PDA

View Full Version : What happened at QRZ?

NK7Z
07-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Anyone know what happened over on QRZ.COM... Forums have been down for quite a while now...

W3WN
07-21-2015, 08:40 AM
We know (as opposed to what we're speculating) only as much as anyone else does.

Someone tried to do a software update. Something went wrong. They have yet to fully recover from it. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law. Film at 11.

N8YX
07-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Now leave the thing down for two weeks and see if it's missed.

NQ6U
07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
We know (as opposed to what we're speculating) only as much as anyone else does.

He's just playing dumb. It was actually caused by a secret cabal of 733t Ham Island haxors.

WØTKX
07-21-2015, 05:25 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/11/af/06/11af06a38d3c43b4262e44231fd13d40.jpg

http://media.giphy.com/media/nEovVMM8Z5H6U/giphy.gif

VE7DCW
07-21-2015, 05:33 PM
The conspiracy theorists insist that Eham is behind it to get the likes of the WIK and Sue and EY to make a permanent home of that site! ......but of course I could be totally wrong........ but I like the idea of Carl's "733t Ham Island haxors" even better! :snicker:

n2ize
07-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Maybe the server got hit by lightning.

KC2UGV
07-21-2015, 06:58 PM
I think their ssl settings are jacked. Looks like they might be using Cloudflare, and have the "Super SSL" option enabled with the server not configured properly; or something similar.

KG4CGC
07-21-2015, 08:16 PM
It was Pat.

WØTKX
07-21-2015, 10:56 PM
:lol:

PA5COR
07-22-2015, 02:55 AM
From the QRZ page:

QRZ Forums Will Resume Soon... We know it's been a long outage and many people have contacted us to voice their concern over our Ham Radio Forums. I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that Stephen (VA7STV) and I are working overtime building a replacement forums platform. Fortunately we have some good backups of the data. The forums software, however, is another issue. We made a serious mistake when we trusted our software supplier, vBulletin, with an upgrade that was destined to fail. We've upgraded our forums software many times in the past without incident and so you can imagine how surprised we were when their latest edition crashed and burned on liftoff.
In retrospect, we should have attempted this upgrade on a parallel system but given our past experience we believed that things would be ok with a live upgrade. They weren't. We are sorry for the disappointment our forums users have experienced over this event and sincerely apologize for that.
Our new software, Xenforo, promises to do a great job. It has a great track record running on very large sites and we're configuring it now for QRZ. The process takes a while, however, because it must read each of the 4 million items from the old system and put them into the new one. We've already moved all of the discussion postings over from the old system and are nearly ready to open it back up to users.
There are a few bits and pieces left to work out in order for us make all of the site features work properly and we believe that we should have it ready in a day or so. We sincerely hope that you'll stick with us with your encouragement and kind words which we always appreciate. We promise, you'll like the end result.

Note: this outage includes the Private Messaging function as it was a part of the Forums system. We would also like to point out that all of our other services including the callsign database, our Logbook, our XML Data, Practice Tests and other non-forum features are stil available for use.

End quote.

In short, we fooked up.

N8XE
07-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Yup, failed to test it on a parallel server. In a production environment where I worked, we never ever upgrade software without testing on a parallel environment.

So QRZ will have new forum software.

I will be implementing forum software soon for my astronomy club. I may need to keep this one in mind.

Jason N8XE

W3WN
07-22-2015, 08:55 AM
:soapbox:
As much as they admitted to, I have to believe, from experience, that there's more to the story. Not that we'll ever know.

I'm not sure if this was due to sheer stupidity, or blind arrogance fed by ego.

Blaming the software/vendor (without further details) strikes me as a convenient :deadhorse: to be beaten (that's your cue there, Jim). Let's them wash their hands of the problems, since it's all the scapegoat's fault. Couldn't be THEIR fault, after all. :naughty:

Feh.

Now, for those of who've had dealings of one sort or another with current or former staff/management Over Yonder, none of this should come as a surprise. In fact, the only surprise is that it took so long for it to happen, it's an accident that's been brewing for a long, long time.

But will they learn?
:wall: :hittingself:

PA5COR
07-22-2015, 12:20 PM
It's just to show that companies today have a serious problem just saying "sorry we fooked up" and tell the truth.
Point to 3rd parties or anything except yourself as source of that fookup.

Dunno if that is a good way to run a business that customers pays you money to keep things running smoothly...

K0RGR
07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
If I read that correctly, it looks like they booted vBulletin in favor of someone else. If so, they've managed this at record speed.

"To err is human, you need a computer to really screw things up".

wa6mhz
07-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't see how they can import all the messages and posts from one platform to another, especially with the staggering volume of messages and posts that need to be restaged! NO wonder it will take days to do, even at computer speed! Will be interesting to see how much is restored!

