PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Upgrade Headaches

n2ize
09-11-2015, 01:53 PM
About a week ago I upgraded my fedora 221 "test system" from Fedora 21 to 22 via fedup network upgrade without any hitches or problems. Everything worked right from start to finish, no problems and no breakage of my favorite software.

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my "main system" from F21 to F22 via fedup network upgrade and so far I am still trying. My first problem is that fedup downloads all the new packages it needs and vaches them under /var/cache/system-upgrade and /var/lib/system upgrade, both of which reside on the root partition which is too small to contain all the new packages. So, I did what I always do and I made symbolic links to cache directories on a large partition. This initiall failed but only because I screwed up the symlinks. So, I made new symlings and tried it again this morning and viola', it worked. Next thing I do is reboot into GRUB and select the "upgrade" option. It starts running fine then it hangs. All I had was a flashing Fedora logo and a progress bar that wasn't moving anywhere. So after a couple hours I canceled the upgrade and rebooted into GRUB. The "upgrade" option was gone from the menu but fortunately my old fedoira 21 options were still available and I was at least able to boot into my working F21 system. So, there you have it, another epic failure and I am still in F21.

It looks as if I am going to have to redo the upgrade process all over again. In the meantime, is it possible for me to get actual output during the upgrade process instead of a dumb flashing logo that tells me nothing about what is going. In the old days a Fedora upgrade used to spit out info during every phase of the upgrade process. Seems like nowadays they are trying to adopt the Windows model of splash screens yet as little info as possible.

I'll probably re-attempt the upgrade later today or tomorrow. In the mean time any help is appreciated. At the very least can I get a screen full of messages during the upgrade rather than a flashing logo. Being able to see what the system is attempting to do as it runs through the process would be much more helpful.

NM5TF
09-13-2015, 08:14 AM
good idea to redo the upgrade...

assume you will be using
sudo fedup --network 22

from the Fedora Forums....you might do something like this....
"

I did a " yum update" to ensure all packages were current
rebooted
fedup-cli --network 22 --debuglog /root/fedup-21to22.debug.log
checked /root/fedup-21to22.debug.log for errors
rebooted "

n2ize
09-14-2015, 09:20 AM
good idea to redo the upgrade...

assume you will be using
sudo fedup --network 22

from the Fedora Forums....you might do something like this....
"

I did a " yum update" to ensure all packages were current
rebooted
fedup-cli --network 22 --debuglog /root/fedup-21to22.debug.log
checked /root/fedup-21to22.debug.log for errors
rebooted "

Thanks. I am going to try and redo the upgrade later today or tomorrow. I'll keep the above steps in mind as I go about it. After the last attempt failed I was looking for the debug log but couldn't seem to find it. Perhaps something happened to it when I aborted the upgrade. The original problem could possibly have had something to do with my symlinks. Next time I partition a drive I am going to make sure I leave more space for the root partition. Since most of fedup's activity takes place under /var I might move /var to a larger partition.

n2ize
09-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Still no luck. Fedup seems to be doing it's job okay. However, when I reboot into upgrade I get the error "cannot umount /usr device is busy" There seem to be some bug reports about this but I can't seem to find any solution to the problem. I might just have to forget the upgrade and just do an install. Some one screwed the pooch and I'm not sure what to do. All went well on my other system.