PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

N8GAV
07-30-2015, 06:52 PM
I upgraded 1 of my computers to Windows 10. Been playing around with it and it's a little different as far as the new Edge web browser goes. I kind of like it, but use Foxfire anyway. I'll play around with it some more and if after 30 days I don't care for it then I'll go back to 7.

WØTKX
07-30-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm gonna do it, but I'll let the user community react to it for a bit. Expecting minor bugs.

But, I'm looking forward to it. Even pricing a touch screen monitor or two.

My wife's 8.1 touchscreen laptop will prolly get upgraded first.

VE7DCW
07-31-2015, 12:57 AM
I too have that Windows 10 upgrade icon sitting in my task bar wanting me to bring in that OS here on to my Win 7 netbook..... I'm just waiting to see how other people are handling the new system and if they have regrets doing it.

And I'm wondering about what Hank mentioned,if you go Win 10 will it allow you to roll it back to your previous OS if you are not a satisfied customer? :dunno:

NQ6U
07-31-2015, 01:19 AM
And I'm wondering [...] if you go Win 10 will it allow you to roll it back to your previous OS if you are not a satisfied customer?

No, Microsoft has never offered that option. If you think you might want to roll back, clone your drive before installing W10 so you can restore your current system if need be.

N8XE
07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
I plan to upgrade as soon as my turn in line is here.

Jason N8XE

KG4CGC
07-31-2015, 08:41 AM
I plan to upgrade as soon as my turn in line is here.

Jason N8XE

I thought anyone could "upgrade" anytime they wanted to. There should be an icon in the bottom right of your screen. A skewed squared quadsected. All one needs to do is click on it. Did you click on it and did it tell you that you must wait in line? Hmmm. Microsoft is like a doorknob.

N8XE
07-31-2015, 08:45 AM
I thought anyone could "upgrade" anytime they wanted to. There should be an icon in the bottom right of your screen. A skewed squared quadsected. All one needs to do is click on it. Did you click on it and did it tell you that you must wait in line? Hmmm. Microsoft is like a doorknob.

Yes, I clicked on it a few months back and "reserved" my copy. I think it is in process of downloading the update. It seemed like not everyone could upgrade on the 29th which would make sense. I will try it tonight.

Jason N8XE

N8GAV
07-31-2015, 11:43 AM
I too have that Windows 10 upgrade icon sitting in my task bar wanting me to bring in that OS here on to my Win 7 netbook..... I'm just waiting to see how other people are handling the new system and if they have regrets doing it.

And I'm wondering about what Hank mentioned,if you go Win 10 will it allow you to roll it back to your previous OS if you are not a satisfied customer? :dunno:

No, Microsoft has never offered that option. If you think you might want to roll back, clone your drive before installing W10 so you can restore your current system if need be.

Everything I have read on Microsoft web site and C- Net, and Wired.com, they give you 30 days IF you don't like it then they will let you go back to your old OS. I don't know if they will do it on line or you need to back/clone your hard drive which is what I done Gerry

WØTKX
07-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Forcing the Windows 10 upgrade... (http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/)

Forcing from Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/30/windows-10-updating-reinstalling-and-activation-guide-essential-advice-to-avoid-problems/)

N8XE
07-31-2015, 02:56 PM
Forcing the Windows 10 upgrade... (http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/)

Forcing from Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/30/windows-10-updating-reinstalling-and-activation-guide-essential-advice-to-avoid-problems/)

Danke schön! I got an email today essentially saying "we didn't forget you"

Hell with that.. I am going to force it!!!

Jason N8XE

WØTKX
07-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Bitte schön.

XE1/N5AL
08-01-2015, 02:16 AM
I downloaded the ".iso" file for burning a DVD and installing Windows 10, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I don't do very much in Windows these days, but I still have a few gadgets that are only supported under Windows. My old Microchip ICD 2 programmer/debugger hardware only runs in the Windows XP Compatibility Mode, on my current Windows 7 machine. I have read that Windows 10 will also support XP era programs, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if that's true.