XE1/N5AL
07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
The Xenforo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo) Wikipedia says that the company was started by two former vBulletin lead developers. I guess that could help with some compatibility concerns.

kb2vxa
07-22-2015, 02:59 PM
"I'm not sure if this was due to sheer stupidity, or blind arrogance fed by ego."

After years of discussion about teh QRZoo alligator and snake infested swamp YOU'RE NOT SURE? Do you need a brick to fall on your head or what? (;->) I've been hearing echoes of "it's too big to fail" for years and now it's happened. "And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird." Revelation 18:2

W3WN
07-22-2015, 08:31 PM
I don't see how they can import all the messages and posts from one platform to another, especially with the staggering volume of messages and posts that need to be restaged! NO wonder it will take days to do, even at computer speed! Will be interesting to see how much is restored!
I'll betcha that the incriminating PM's I got from someone now on the perma-banned list will be on the list of those emails/posts that can not or will not be restored. Along with a few anti-Semitic PM's I got from a (now inactive) Zedian with a SE Asia call...

I'd further wager on 3:2 odds that most of the historical forum posts will also be lost.

W3WN
07-22-2015, 08:33 PM
"I'm not sure if this was due to sheer stupidity, or blind arrogance fed by ego."

After years of discussion about teh QRZoo alligator and snake infested swamp YOU'RE NOT SURE? Do you need a brick to fall on your head or what? (;->) I've been hearing echoes of "it's too big to fail" for years and now it's happened. "And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird." Revelation 18:2I was being polite, and leaving it to the discretion of the reader to decide if it was one, the other, or a combination of both.

IMHO, it's both. 50/50. Of course, again IMHO, the two go hand in hand.

VE7DCW
07-22-2015, 11:55 PM
I'll betcha that the incriminating PM's I got from someone now on the perma-banned list will be on the list of those emails/posts that can not or will not be restored. Along with a few anti-Semitic PM's I got from a (now inactive) Zedian with a SE Asia call...

I'd further wager on 3:2 odds that most of the historical forum posts will also be lost.

I sort of had the same thoughts Ron....... it's like one of those "happy accidents" that you read about happening at just the right time! .......... it's just plain glorious! :yes:

KC2UGV
07-23-2015, 06:39 AM
From the QRZ page:

QRZ Forums Will Resume Soon... We know it's been a long outage and many people have contacted us to voice their concern over our Ham Radio Forums. I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that Stephen (VA7STV) and I are working overtime building a replacement forums platform. Fortunately we have some good backups of the data. The forums software, however, is another issue. We made a serious mistake when we trusted our software supplier, vBulletin, with an upgrade that was destined to fail. We've upgraded our forums software many times in the past without incident and so you can imagine how surprised we were when their latest edition crashed and burned on liftoff.
In retrospect, we should have attempted this upgrade on a parallel system but given our past experience we believed that things would be ok with a live upgrade. They weren't. We are sorry for the disappointment our forums users have experienced over this event and sincerely apologize for that.
Our new software, Xenforo, promises to do a great job. It has a great track record running on very large sites and we're configuring it now for QRZ. The process takes a while, however, because it must read each of the 4 million items from the old system and put them into the new one. We've already moved all of the discussion postings over from the old system and are nearly ready to open it back up to users.
There are a few bits and pieces left to work out in order for us make all of the site features work properly and we believe that we should have it ready in a day or so. We sincerely hope that you'll stick with us with your encouragement and kind words which we always appreciate. We promise, you'll like the end result.

Note: this outage includes the Private Messaging function as it was a part of the Forums system. We would also like to point out that all of our other services including the callsign database, our Logbook, our XML Data, Practice Tests and other non-forum features are stil available for use.

End quote.

In short, we fooked up.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/97/d3/ba/97d3ba93d9a90ee127e0e6b59197be73.jpg

KC2UGV
07-23-2015, 06:41 AM

The amount of data in a forum is miniscule compared to other datasets.

You can generally do an app-to-app migration in under a day, provided a migration tool exists.

W3WN
07-23-2015, 10:27 AM
BTW, N2EY has now joined the refugees and exiles over on eHam.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,104399.15.html Reply #27, for one.

Anyone want to set odds on how long it will be before Jim starts fussing with the Maize Resident again?

I'm going to sit back and get a refill on :popcorn:

On edit: And boy, is the Maize Resident going after the Zed Ztaff, guns a'blazin'. Never mind that she's absolutely right, it's (as always) HOW she is saying it.

Suffice to say, that's another bridge torched.

More :popcorn: -- anyone have any extra butter?

KJ3N
07-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Anyone want to set odds on how long it will be before Jim starts fussing with the Maize Resident again?

That depends entirely on how long it takes for "the Maize Resident" to start spouting her Alex Jones type BS.

