PDA

View Full Version : Whats the rules on using cross band repeat?

K9CCH
07-28-2015, 03:15 PM
In a nut shell?

I have my boafeng HT, but I'm thinking of an FT8800 or 8900 or even an Alinco to go in the new Jeep. Being able to cross band transmit from my HT to the Jeep and connect to further repeaters would really help make the nights pass by in dispatch.

I know you have to announce that you're using cross band every 10 minutes or something right?

I think I'd need only a one way repeat. So 70cm into 2m to reach the repeater.

K0RGR
07-28-2015, 03:35 PM
The big trick is IDing the thing. You have to ID in both directions, and I'm not sure that there is a rig that will do it for you. Some people have come up with a way to tie an automatic IDer to their rig to accomplish that. The TMV71A has a built in IDer, but I'm not sure it works both ways. The V71 has another nice feature - one way repeat (or 'locked band' mode). You would listen to the distant VHF repeater directly on your dualband HT, and transmit on UHF through the V71. That makes IDing much easier and avoids two other complications. If you are using an xband repeater to work a distant repeater, if the carrier doesn't normally drop on the distant repeater, you are stuck until the carrier times out.

The V71 does have a hard coded three minute timer on it, which annoys some long winded folk.

I think you could achieve the one-way repeat with the Yaesu by setting a Tone Squelch on the incoming signal from the distant repeater, so your transceiver never hears it. I'm not sure if that will actually work, though.

n2ize
08-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Just do as much ID'ing as you can , wherever you can, and you'll be OK.

WØTKX
08-13-2015, 12:03 AM
With kerchunks.

NQ6U
08-13-2015, 11:17 AM
With kerchunks.

“W0TKX kerchunking”

WØTKX
08-16-2015, 05:35 PM
The safe word is "destinated".