KG4CGC
08-01-2015, 07:18 AM
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

K7SGJ
08-04-2015, 11:26 AM
For those of you that have taken the plunge to Windows 10, what are you doing for a media player since MS media player isn't supported any more. I've been looking at VLC, but haven't decided what I need for all my audio, video, and streaming requirements. I would even break down and buy a commercial program if it was really a good one, and kept up with upgrading various AV formats and codecs as they evolve or new ones come out. Rumor has it that MS may have some kind of replacement in the offing, but I think I might want to go to something different.

I put 10 on a couple of my machines, and as I am learning more about how to get the things I like back and working, and getting rid, disabling, or turning off the things I don't like. I guess I'm getting more comfortable using it. A couple of my machines running Win 7 won't upgrade because the processor is so old it isn't supported, which is no big deal since I want to keep a machine or two running Win7 and/or Win 8 in the event I find an application that won't run in the Win 10 environment.

WØTKX
08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Most of my slower processor PC's are (already) running Linux.

NM5TF
08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
For those of you that have taken the plunge to Windows 10, what are you doing for a media player since MS media player isn't supported any more. I've been looking at VLC, but haven't decided what I need for all my audio, video, and streaming requirements. I would even break down and buy a commercial program if it was really a good one, and kept up with upgrading various AV formats and codecs as they evolve or new ones come out. Rumor has it that MS may have some kind of replacement in the offing, but I think I might want to go to something different.

I put 10 on a couple of my machines, and as I am learning more about how to get the things I like back and working, and getting rid, disabling, or turning off the things I don't like. I guess I'm getting more comfortable using it. A couple of my machines running Win 7 won't upgrade because the processor is so old it isn't supported, which is no big deal since I want to keep a machine or two running Win7 and/or Win 8 in the event I find an application that won't run in the Win 10 environment.

VLC is OK, but I prefer Audacious or Audacity....they both offer "limited Windoze support" tho....

here is a list of popular players...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_for_audio#Players

WØTKX
08-04-2015, 02:59 PM
I'd kinda switched to VLC a long time ago. I use Audacity for a lot of audio whatnots.

So far, I'm using the free Windows Movie Maker and GoPro apps for video editors.

And as a Windows Phone user, I got a Zune/Xbox subscription, which I enjoy.

K0RGR
08-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes, I'm also looking for a Media center replacement. I use Media Center as my TIVO/TV set, and I've played with one 'open source' replacement but it looks like I will have to edit a bunch of config files to make it work half as well as Media Center did. I have VLC, too.

I thought I was out of the woods after the upgrade. My digital stuff seemed to work OK, but this morning, I couldn't transmit. I had to change the configuration. For some reason, FLRIG can't see the radio. But, now it seems to be working fine again, maybe even better than it did before.

XE1/N5AL
08-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Windows 10 is definitely not ready for prime time. It's a neat new toy, but you wouldn't want to do any real work on it. My Windows 10 installation is still occasionally trying to apply newly downloaded updates to its programs on boot-ups and power-downs. It just doesn't give one that warm feeling that his system is creeping closer and closer to an ultimate point of stability.

Just a day of playing with it have uncovered several obvious bugs in the new Edge Browser. I remedied this by downloading Google Chrome. All appeared to be running well. But, after the latest automatic Windows 10 update event, Google Chrome no longer works. Several other applications, including some by Microsoft, appear to have been broken by the latest download, as well.

I understand that Microsoft might have a big Windows 10 update, on Monday ...looks like their programmers have been working overtime!

n0iu
08-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Just a day of playing with it have uncovered several obvious bugs in the new Edge Browser. I remedied this by downloading Google Chrome. All appeared to be running well. But, after the latest automatic Windows 10 update event, Google Chrome no longer works. Several other applications, including some by Microsoft, appear to have been broken by the latest download, as well.

Hmmm... I am using the 64 bit home edition and it is fully up to date. Everything is working okey dokey, including Chrome (Version 44.0.2403.130 m). If you really punish yourself, IE11 is still there but it is now hidden under Windows Accessories.

