PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about a little project of mine

KA9MOT
07-24-2015, 10:30 AM
And you'd think a guy like me who considers himself a Geek would know.... but we're talking about TV here and that is territory I rarely explore.

So, I just received my Raspberry PI 2 Model B. Well, I got it a week ago, but haven't taken the time to get all jiggy with it. My son (he's 16) and my wife want NetFlix in the living room, so I am considering hooking up the old Raspberry Pi to the TV via the HDMI port, getting the damn thing online and running NetFlix through it.

My question is....... Does HDMI also carry the audio? Or will I need to configure some sort of audio cables like I did when I had a computer connected to the old TV?

Thanks in advance!

WØTKX
07-24-2015, 10:39 AM
It's supposed to. I've seen combos that don't work.

If that happens you can get an HDMI pass through box that splits out the audio.

The box may cost as much as the PI. :irked:.

KA9MOT
07-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Thank you!

PA5COR
07-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Only connection to my tv is a HDMI plug carrying both piccie and audio from the Linux satellite receiver.

K0RGR
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Yep, HDMI does it all. One of my PC's only has DVI, so I have a DVI to HDMI adapter and it works great. I have several Pi's that use HDMI, but I haven't tried doing Netflix with one yet. Maybe I'll give it a try this afternoon, and let you know if I encounter any issues. I have to Pi's waiting to become mesh nodes, and one that is my DSTAR DVAP Dongle.

K0RGR
07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Nuts - I tried it on mine and Netflix gave me the middle finger. Netflix requires Microsoft Silverlight, and that won't run on this platform/browser. I don't know if there is a workaround or not. I think they are claiming that Windows 10 will run on it, eventually, so that might be the answer. I also tried Hulu+ and didn't get as far as I did on Netflix.