flames as in a camp or bonfaar.

Some are single words that are a combination of 2 or more words.

Yoogotcha: Do you have a **** or also covers, do you have your ****.
Nodameen: Do you know what I mean?
Smatterchew: What is the matter with you, ie: Smatterchew bo-wah?
Bo-wah: Any male up to your own age as long as they are in your same neighborhood or peer group. Most often used father to son.
Mommanemms. Your mother and her hen friends. Git to the bus station and pick up yer mommanemms.

WØTKX
09-19-2015, 02:20 PM
PSHAW!

VE7DCW
09-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Many words here also have extra added syllables. You know, because it's classy.

Dam or damn: Da-yum.
Shit: Shee-yut.
Door: Doh-wur.

Other words may simply be pronounced a little different.

Tar: One of those 4 round rubber round things that goes on the ree-yums of you-wur car.
Merr: A highly reflective glass surface that you u-wus to look at yourself in.
Faar: A flame or a group of flames as in a camp or bonfaar.

Some are single words that are a combination of 2 or more words.

Yoogotcha: Do you have a **** or also covers, do you have your ****.
Nodameen: Do you know what I mean?
Smatterchew: What is the matter with you, ie: Smatterchew bo-wah?
Bo-wah: Any male up to your own age as long as they are in your same neighborhood or peer group. Most often used father to son.
Mommanemms. Your mother and her hen friends. Git to the bus station and pick up yer mommanemms.

Yup ........southern 'Merican speak.........even got tired trying to read it.They do talk funny down there.......:mrgreen:

W3WN
09-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Ever redd up a room? (No, that's not a typo)
Ever buy chipped ham, or for that matter, chipped any other lunch meat?
Ever use a gum band?
Ever order a soft drink by asking for a soda, and being asked "chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry" because soft drinks are called pop not soda?

If the answer to any of these are "yes" then you have been to Pittsburgh.

NQ6U
09-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Dude: originally, a younger man, now frequently used to address someone of either gender "Like, dude, that's my car you're leaning on."

Gnarly: rough; difficult. "It wasn't so bad until those bikers showed up. After that, things got really gnarly."

Bitchin': very nice, cool, high-quality. "Dude, that's bitchin' long board!"

K4PIH
09-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Worthless as tits on a boar hog
Confused as a bull in a barn full of hefers

kb2vxa
09-19-2015, 11:55 PM
Oh good grief, there must be a hundred colloquialisms for this critter, sea robin, sallygrowler (at the Jersey Shore we pronounce it sowlygrowler), oyster cracker like those things you put in chowder, toadfish, snotball, snotball with teeth, mother in law, hacklehead and more. They're nasty too, if it bites your finger it won't give it back and they always swallow your rig so you have a choice, cut it out or cut the line and tie on a new one. Either way cut it up for crab bait, it's no good for anything else.

K0RGR
09-20-2015, 03:57 PM
There's a book and a long running play up here titled "How to Talk Minnesotan". It explains it all.

People here don't understand the word 'casserole'. It's a 'hot dish' here. Sodas are what some people call pop, and those of us from the west call a Coke.

My father grew up near some mines in Colorado, now part of Boulder, and he had a lot of more pungent and colorful sayings. One of my favorite was how
he would react if something didn't make sense: " It don't figger fer sour owl shit". I think that describes politics today, perfectly.

KG4NEL
09-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Dude: originally, a younger man, now frequently used to address someone of either gender "Like, dude, that's my car you're leaning on."

Gnarly: rough; difficult. "It wasn't so bad until those bikers showed up. After that, things got really gnarly."

Bitchin': very nice, cool, high-quality. "Dude, that's bitchin' long board!"

The masculine form of dude is now bro. Unless you lift together (probably not, because he skips leg day: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skipping-leg-day), in that case, he's your brah.

KG4NEL
09-20-2015, 11:18 PM
I find that those not from the Northeast are unaware of the correct use of the word pissah. Like the Roman god Janus, with two faces facing backwards and forwards, "That fuckin' lobstah roll was wicked fuckin' pissah" could either mean it tasted like a toasted buttery orgasm or was fished out of the mud of the Charles River, depending on the context.

WØTKX
09-21-2015, 12:07 PM
He's so rich, he buys another boat when the old one gets too wet.