K7SGJ
08-09-2015, 12:53 PM
I have 10 up and running on around a half a dozen machines, and the only problem I have encountered is the Asus netbook keeps telling me the ACPI driver is missing. Sure enough, I don't see it in the device mangler. I tried to reload it, and it seemed to do it but still doesn't show up. I see a lot of other users are having the same issue without any definite resolution yet. I won't waste any more time on it now. I'll wait until Asus has a fix for it. All I use this machine for is service data when I'm working on one of the tractors or the forklift, or as my go to computer when I'm woodworking since the sawdust doesn't seem to bother it, and I don't want to FU one of the good LTs when I'm in a nasty environment. Since it does so well in shitty environments, I guess this is the one I will have to take with me to Lemon Grove.

NQ6U
08-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Since it does so well in shitty environments, I guess this is the one I will have to take with me to Lemon Grove.

Let me know when you're coming so I can be in Minnesota.

VE7DCW
08-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I have 10 up and running on around a half a dozen machines, and the only problem I have encountered is the Asus netbook keeps telling me the ACPI driver is missing. Sure enough, I don't see it in the device mangler. I tried to reload it, and it seemed to do it but still doesn't show up. I see a lot of other users are having the same issue without any definite resolution yet. I won't waste any more time on it now. I'll wait until Asus has a fix for it. All I use this machine for is service data when I'm working on one of the tractors or the forklift, or as my go to computer when I'm woodworking since the sawdust doesn't seem to bother it, and I don't want to FU one of the good LTs when I'm in a nasty environment. Since it does so well in shitty environments, I guess this is the one I will have to take with me to Lemon Grove.

You going to Lemon Grove Eddie? ..........try to catch the famous Lemon Grove mummies! ........not the only dead things to see there I'm sure,but just make like you are visiting a famous mummy or something from ancient Egypt in Cairo :mrgreen:

XE1/N5AL
08-09-2015, 05:51 PM
My install found all of the drivers except one for an Intel WiMAX chipset. I found it on Toshiba's website and Windows 10 was happy.

My problem seems to be with the latest cumulative Windows 10 update: KB308424. If I let it install, many applications will no longer launch. Then, if I roll back to a restore point before the update installation, all is well again.

I'll try to hold off this particular update from happening, until Microsoft has an update for the update!

K7SGJ
08-09-2015, 07:07 PM
I just heard MS said fuckit and they are re-releasing Vista.

NQ6U
08-09-2015, 07:23 PM
I just heard MS said fuckit and they are re-releasing Vista.

http://toastytech.com/guis/bobboot1.png

WØTKX
08-09-2015, 08:51 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8f/Windows_2.1.png

XE1/N5AL
08-09-2015, 08:57 PM
We should just all go back to keeping our logs on floppy disks that run on x86 MSDOS machines.

WØTKX
08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/8_bytes_vs._8Gbytes.jpg

K0RGR
08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I still have a copy of OS/2 Warp, somewhere. If I had a floppy drive, I could try to install it in a virtualbox.

I'm doing OK with Win 10. For some reason my FLRIG can't find Com Port 2, but FLDIGI and my other digital programs
are all OK so far.

WØTKX
08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
OS/2 had a LOT of cool stuff. I liked it. Definately made a splash in the workstation and server market for a while.

Win 10 upgrade has me worried about my massive "Virtual Audio Cable" setups and other weird streaming shit.

Almost setup to do a massive bootable system restore. I had to buy some more storage. ;)

n2ize
08-11-2015, 04:04 AM
No need to upgrade to Windows 10 here. I haven't used Windows in years.

WØTKX
08-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Two upgrades done. Ham shack PC works fine.

AMD Catalyst driver update is actually impressive.

Answered all the install questions to keep from sharing anything.

All my inside or "Intranet" shares, printers, and whatnot work fine.

As does the Flex. So far... this is pretty nice.

