PDA

View Full Version : Firefox disables Flash Player

n2ize
07-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Due to vulnerabilities in Flash player Mozilla has disabled flash plug-ins from running the highly insecure crapwarez known as flash player. It is up to the users disxcretion if he/she actually wants to run the crapware.

Meanwhile I have always hated flash player with a burning passion. If I want to view You Toob videos I can simply use VLC and/or plenty of better players that are available.

PA5COR
07-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Flas just updated the player to close the vulnerabilleties.

WØTKX
07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Flash has been losing it's spark lately. WTF, I thought HTML 5 and stuff was gonna take over... :shifty:

NQ6U
07-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Flash has been losing it's spark lately. WTF, I thought HTML 5 and stuff was gonna take over... :shifty:

It will, but it's taking way longer than anyone hoped.

n2ize
07-14-2015, 06:57 PM
It will, but it's taking way longer than anyone hoped.

I hope it happens soon. The sooner flash player is finally laid to rest the better. :)

WX7P
07-14-2015, 07:25 PM
I hope it happens soon. The sooner flash player is finally laid to rest the better. :)

I don't know about that. Flash has many good qualities and has many satisfied users over the years it has been used.

I think you're jumping to conclusions and defaming Flash when it's really not that bad at all!

n2ize
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Maybe so but there are several good alternatives to Flash without the vulnerabilities. At the very least I'll say that Mozilla has done the right thing for its user base.

n2ize
07-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Flas just updated the player to close the vulnerabilleties.

I downloaded the latest version and it's still disabled in Firefox. But that's probably a Firefox thang that will be changedin the next Firefox update... provided that Adobe has actually removed the vulnerabilities.

NQ6U
07-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't know about that. Flash has many good qualities and has many satisfied users over the years it has been used.

I think you're jumping to conclusions and defaming Flash when it's really not that bad at all!

I have to agree with John on this one—Flash is bad news. It's buggy and a continual source of security breaches, but it's worst sin is that it's proprietary. That's the antithesis of what the Intertoobs is supposed to be all about. And because Adobe is the sole provider, it's expensive, too. Price the software required to develop full range of Flash (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Adobe-Flash-Pro-CS5-Windows-/257301045?gpid=68416460701&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CIC95f7328YCFUhgfgodonIAuQ) apps sometime; you'll be appalled.

WX7P
07-14-2015, 08:43 PM
I have to agree with John on this one—Flash is bad news. It's buggy and a continual source of security breaches, but it's worst sin is that it's proprietary. That's the antithesis of what the Intertoobs is supposed to be all about. And because Adobe is the sole provider, it's expensive, too. Price the software required to develop full range of Flash (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Adobe-Flash-Pro-CS5-Windows-/257301045?gpid=68416460701&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CIC95f7328YCFUhgfgodonIAuQ) apps sometime; you'll be appalled.

Damn, Carl.

I thought you'd catch the irony of my post...

Think contrary...

NM5TF
07-14-2015, 11:48 PM
FF 39 gives you option to enable Flash via a pop up menu....

NQ6U
07-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Damn, Carl.

I thought you'd catch the irony of my post...

Think contrary...

Oh, sorry—too subtle for my truck driver brain. Carry on.

suddenseer
07-18-2015, 05:30 AM
I have always used shockwave flash on FF. I have yet to see any issues.

n2ize
07-18-2015, 10:28 PM
It seems like the problems been fixed. I updated to the latest flash plugin and it's now coming up on Firefox with no security warnings. I guess Firefox is satisfied that the latest update is secure.

kb2vxa
07-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Ah, you noticed. I first noticed the issue when the NWS radar image failed to load and the message pointed to Flash, then I found Fartfox disabled it. After a bit of hunting and pecking around I found what you did, updated Flash, problem solved. Funny how I just quietly went about it before Chicken Little started this thread. (;->) Yes my dear, Flash is still a viable entity (from the dark side) and if it's good for General Bullmoose it's good for the USA, HEY! Sorry Lil' Abner, I just couldn't resist.