PDA

View Full Version : Here's one of the more esoteric kits to come down the pike

NQ6U
07-22-2015, 06:40 PM
A DYI power transformer kit (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=2160681&catalogId=10001&trk_msg=SD9HIKCL9BG4J4QMUKLG87A34G&trk_contact=CHQJPDESQK0RL99E11I2CUUV3S&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Transformer+Kit&utm_campaign=Easy+to+build+handy+transformer+kit). Wind it for 3500V and resurrect that dead linear amp! Or, not.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/MakeImag/2160681.jpg

PA5COR
07-23-2015, 12:19 PM
I don't like it to let the smoke out of it...

wa6mhz
07-23-2015, 12:36 PM
some comments on the forum for it:
"With reference to "TRANSFORMER KIT | JAMECO PART NO. 2160681" Step 1 - last paragraph: "An AC/AC wall adapter that outputs 350 mAh would be ideal as a power-source." (! ! ! ! !) Adaptor output is rated in amps or milliamps, not milliampere-hours ! Step 3 - last paragraph: "energy is sometimes stored in the secondary coil after first use" (! ! ! ! !) No it isn't ! There will only be a danger of shock voltage (for milliseconds or less) from an inductor if the circuit is broken whilst current is flowing. After disconnection, it stores no energy at all ! Only capacitors and batteries store energy in the form of electric charge ! Not inductors ! The author needs to study basic electronics."

"So this is not for 60Hz, then, but for higher frequencies. It has the wrong kind of core for 50 or 60Hz, and the wire is too large. You'd need a -lot- higher mu core, and a -lot- finer wire so you could fit a lot more turns in the primary. It isn't a matter of voltage versus current - the inductance is far too low, so there would be excessive current at 60Hz, and the core will almost certainly saturate, causing the current to rise even higher. This is more suited to making a custom transformer for a switching mode power supply."

(so this is 400HZ transformer kit? Good for SYNCHROS and Old Military power supplies)

"One thing you need to understand with transformers is that Amperage is just as important as voltage in the total outcome. if you double the voltage than the amperage drops by half. this being said, the problem you would have with household "line power" isn't just the voltage but rather the large current that is going along with it. so can it handle line "voltage" Yes. can it handle line "amperage"? NO. I would STRONGLY caution not to use direct line input ."

"No!!! The core is not big enough for use at 120Vac at 60Hz and is the wrong material especially with only 120 turns of 24Ga wire as mentioned. This core is designed for a switching supply up in to the 40Khz to 100khz range, at best the lowest frequency that can/should be used with a core of this type would be about 10Khz. If you are designing a switching type supply this would be a good core. However, I don't see any specs or the size of this core so I can't quote on what the power range of this core is capable of."

So it sounds kinda USELESS!!
it was a nice thought, but not practical.
I wanna wind a KILLERWATT Power transformer!!

XE1/N5AL
07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Here's one satisfied Jameco transformer kit builder:

kb2vxa
07-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Transformers, blubber in disguise... or not.