VE7DCW
07-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Interesting to see "PITSWL" aka AE4FB is already reading Sue stuff here in Decon about her new appearance on Eham...... fancy that

:squint:

kb2vxa
07-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Spellcheck... PITSWILL

swill (from the pit)
verb:
1. wash or rinse out (our island) by pouring large amounts of water over it
and flush to peeham
noun:
1. refuse and scraps of waste mixed with water for feeding to pigs.

Fancy THAT.

XE1/N5AL
07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
How long would it take for a room full of monkeys, typing randomly at their keyboards, to eventually recreate all of the original QRZ postings?

AE7RZ
07-23-2015, 04:16 PM
How long would it take for a room full of monkeys, typing randomly at their keyboards, to eventually recreate all of the original QRZ postings?

About 10 or 15 minutes including banana breaks.

KC2UGV
07-23-2015, 05:05 PM

I think that was the bulk old posts anyways.

NA4BH
07-23-2015, 08:39 PM
It's back up, but it's still broke.

NA4BH
07-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Don't use the secure button and it works.

NA4BH
07-23-2015, 08:51 PM
So what's up with the points you can earn? Do you get toasters, T shirts, and stuff like that?

NQ6U
07-23-2015, 09:25 PM
So what's up with the points you can earn? Do you get toasters, T shirts, and stuff like that?

BJs. Don't ask from whom.

K4PIH
07-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I see JEF, who was recently banned, is now showing up as "new member" so did the upgrade nullify the banned?

KG4NEL
07-23-2015, 10:03 PM

I could go so many directions with this.

NQ6U
07-23-2015, 10:11 PM
I could go so many directions with this.

Yes, but do you really want to go in any of them? :mrgreen:

VE7DCW
07-23-2015, 10:12 PM

Remember Carl.... it's not who you know,it's who you blow........ :yes:

VE7DCW
07-23-2015, 10:15 PM
It's back up, but it's still broke.

If it aint broke..... don't fix it .......Phreddie's new moto ..... true story :mrgreen:

wa6mhz
07-23-2015, 10:28 PM
will see how it goes, but looks fine so far!

XE1/N5AL
07-23-2015, 10:52 PM

I don't know what they're good for, but I have earned 16 of 'em and I'm going for more!

Maybe they're like those useless Best Buy Reward Points, that aren't valid for any name-brand, popular product that you might want to purchase ...only for the high-margin junk, like Chinese-manufactured carrying cases for your CD collection.

NA4BH
07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't know what they're good for, but I have earned 16 of 'em and I'm going for more!

Maybe they're like those useless Best Buy Reward Points, that aren't valid for any name-brand, popular product that you might want to purchase ...only for the high-margin junk, like Chinese-manufactured carrying cases for your CD collection.

You should save your Best Buy points for the leatherette cassette case.

WØTKX
07-23-2015, 10:56 PM
No conspiracies. I posted twice, worked OK.

Nice looking forum software.

Still poking around.

W3WN
07-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Well, anything that was in my inbox prior to 2015 is gone. No surprise, I kinda expected it.

Probably just as well. So it goes.

XE1/N5AL
07-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Well, anything that was in my inbox prior to 2015 is gone. No surprise, I kinda expected it.

Probably just as well. So it goes.

Same thing with me. Possibly, they're still transferring data and adding functionality. But, if everything in the Inbox is lost, it's no big deal.

If they had lost a decade's worth of forum postings, I'm not so sure that would have been missed either.

NQ6U
07-23-2015, 11:34 PM

They were The WIK's idea, you know.

NA4BH
07-23-2015, 11:42 PM
He got a Ferrari with his points. True story.

Halle Berry drove it to his house and gave it to him.

Personally, I have my eye on a juicer/blender.

suddenseer
07-24-2015, 05:06 AM

Personally, I have my eye on a juicer/blender.I got the juicer/blender for a very successful straight youth to gay youth recruitment month. I used it once. It sure looks nice sitting on my kitchen counter.

kb2vxa
07-24-2015, 06:24 AM
"Still poking around."
Keep up the good work, it's what we do. Eh, not me, I just follow the links and laugh at more ons than last time minus our favorite corn harvester.

KA9MOT
07-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Looks like it's back up. You have to log in to view anything, and has a different URL.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php

I'm not sure I like the new look....why is everything switching to bright colors? Even Android.... is it the 90s again?

W3WN
07-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Looks like it's back up. You have to log in to view anything, and has a different URL.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php

I'm not sure I like the new look....why is everything switching to bright colors? Even Android.... is it the 90s again?Doesn't look like there's a way to change the color settings... at least not at the moment.

It is irritating. On several levels.

ka4dpo
07-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Yeah the color is weak and there is not enough contrast.

NY4Q
07-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Although I'm not now nor have ever been a smoker, I'm starting to look at this as not smoking for a week. Why go back? I think I'll be fine with the olde Island and eHam. I only wish it had crashed so hard, you'd have to re-register. Then there'd never have been a record of me being there.

