PDA

View Full Version : 40 Meter CW for $10.00 ??

n2ize
08-08-2015, 07:39 PM
I came across this today. It's cute. Little CW transceiver with appx 1-2 watts out. I don;t know how good this particular one is but, I remember building a similar QRP CW kit in the early 1990's and actually making a few contacts with it. Of course a good antenna is a major plus.

http://www.banggood.com/Frog-Sounds-HAM-Radio-QRP-Kit-Telegraph-CW-Transceiver-Receiver-Radio-Station-p-980512.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_campaign=ar-frog-us-in-r-all&utm_content=tracy

W3WN
08-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Oh, there's a bunch of these 40 meter QRP kits for sale on eBay.

Most are based on the PIXIE design.

Some are $5 or less.

The catch? No schematic, no instructions. I picked on up beginning of the year, and when I asked about it, I was directed to a web site that had instructions... in Chinese... for a different kit.

Have to do something with that, one of these days.

w2amr
08-09-2015, 04:12 AM
I came across this today. It's cute. Little CW transceiver with appx 1-2 watts out. I don;t know how good this particular one is but, I remember building a similar QRP CW kit in the early 1990's and actually making a few contacts with it. Of course a good antenna is a major plus.

http://www.banggood.com/Frog-Sounds-HAM-Radio-QRP-Kit-Telegraph-CW-Transceiver-Receiver-Radio-Station-p-980512.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_campaign=ar-frog-us-in-r-all&utm_content=tracy Looks like fun

n2ize
08-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I might try one George. Although I will heed to Ron's warnings as to lack of schematic, lack of instructions. Who knows, maybe we can make another QRP contact as we did decades ago.

W3WN
08-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Well, I hope yours arrives with instructions and/or a schematic.

N8XE
08-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I need to get my shack put back together soon! I am going through solder withdrawal.

Jason N8XE

kb2vxa
08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Frog Sounds? Radio go bork bi bork bi, bork bork bi bork? Like early import radio manuals, poorly translated Chinese web page make you scratch head. There's something to be said about Chinese, my Taiwanese girlfriend bang good. Chinese frog eat your money, get it back when you eat Chinese frog!

ka8ncr
08-12-2015, 08:58 PM
There sure are a lot of them on Ebay, seems the kit is on 7.023?

After perusing Ebay though, I noticed someone having a TS-530 up for sale and I dug mine out of the closet. I took delivery of it in the summer of 1983 and it represents a lot of lawn cutting.

The thing powers up, receives just fine despite the pots being dirty as hell. But transmit is a different story, looks like sitting idle hasn't been kind to the old beast.

I get meter deflection when starting the initial tune, but it seems to slowly go down to zero so I can't set the preselector. My guess is the 12BY7A driver tube is bad, or something before that.

So, when all the other things that need to be done get done, I'll put it on the bench and figure it out. I have all the manuals and prints, so I should be able to figure it out. Just sad though, I thought I might make a contact with it. Nevertheless, I did listen to a few and man are those optional filters still sweet!

WØTKX
08-12-2015, 09:28 PM
I fired up my Ten Tec Pegasus for the first time in over two years.

Prefer my Flex, but the Peg still makes me smile. Great RX!

W3WN
08-13-2015, 09:40 PM
There sure are a lot of them on Ebay, seems the kit is on 7.023?

After perusing Ebay though, I noticed someone having a TS-530 up for sale and I dug mine out of the closet. I took delivery of it in the summer of 1983 and it represents a lot of lawn cutting.

The thing powers up, receives just fine despite the pots being dirty as hell. But transmit is a different story, looks like sitting idle hasn't been kind to the old beast.

I get meter deflection when starting the initial tune, but it seems to slowly go down to zero so I can't set the preselector. My guess is the 12BY7A driver tube is bad, or something before that.

So, when all the other things that need to be done get done, I'll put it on the bench and figure it out. I have all the manuals and prints, so I should be able to figure it out. Just sad though, I thought I might make a contact with it. Nevertheless, I did listen to a few and man are those optional filters still sweet!There's an issue with the bleeder resistors in the final needing replaced on the TS-520. I have the parts, I just have to get 'er done.

n2ize
08-14-2015, 05:05 AM
Might also be an idea to recap it (i.e. replace the condensers)... They have a tendency to go bad, especially after long term storage.

K0RGR
08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
I did finally resurrect my Ten Tec Omni VI. I'm thinking now it's fixed to sell it and apply the funds to something else. There are several rigs on teh wish list, but will probably end up replacing this old used one with another used one, but maybe slightly newer.

W3WN
08-18-2015, 08:19 PM
I did finally resurrect my Ten Tec Omni VI. I'm thinking now it's fixed to sell it and apply the funds to something else. There are several rigs on teh wish list, but will probably end up replacing this old used one with another used one, but maybe slightly newer.
Omni V, Omni VI and Omni VI+ rigs have pretty much held their value the last few years. But it you're going to sell it, I'd think now is the time, since the rigs are in the neighborhood of 20 years old.

Much as I like the Omni VII, I will be sad the day that the Omni VI+ ceases to be a working rig and becomes a museum piece due to component failure.

ka4dpo
08-19-2015, 11:34 AM
They seem to know a lot about propagation and operating modes that you never see in the handbooks.

Factors affecting communication distance are: antenna and erect, spread bad weather, the surrounding environment is electromagnetic interference, individual operational level.
The kit is CW manner (similar to the previous telegram), not speaking

Still wondering what they mean by individual operational level though.

K0RGR
08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Omni V, Omni VI and Omni VI+ rigs have pretty much held their value the last few years. But it you're going to sell it, I'd think now is the time, since the rigs are in the neighborhood of 20 years old.

Much as I like the Omni VII, I will be sad the day that the Omni VI+ ceases to be a working rig and becomes a museum piece due to component failure.

I'm going to hate to part with the VI+, but the original plan was to use it as a stepping stone to better rigs. The days when I could buy a top of the line rig off the shelf are gone. Now I have to wait until they are a bit older. I'll probably aim for something built in this century this time. I already have my heirloom IC746 that I don't want to part with. And the Drake twins are waiting to be worked on.

n2ize
08-25-2015, 01:36 AM
They seem to know a lot about propagation and operating modes that you never see in the handbooks.

Still wondering what they mean by individual operational level though.[/LEFT]

And what about the other factors. You must have erection spread over bad weather

ka8ncr
08-27-2015, 07:54 PM
The driver tube was soft, but the issue seems to be an intermittent connection somewhere ahead of the driver tube. When it works, it works fine and makes good power. But when it doesn't, the output power ramps up slowly. I *think* the issue is in the mode switch and the schematic seems to confirm that, but it being nearly completely sealed, not sure what I should spray in there.

It will be an interesting winter project.

w2amr
08-30-2015, 02:36 PM
The driver tube was soft, but the issue seems to be an intermittent connection somewhere ahead of the driver tube. When it works, it works fine and makes good power. But when it doesn't, the output power ramps up slowly. I *think* the issue is in the mode switch and the schematic seems to confirm that, but it being nearly completely sealed, not sure what I should spray in there.I always use this stuff, It seems to do a good job. 14250