Gonna lift the hood and mess around soon.

Smooth upgrade. :agree:

koØm
08-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Windows 10 scandals keep coming: forced updates (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/) (causing crash loops (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/08/windows-10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/)), disabled user preferences (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/13/windows-10-forced-updates-silent-changes/),outlandish privacy invasions (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/2/), blowing through user data allowances (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/2/). Each is taking the shine off what is actually a very good core operating system, but I’m sorry to say they don’t stop there…

The eagle eyes over a tech blog Alphr (http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1001360/microsoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-and-illegal-hardware) have spotted a remarkable permission in the Windows 10’s services agreement: the operating system has the right to scan all software and hardware on your computer and disable anything it believes is illegal.

Section 7b reads: “We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the [Windows] Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

If you’re running Windows 10 and don’t like this, too late. Users have to agree to all terms in the Windows 10 services agreement before it will install.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/17/windows-10s-pirated-software-searches/

K0RGR
08-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to see some seams in Win 10. Crash loops related to updates seem to be highly real. I had that happen on both machines several times now. All of a sudden, I lose the task bar at the bottom of the screen and can't get it back. This morning, after a while, the whole system froze, so I called up Task Manger and rebooted. Later, the task bar disappeared again for a long while, and eventually came back.

It keeps rearranging the icons on my main screen, too.

WØTKX
08-19-2015, 06:43 PM
I have latency issues that have cropped up. Figured one out.

MS Updates (now) are peer to peer networks by default. :wtf:

Updates on your machine is used to seed other PC's.

Yea, I turned that shit off. Saw traffic when I wasn't doing anything.

koØm
08-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to see some seams in Win 10. Crash loops related to updates seem to be highly real. I had that happen on both machines several times now. All of a sudden, I lose the task bar at the bottom of the screen and can't get it back. This morning, after a while, the whole system froze, so I called up Task Manger and rebooted. Later, the task bar disappeared again for a long while, and eventually came back.

It keeps rearranging the icons on my main screen, too.

For me, it's still too much of a "work-in-process", I refuse to be a Beta Tester.

It took two days of installing and configuring updates (and multiple restarts) before Windows 10 seemed stable but, it had a major problem with my Nvidia display adapter which drives my 24" HDMI monitor. The native resolution is 1360 X 768 w 60 Hz refresh rate but, the Win 10 driver only allowed 1024 X 768 at a 30 Hz refresh rate!! I downloaded the newest driver written for Win 10 but, the system would not accept it. When I tried to add a second monitor, Win 10 went crazy for 5-10 minutes updating and configuring the display and in the end, all I had was 2 displays that mirrored each other (instead of extending my desktop). ENOUGH!

I pushed the button to rollback to Windows 7; Microsoft quizzed me on why I didn't like Windows 10 and then allowed me to revert back to Windows 7.

That was an interesting experiment, I should have gotten paid to participate in their testing scheme.

K7SGJ
08-19-2015, 11:26 PM
I have latency issues that have cropped up. Figured one out.

MS Updates (now) are peer to peer networks by default. :wtf:

Updates on your machine is used to seed other PC's.

Yea, I turned that shit off. Saw traffic when I wasn't doing anything.

Where did you go to turn that off?

VE7DCW
08-20-2015, 12:24 AM

Eddie.....maybe you can turn it off by never having installed Windows 10 in the first place! (sorry Eddie,this is just my smart ass comeback to your question) :mrgreen:

WØTKX
08-20-2015, 09:47 PM

http://www.techkhoji.com/stop-windows-10-from-using-your-upload-bandwidth/

n0iu
08-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Thank you for that tip on shutting that shit off! Sometimes I actually do learn stuff here!

WØTKX
08-24-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm learning by doing with this Winders 10 stuff.
Others are ahead of us, and are posting good clues.
My latency issues are still there, but much improved.

K7SGJ
08-25-2015, 07:50 AM
http://www.techkhoji.com/stop-windows-10-from-using-your-upload-bandwidth/

Thank you, Dave. I appreciate helpful people, not smart assed Canadians. I'm going to send him a fresh smoking bag of Maxwell turds.