Its almost like I'd just go read some posts there to piss myself off. Sort of a self (mental) mutilation...

NQ6U
07-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Up to 18 points now. Is that enough for a toaster oven?

NQ6U
07-24-2015, 09:23 PM

Now we know why Simon & Garfunkel broke up. The WIK was their Yoko.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/drove-over-bridge-that-collapsed-minutes-later.487020/#post-3551354

KG4NEL
07-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Plastic WIK Band?

VE7DCW
07-24-2015, 11:41 PM
Now we know why Simon & Garfunkel broke up. The WIK was their Yoko.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/drove-over-bridge-that-collapsed-minutes-later.487020/#post-3551354

Paul Simon was the only music teacher the WIK ever had when he took 1 music course at NYU!

All I keep saying about the WIK is....... "what a guy!" .......it's so difficult visualizing someone larger than life! :mrgreen:

suddenseer
07-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Paul Simon was the only music teacher the WIK ever had when he took 1 music course at NYU!

All I keep saying about the WIK is....... "what a guy!" .......it's so difficult visualizing someone larger than life! :mrgreen:Is this the WIK so many speak of?

Or is he the guy on the left?

WN9HJW
07-25-2015, 07:41 AM
The Wik (http://thewik.com) ??

W3WN
07-25-2015, 10:23 AM
The Wik (http://thewik.com) ??
That page looks like it belongs to Da Cow.

kb2vxa
07-25-2015, 11:19 AM
"It is irritating. On several levels."
It always has been, so what else is news?

"I only wish it had crashed so hard, you'd have to re-register. Then there'd never have been a record of me being there."
A long time ago I left and it did just that soon after, I was erased, gone without a trace except for my call in the database the swamp downloads weakly from the FCC one. I celebrated with an ice cold glass of Flaming Carrot juice... WOOT!
"Its almost like I'd just go read some posts there to piss myself off."
Don't do it, that's pissing ON yourself!

"Now we know why Simon & Garfunkel broke up. The WIK was their Yoko."
Oh crikey, Baron Von Munchausen... I mean Baron Von WIKthofen strikes again. Somebody please shoot him and put us out of his misery.

"Plastic WIK Band?"
Plastic Oh No Band.

"All I keep saying about the WIK is....... "what a guy!"
He once parallel parked a train. He's the most uninteresting man in the world.

"That page looks like it belongs to Da Cow."
Hello? Did somebody mention my refried beans powered APU equipped pink Bell 47 helicopter landing at Toxic Hell for another load of tacos? Yo te queiro Toxic Hell, live mas and make a run for the toilet.

N8XE
07-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Although I'm not now nor have ever been a smoker, I'm starting to look at this as not smoking for a week. Why go back? I think I'll be fine with the olde Island and eHam. I only wish it had crashed so hard, you'd have to re-register. Then there'd never have been a record of me being there.

Its almost like I'd just go read some posts there to piss myself off. Sort of a self (mental) mutilation...

I agree. Not really having much of a desire to even go there anymore (not like I was active all the time there anyway). This really has become my Ham Radio home on the net. I have my astronomy forum and now at model railroad forum. I am good..

Jason N8XE

N7YA
07-30-2015, 03:43 PM
I go there all the time....to look up callsigns. I never go to the forums.

kb2vxa
07-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Why bother when you can look up ALL FCC licenses here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=Fkc1Z3r23m nJUGYbBGFwm0jrT3nH3A1zmwUbfci9XhGiGdoVlGWJ!5750047 3!-619655085

NQ6U
07-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Why bother when you can look up ALL FCC licenses here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=Fkc1Z3r23m nJUGYbBGFwm0jrT3nH3A1zmwUbfci9XhGiGdoVlGWJ!5750047 3!-619655085

Perfectly fine—assuming you never make QSOs with hams outside the US of A.

Bitch all you want about the Zed forums but they do not in any way lessen the utility of Fred's primary creation: the QRZ ham radio operator database.

N7YA
07-30-2015, 11:58 PM

Its all well and good, but it doesnt tell me very much about who i contacted...the person behind the key. Lots of personalized info on the Zed because the op's themselves customize it. And like Carl said, it only covers the 48 states. I tried looking up my old Alaskan call, no record of it there at all, but my old N7RAP was there, along with who has it now.

N8XE
07-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Perfectly fine—assuming you never make QSOs with hams outside the US of A.

Bitch all you want about the Zed forums but they do not in any way lessen the utility of Fred's primary creation: the QRZ ham radio operator database.

I agree. QRZ is my go to place for information about who I may be in contact with. With their XML API, my logging program goes out and gets the information for me.

Plus, it is how I value my worth by how many callsign look ups are done. ;)

Jason N8XE