PDA

View Full Version : ARRL Dues Hike & More

W3WN
07-21-2015, 11:52 AM
The ARRL Board met over the weekend. Full details on what was covered can be found at

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-board-approves-dues-hike-hf-band-plan-2016-national-parks-centennial-event

Two items of note:

(1) Dues are increasing by $10 a year, effective 1 January 2016. First dues hike since 2001 -- 15 years.
(2) Dave Sumner K1ZZ is retiring in the spring.

Anyone want his job? They're looking for applicants.

KJ3N
07-21-2015, 01:14 PM
The ARRL Board met over the weekend. Full details on what was covered can be found at

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-board-approves-dues-hike-hf-band-plan-2016-national-parks-centennial-event

Two items of note:

(1) Dues are increasing by $10 a year, effective 1 January 2016. First dues hike since 2001 -- 15 years.
(2) Dave Sumner K1ZZ is retiring in the spring.

Anyone want his job? They're looking for applicants.

No fucking way. I suggest they hire Burt. :evil:

KC2UGV
07-21-2015, 01:46 PM

'Wik likely will be teaching whomever gets the job.

W3WN
07-21-2015, 01:51 PM
You know, that's actually not a bad idea.

After all, Bertie Boy teaches 4th graders (or so he'd have us believe), which means he's used to dealing with whiny hams.

Nah. He'd never take the job. He might actually have to put his money, so to speak, where his mouth is.

wa6mhz
07-21-2015, 02:38 PM
YIKES!!! $10 more a year??? That will make it $49 a year. I shoulda renewed for 3 years this last Dayton, but I still had a year on my contract! Maybe if U get in before January 2016 U can get the 3 x $39 rate!

WØTKX
07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Ahem.
I nominate Ron.
:evil:

KJ3N
07-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Ahem.
I nominate Ron.

:snicker:

Why do you hate Ron?

NQ6U
07-21-2015, 03:19 PM
'Wik likely will be teaching whomever gets the job.

The WIK showed Hiram Percy Maxim how to build his first radio and the ARRL was his idea.

WØTKX
07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
:snicker:

Why do you hate Ron?

I don't hate him. I like moderate conservatives, mostly. :rofl:

N8XE
07-21-2015, 03:38 PM
YIKES!!! $10 more a year??? That will make it $49 a year. I shoulda renewed for 3 years this last Dayton, but I still had a year on my contract! Maybe if U get in before January 2016 U can get the 3 x $39 rate!

Time to start a kickstarter campaign there Pat ;)

KG4NEL
07-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Damn, apparently they just hired someone new as Contest Branch Manager...

kb2vxa
07-22-2015, 02:46 PM
First dues hike since 2001 -- 15 years."
Big fuckin' deal. It's like a flood control dam out of control, store it until the dam bursts typical ARRL out of control.

"(2) Dave Sumner K1ZZ is retiring in the spring."
If I cared I'd say it's about time they loose that asshole. All the way home from Dayton I listened to him and his little gang of lids talking shit on 52, the 2M FM CALLING channel when they should have been on 55 the normally accepted talkaround channel. That's par for the course, they treat membership with the same lack of respect and consideration.

"Anyone want his job? They're looking for applicants."
You gotta be fuckin' high, I quit years ago under the banner "Taxation without representation is tyranny!" when every time I tried to discuss an important matter with a Section Manager I was brushed aside. ARRL 4Q!

Oh and BTW thanks for another opportunity to vent gas so I don't explode.

W3WN
07-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Ahem.
I nominate Ron.
Not going to happen.

I'd have to move to Connecticut. Which means I'd have to get a divorce, since The Boss won't move away from Pittsburgh. And that would mean I'd be so cleaned out, I couldn't afford to move in the first place.

Seriously, if I had a say, I'd nominate Wayne Mills N7NG. Assuming he'd go back to CT.

kb2vxa
07-23-2015, 01:23 PM
I nominate Glen Baxter.

XE1/N5AL
07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
I nominate Glen Baxter.

We all know what would be the result of that ....AARA ARRL credit cards! Waa-hoo! We could use them to buy new rigs and support ham radio vendors. Our shacks would be overflowing with goodies! It's just like FREE MONEY!!!

wa6mhz
07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
I'll go!! But its going to be hard getting used to SNOW 6 months a year!

kb2vxa
07-24-2015, 06:09 AM
In Newington the snow never stops. With Baxter running the show huskies and yellow snow turns brown with HIS qualifications, BS, MS, PhD... Bull Shit and More Shit Piled Higher and Deeper. Oh and don't forget his PE, as a Practicing Engineer no matter how much practice he'll never get it right. He'd be perfect for FCC Field Engineer like Roger Nye The FCC Guy who tried plugging an N connector into an SO-239 and after handing him the correct jumper he tried to read a 5W CB radio with a 100W 450MHz slug in the trusty Bird 43. "Hey Rog, try THIS one." It only got worse...

X-Rated
07-25-2015, 09:16 AM
First dues hike since 2001 -- 15 years."
Big fuckin' deal. It's like a flood control dam out of control, store it until the dam bursts typical ARRL out of control.