WØTKX
08-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Well, you're welcome, one and all.

At this point, if it wasn't for the latency...
I'm pretty happy with Windows 10.

As always, the solution is there.
With sufficient funds. :roll:

K7SGJ
08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm good with it as well. One machine wouldn't upgrade because the processor wasn't supported. (I thought those Z80s would be supported forever) One of the Asus netbooks I had to roll back because I had problems with the drivers. One of my newer machines went wacky and the mouse cursor would just stay in one area and shimmy like my sister Kate. All I could do was do a restore, which then locks you in to Win 10 with no way to revert back to 8.1 short of reloading it. It's been working fine since I ran the restore. Other than that, all my other machines are working quite well. I think I'm going to be happy with Win 10 as long as no surprises pop up.

NA4BH
08-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Another thing

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

WØTKX
08-25-2015, 10:11 PM
^^^ I agree. Been using Cortana on Windows Phone 8 for months.

Not that intrusive at all, if you mind the privacy settings.

Better than Siri, especially for driving hands free.

She's funny when I call her a bitch.

VE7DCW
08-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Thank you, Dave. I appreciate helpful people, not smart assed Canadians. I'm going to send him a fresh smoking bag of Maxwell turds.

Well.......... I was just trying to help you out Eddie,but thank you anyways with your tribute offering from our good buddy Maxwell.It shows you definately care! :mrgreen:

KJ3N
08-26-2015, 05:32 PM
^^^ I agree. Been using Cortana on Windows Phone 8 for months.

Not that intrusive at all, if you mind the privacy settings.

Better than Siri, especially for driving hands free.

She's funny when I call her a bitch.

Siri is disabled on my iPhone 5S. Cortana is disabled on W10. I have no use for either.

They both need to stay the fuck off my lawn.

WØTKX
08-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Cortana is OK on my phone, but not my other toys. Very useful for hands free driving.

I commute about 2.5 hours every workday. :(

KG4CGC
09-16-2015, 01:25 AM
Just installed it on an older touchscreen laptop. 3 hours tops. Running like a child's spinning toy.

KG4CGC
09-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Running cooler too.

KG4CGC
09-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, Dave.
I'm really impressed how much cooler this touchscreen laptop is running now. I've been trying ti get it to run hot but it won't.

WØTKX
09-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Even with a "closed OS", the user community rocks. :agree:

KG4CGC
09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Even with a "closed OS", the user community rocks. :agree:

I'm not even a user! I'm a commodity!

KG4CGC
09-17-2015, 11:54 PM
On the Asus machine now. Hour and half. Really fast.

KG4CGC
10-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Newest update arrived. Took care of the low volume issue through the laptop speakers.

WØTKX
10-04-2015, 09:45 PM
I got a serious problem now, and I didn't back up. Hardware failure on the C: boot drive.

It's NOT a Windows 10 fault. It's a Seagate problem with a particular drive I was not aware of.

Poop. :(

KG4CGC
10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Poop indeed.

K4PIH
10-04-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm not upgrading to 10. Some seem to be ok with it, but a friend of mine recently bought a new laptop with 10 and took it back after 3 days of frustration. Went back to her old 7 pro laptop which is faster and familiar.

K7SGJ
10-05-2015, 08:42 AM
After putting Win 10 on around 10 of our LTs, I've had to rollback half to Win 7. Most of the issues appeared on the netbooks and older LTs. On the ones that do work, I like it well enough. Maybe after some further upgrades to the OS, I may consider trying it on a few of the netbooks, again. In any case, I will still keep a few Win 7 machines around for apps that don't like Win 10. Overall, I'd give Win 10 a thumbs up, but nowhere near a 10.

