PDA

View Full Version : Why Does This Sort Of Stuff Always Happen to Me?

W3WN
07-22-2015, 09:07 AM
So in the mail yesterday is a letter from the Borough. This is never good.

Letter is a disconnect notice, due to a delinquent sewage bill. About $52.

The bills are normally handled by a 3rd party on behalf of the Borough, but they send out the "official" notices.

Funny thing, though. My last two bills (which I kept, thank goodness) show that I have (had) a credit. Two months ago, it was for $55 and change; last month, about a buck & a half.

How could this be?

Well, got a money order this morning, went up to the Borough and talked to the appropriate person. Here's what happened:

My January payment got credited to February, but never marked as paid. February to March. And so on, until someone noticed in time for the June bill that I had a credit (basically, the money from January that wasn't applied). The timing discrepancy happens because they take 10 days to process payments, so the payments were being applied after the next bill was sent out... even though they weren't late.

So, who's fault is it that January was never correctly marked as paid? Oh, it's mine, according to the Borough. I should have known. Even though none of the bills showed a past due balance. And I got a lecture on waiting until the due date to pay (I usually mail the bills -- no, you can't pay them in person, they go to a PO Box about 20 miles away -- a week before) instead of paying them the day I get them.
:wall:
Now, what does that has to do with the money for credit not being applied to the January bill, but being used as a credit, and no one noticing? No one has an answer for that one. (And the 3rd party? They won't talk to me, since it's now in the hands of the Borough. Nice.)
:wall:
Would it have been asking too much for someone to just say "we screwed up, sorry about that"?

* sigh *

KG4NEL
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
I sincerely hope all non-online bills are anachronisms in the next five years.* I can't think of anything more inefficient of everyone's time. I have a big enough problem trying to get Vanguard to stop sending me paper statements for my IRA.

* Well, unless Fred is running the online system.

K0RGR
07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Sounds like your Monday was almost as much fun as mine.

My wife covered a very early shift for somebody on Monday, so I had to drive her in at 3:30 in the morning. Fortunately, it only happens a couple times a year. I spent the morning puttering around and napping and picked her up at noon. My other vehicle had a dead battery, so I had it on a charger. When I tried it in mid-afternoon, it still wouldn't start. I discovered that I had near-sightedly clipped the positive charger lead onto something that was insulated.

In the evening, the wife sent me out to get our dinner, and everything looked OK when I left. When I got back, I discovered that the mast under my H-422 rotary dipole had snapped, and when the antenna fell, it took most of my other antennas with it. I'm assembling an antenna party this evening to repair the damage.

Finally, I went to watch TV before going to bed. I found that Windows Media Center no longer had any information in its guide. This is not a big deal except that I can't record anything, and we record most of the stuff we watch from over the air TV. I spent hours trying everything I could find as a suggestion on various support sites - none of which worked. Eventually, I decided to just reconfigure the whole thing, and that partially fixed it. Everything works except that our one local TV station isn't there. Repeaterd scans won't find it. The TV set sees it, the TV tuner card in the PC sees it, other apps see it, but Windows Media Center can't find it. That's where it sits now. Of course, we watch that station more than any other. Nuts... and it's one of those things Microsoft won't acknowledge as their problem, too. I manually added it back in, and the Guide still doesn't download the schedule.

So that's where I've been lately...

Just discovered that my email is down this morning, too. Did I mention that the problems on QRZ suck?

kb2vxa
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
You misspelled burro, a common critter down at City Hall. A jackass admit it was HIS fault? You must be kidding! Then there's Micro$haft, you hit the jackpot with that one. QRZ sucks? Thanks for telling me or I never would have known.

KC2UGV
07-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I sincerely hope all non-online bills are anachronisms in the next five years.* I can't think of anything more inefficient of everyone's time. I have a big enough problem trying to get Vanguard to stop sending me paper statements for my IRA.

* Well, unless Fred is running the online system.

Yeah, I was wishing that until they finally did it here for my property taxes, sewer taxes, etc etc.

They farking charge $2 if you pay online. Dafuq? Why should we pay you $2 extra to allow you to hire fewer payment processors?

X-Rated
07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
QSL via the Borough. Er, uh burro.

K0RGR
07-23-2015, 12:38 PM
In this case it was more like "me and the burro", or goat if you prefer...

Thanks to three friendly locals, the antenna situation is much improved but the H422 looks a little like a pretzel on the ground now. The MS stuff is still unresolved, I'm going to try an open source replacement. It looks great, but requires rocket science to configure. The truck is running, so two and a half out of three things are solved.

Waiting on QRZ. We must rehash the ARRL Board Meeting!