"(2) Dave Sumner K1ZZ is retiring in the spring."
If I cared I'd say it's about time they loose that asshole. All the way home from Dayton I listened to him and his little gang of lids talking shit on 52, the 2M FM CALLING channel when they should have been on 55 the normally accepted talkaround channel. That's par for the course, they treat membership with the same lack of respect and consideration.

"Anyone want his job? They're looking for applicants."
You gotta be fuckin' high, I quit years ago under the banner "Taxation without representation is tyranny!" when every time I tried to discuss an important matter with a Section Manager I was brushed aside. ARRL 4Q!

Oh and BTW thanks for another opportunity to vent gas so I don't explode.

Why don't you just tell us how you really feel?

kb2vxa
07-25-2015, 10:27 AM
OK, I feel much better having vented that gas otherwise wasted in summer when heat isn't needed. After all I can only sit on so many ducks before someone complains to the ASPCA for being cruel to animals.

K0RGR
07-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, I won't miss the 10 bucks. I was much more interested in the other news out of the Director meeting. They will be petitioning FCC to refarm the
3600 to 3650 segment on 75 back to CW/Digital, and grant technicians some kind of digital privileges on 15 and 80.

As somebody who has to contend with a lot of QRM in the digital section of 80, I'm all in favor of both those things. If they create a separate Tech subband, I'll move my net there so Techs can participate. Most of you probably know that I've been advocating some kind of nighttime HF band that Techs might actually use for a long time. Out here in the flatlands, unless you are close to a major metropolis or happen to have a repeater that's linked full time to something like the WIN System, two meters is a vast desert wasteland. It would be great for newbs in that situation - that is, in most of the country - to have something to do.

kb2vxa
07-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I tend to agree especially since 2M CB has become a vast desert wasteland across the country. The good part and I mean GOOD part is getting away from the CB style (without all the cussing and carrying on) operating and learn to be REAL hams where operating is entirely different. HF is where it's at and with higher frequency bands pretty dead except for a few local watering holes on 10M it looks like a segment of 80M is a grand idea. Let's hope the FCC agrees, they have a bad habit of nixing some good proposals.

n2ize
08-07-2015, 07:27 PM
As an AM'er I can't even join the ARRL much less hold a position there.

WØTKX
08-07-2015, 07:41 PM
:lol:

It ebbs and flows around here, but we are blessed with killer repeater coverage, and some pretty good ham radio groups on the front range. The W0CRA repeater system is one of my favorites, there is a machene at 145.145 that is known as the ragchew and/or doubling repeater. It gets a little nuts, but rarely does anybody QRM or get too weird.

On that machine, I got christened as "Linear Lips" recently. My back got bad (it does that sometimes) so I took a couple of Tramadol, then went off on a mild and funny (loopy) rant about my zany health care billable experiences. Timed out the repeater. Still hearing about it, both the timeout and the subject. So it goes. :lol:

KG4NEL
08-07-2015, 08:25 PM
As an AM'er I can't even join the ARRL much less hold a position there.

?

KG4NEL
08-07-2015, 08:26 PM
On that machine, I got christened as "Linear Lips" recently. My back got bad (it does that sometimes) so I took a couple of Tramadol, then went off on a mild and funny (loopy) rant about my zany health care billable experiences. Timed out the repeater. Still hearing about it, both the timeout and the subject. So it goes. :lol:

That's when you take it to 75 :snicker:

K0RGR
08-17-2015, 03:20 PM

It ebbs and flows around here, but we are blessed with killer repeater coverage, and some pretty good ham radio groups on the front range. The W0CRA repeater system is one of my favorites, there is a machene at 145.145 that is known as the ragchew and/or doubling repeater. It gets a little nuts, but rarely does anybody QRM or get too weird.

If you live near I-5, I-15, or I-25 two meters can be very entertaining. Even here, if you live within 30 miles of the Twin Cities Metro, there is enough activity to make you think you didn't waste your money on a two meter rig. But in between there and the next island of activity is a long, long drive. Actually, it's not that bad around here if you have DSTAR or IRLP and can connect to people who live near I-5, I-15- or I-25.

I don't know how many Techs will actually get on 80 meter digital modes - probably not all that many. But it gives us something else to offer the interested. 15 meters will be a boost for everybody, as that band is under-utilized, particularly for digital. Those of us waving the tattered banner of HF can try to evangelize, and perhaps shift the emphasis off of two meters a bit.

n0km
08-17-2015, 04:10 PM

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/20308

(http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/20308)

n0km
08-17-2015, 04:14 PM
If that one is slow, (Dave timed out the machine) here is one that might fill the bill:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14816

kb2vxa
08-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Linear lips? Ain't nothin', I know a guy who did it up good. As if a 2M H stack up 90ft wasn't enough, he fed it with a kilowatt Class C FM amp (YIKES!) and made old buzzard transmissions lasting 20 minutes or more. Once he timed out simplex LITERALLY, over an hour later .52 was dead as a door nail, the half dozen people he was talking with were gone as was everybody within a 200 mile radius. Oh I wasn't dumb enough to sit there listening, I was watching the bars on my HT while in QSO on a 70cM linked repeater network.