W5BRM
10-05-2015, 09:20 AM
I wont upgrade to w10. It was free for a reason and you always get what you paid for. Dont know what backdoors msn was forced to add on the govts behalf. No trust of microshaft here.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm not upgrading to 10. Some seem to be ok with it, but a friend of mine recently bought a new laptop with 10 and took it back after 3 days of frustration. Went back to her old 7 pro laptop which is faster and familiar.
In terms of the User Interface...

I'm noticing that people who stayed with Win 7 and did not move up to Win 8/8.1 seem to have the most difficulties with Win 10. Those who moved up to Win 8/8.1 have much less difficulties.
- - - - - -
All of the active machines at home are on Win 7 Pro. Little Miss Field Day's machine is now redundant, though, since she has a laptop. Once I move her old Outlook files to the laptop, my nefarious plan is to decommission that box from her use and transfer it to the shack (since it's a small box), at which point either it, or the Boss's former Win 7 Home machine will become the test vehicle for Win X.

There's no immediate rush, since the 'free' update will be, allegedly, available through next June. As time progresses, more and more of the 'missing driver' issues and other bug fixes are being resolved, so time is on our side.

KG4CGC
10-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Anyone yet try CHIRP on WinX?

W3WN
10-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Anyone yet try CHIRP on WinX?Darn good question. CHIRP is a 32 bit app, so it should run. The web site lists WinX as one of the supported OS's, as well.

WØTKX
10-22-2015, 08:26 PM
I got my PC running, and replaced the boot drive with an SSD. Pretty cool. Have not had enough time to piece it all back together till a few nights ago, and it looks like I will be able to repair almost everything without having to reinstall it all.

Learned a lot about WinX low level repairs. It's pretty robust, but of course all the good stuff is at the command prompt.

:rock:

n0iu
10-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Anyone yet try CHIRP on WinX?

Yes, and it works fine.

I had to use the 64 bit fix found on this page to get it to recognize the USB cable: http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html

KG4CGC
10-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Yes, and it works fine.

I had to use the 64 bit fix found on this page to get it to recognize the USB cable: http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html

I haven't tried CHIRP yet on the new set ups mainly because I have had no need but I may get one of those micro mobiles and feel the need to clone my HH.

n0iu
10-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Just be sure to get a programming cable with a genuine Prolific chipset. I am not sure where I got mine, but it was probably from RT Systems.

KG4CGC
10-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Just be sure to get a programming cable with a genuine Prolific chipset. I am not sure where I got mine, but it was probably from RT Systems.

Bought all that with the HH. Got the HH, cable and better antenna all together for like $38 when I caught wind of Amazon selling the HH for $22 a few years ago.

WØTKX
10-24-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm a little confused with the interface changes, but not too bad.

The management "under the hood" stuff is quite a bit different, and is more along the lines of MS server products. Which is not a bad thing. I do run Windows X Pro 64 bit, upgraded from 7 Pro. Never cared for the "home editions".

I'm pretty convinced I will no longer need some third party tools like Partition Commander. Not quite convinced about Anti Virus software yet, but I'm checking into it. Windows Defender does not add much latency at all, and it sure used to. Interesting.

I did upgrade the subscription to G-Data antivirus, as it has been excellent for the latency stuff.

K7SGJ
10-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm a little confused with the interface changes, but not too bad.

The management "under the hood" stuff is quite a bit different, and is more along the lines of MS server products. Which is not a bad thing. I do run Windows X Pro 64 bit, upgraded from 7 Pro. Never cared for the "home editions".

I'm pretty convinced I will no longer need some third party tools like Partition Commander. Not quite convinced about Anti Virus software yet, but I'm checking into it. Windows Defender does not add much latency at all, and it sure used to. Interesting.

I did upgrade the subscription to G-Data antivirus, as it has been excellent for the latency stuff.

I am so glad there are computer gurus like several of youse guys. To me, it's FM. I understand the basics and some of the intermediate stuff. When it comes to more than that, I'd rather be woodworking, fishing, et al. Thank you gurus...................thank you one and all.

WØTKX
10-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Meh, its not that hard. It is time consuming, and annoying if you have deadlines and/or clients.