PDA

View Full Version : About The Reds...

W3WN
08-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Moving this reply from Philosophy (where it was part of a Political rant anyway) to where the proper discussion belongs...

40 years ago, when I started my career in Field Service, my Supervisor told me that sometimes, there are times that conversation with customers will be difficult. He said, "If you run out of things to say as they stand around waiting on their Xerox machine, say, 'How's about them Reds'?" and, either positive or negative, go with the flow of the conversation.

The Cincinnati Reds are one step above Triple-A ball and, are nothing more than a "Farm Club" for the better teams; we have good scouts and a farm club system who develop pitchers like "The Cuban Missile"- Aroldis Chapman or Johnnie Cueto then, they sell them off for young prospects.

They changed Managers this year from Dusty Baker (former Cubs Manager) to Brian Price who was formerly the Pitching coach for the Reds. The Reds stink.

But, this IS the "Philosophy" board and not the sports board.Do you really think you're going to get a lot of sympathy from me?

I had to endure 20 years, yes, 20 years of losing baseball in another small market. Coupled that to be married to a rabid Pirates fanatic, who raised our daughter to be one as well.

So the Reds are having a lousy year. And they're likely to have another one next year. Big deal. It happens to everyone, and especially to small-market teams. This is a side effect of the ownership "going for broke" and over-extending themselves for the playoff runs a few years back; as a result, they can no longer afford the high profile players that they signed to large contracts to keep (some of whom aren't that good any more, as happens to almost everyone sooner or later). They can't afford to bring in first-tier free agents to bolster the team, at best they're bringing in second- and third-tier players and hoping to get lucky. And they traded away too many top prospects a few years back for short term (ie "rental") players to bolster their playoff run, now that they need those guys, they're in other organizations.

I've seen it first hand.

Unless MLB adopts some form of major revenue sharing, akin to the NFL model, that guarantees each team a minimum and maximum payroll... which in turn allows the players to move around, since contracts are only guaranteed for a year under most circumstances... you're going to continue to see disparities between the small, medium, and large market teams.

The Yankees, Mets, Red Sux, Dodgers, Giants... they bring in enough revenue that they can absorb payroll from poor choices, and still afford to field a quality team. The Reds, Brewers, Mariners, Pirates, and other small market teams do not have that luxury.

So either your team cycles between good teams for a few years, and poor teams for a few years... which the Reds & Brewers are going through right now... or you continuously field a mediocre team and hope to strike it lucky once in a while... or you plan very carefully, and stick to the plan.

I have had my complaints about the current Pirates ownership (Nutting family) over the last few years, especially since they started as part of the previous ownership group (McClatchy). The previous ownership group exhibited gross mismanagement, and in fairness, was doomed from the start because of what they inherited. That said, the Nuttings tightened the screws, financially, and rode out a few more bad years to straighten the finances out. Now they're reaping the rewards... but even so, are being very careful on who the sign and for how much.

For example, consider former Pirates starting catcher Russell Martin. He was a free agent after last season. The Nuttings made him what they considered a fair offer, both in terms of annual salary and years under contract. Other teams topped that offer and then some; the Nuttings didn't counter offer, they walked away. Which is why Martin is now on the Blue Jays... and in about 2 years, the Blue Jays may be regretting the contract that they are stuck with, as Martin will by then be near or at the end of his career.

I could go on ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Suffice to say... either the Reds ownership & front office plan and scout very carefully, or they will continue to cycle through a few good years, a few bad years.

WØTKX
08-31-2015, 01:25 PM
Colorado Rockies. Same shit, different team.

That is all. :lol:

NQ6U
08-31-2015, 02:12 PM
San Diego Padres. 'Nuf said, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that no major league team from San Diego has won a championship in any sport.

W3WN
08-31-2015, 02:32 PM
It could be worse.

Look at the Florida/Miami Marlins.

Yes, they won two World Series. Each time, the ownership "went for broke" and spent lots and lots of money on quality players. And bought a championship. Then the next year, the bills came due, so to speak... so the best players got traded to other teams in return for benchwarmers or worse. The fan base had bought tickets based on the previous year's team, and got to watch mediocrity. So yes, the bills were paid... but (especially after the second time) the fan base felt ripped off. Now, the team has major trouble selling tickets.

When the Pirates played the Marlins in Miami last week... I'd say that at least half, if not more, of the paying customers were wearing black & gold, not teal (or whatever that color is). The Pirates must have thought it was a home game. Sad to see, actually.

The Marlins may eventually be relocated. Not because they don't have the population to support a team... because the ownership of the team burned the fans one time too many.

K7SGJ
08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
San Diego Padres. 'Nuf said, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that no major league team from San Diego has won a championship in any sport.

Well, there was the '69 World Naked Girls Beach Badminton Championships. Just sayin......................

WØTKX
08-31-2015, 04:28 PM
The Invisible Hand of the Free Market. ;)

KK4AMI
09-03-2015, 06:54 PM
You might as well put this thread back in the political section, because I'm bitchin' about that damn New York judge that cut Tom Brady loose to play their first game against the Steelers! Darn it, ya couldn't have waited until after that game? The Steelers are near dead this year and we could use all the luck and help we can get. 😢

W3WN
09-03-2015, 08:11 PM
You might as well put this thread back in the political section, because I'm bitchin' about that damn New York judge that cut Tom Brady loose to play their first game against the Steelers! Darn it, ya couldn't have waited until after that game? The Steelers are near dead this year and we could use all the luck and help we can get. YOU'RE complaining?

I live here... you really do NOT want to know what people around here are saying.

W3WN
09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Tell you what... let's move this discussion of the New England Cheats to another thread.

https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/29344-Judge-Spanks-NFL-Commish

koØm
09-07-2015, 10:32 PM
YOU'RE complaining?

I live here... you really do NOT want to know what people around here are saying.

"How 'Bout them Reds?"

KØWVM
09-08-2015, 08:28 AM
"How 'Bout them Reds?"

Another late season slump as expected... Start out hot and then fizzle out, which leaves me a tad irritated. :roll:

suddenseer
09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Sometimes I think us zinnzinnatii fans are spoiled. I have seen the Red's win it all 3 times in my life. The 1990 team that went wire to wire in first place, and swept the A's in the world series was a classic example of players, coaching, and management having mutual respect and a
shared vision. The Red's have made post season numerous times. The Bengals have been to the super bowl twice, and have made post season numerous times. The Red's really do suck this year.