PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to the Traditional Landrover

HUGH
06-28-2015, 02:42 PM
The original Landrover went into production by 1948, the early models being relatively uncomfortable, having poor brakes, hard suspension, heavy steering, but proved itself by sheer durability.

The bodywork was hand assembled making it ideal for modification and repair, very popular with farmers, dents and bumps could mostly be straightened by the owners.
Since then, the entire has been much improved and is found for rough duty around the world and is still popular for the original reasons such that the 2-millionth has come off the production line with much celebration. A life-size cake was baked and iced:

This is the latest defender 110 series:

And this is one famous user since she was young:

You'll have all manner of 4x4 vehicles in the US of course ever since the Willys' jeep so, unless you've had one of these, it might be of less interest. It's being replaced by someting I can only describe as "much more poncey".

NQ6U
06-28-2015, 02:54 PM
We've only been getting the "poncey" Land Rovers here for some time now. They're way expensive, parts are hard to get (and way expensive) so most people opt for a Toyota or a Jeep.

KG4NEL
06-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Since then, the entire has been much improved

They only rust in a month instead of a week?

I file Defenders in the same category as Audis or a wooden boat. I love the looks and engineering behind them, but I'd never, ever own one.

KG4CGC
06-28-2015, 09:11 PM
We've only been getting the "poncey" Land Rovers here for some time now. They're way expensive, parts are hard to get (and way expensive) so most people opt for a Toyota or a Jeep.

And they're usually pulled out of puddles and ditches by Toyotas and Jeeps.

kb2vxa
06-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Poncy, we have the Hummer and if it runs on green biodiesel the one driving it is Ahnold Schwartzenponce.

KA9MOT
06-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I remember back in the 1980s the Discovery (Disco) conquered the South American Continent. Literally, they started at the top, and drove to the bottom. Most of it off road. It was an amazing feat. Sadly, they have earned a bad reputation for poor dependability.

I prefer a truck based SUV. Ford, Dodge or Chevy are the main choices, but my blood runs Ford Blue. And that is why I have an Expedition.

KG4NEL
06-29-2015, 06:39 PM
I remember back in the 1980s the Discovery (Disco) conquered the South American Continent. Literally, they started at the top, and drove to the bottom. Most of it off road. It was an amazing feat. Sadly, they have earned a bad reputation for poor dependability.

I prefer a truck based SUV. Ford, Dodge or Chevy are the main choices, but my blood runs Ford Blue. And that is why I have an Expedition.

A 4x4 pickup and a bed cap is the perfect mix of off-road ability and storage for me. I've never gotten into a situation where I truly needed locking diffs or a crazy breakover angle to get me out, but I'm not doing any serious crawling, either.

K4PIH
07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Land Rovers now are parts vacums. Friend of mine bought one to show off his wealth, which has taken a serious hit due to issues with build quality.

KA9MOT
07-01-2015, 08:32 AM
A 4x4 pickup and a bed cap is the perfect mix of off-road ability and storage for me. I've never gotten into a situation where I truly needed locking diffs or a crazy breakover angle to get me out, but I'm not doing any serious crawling, either.

Other than occasional trail rides, and every mud hole I see, I don't do much off roading anymore.
I did however start adding off road lights. So far I've added a Bull Bar and 20 inch LED off road lightbar. I've got a 50 inch LED off road lightbar for the roof above the windshield, I plan to mount if I can figure out how to get the F-250 brackets modified to fit my Expedition correctly. I just can't get the angles right.

I don't really plan to use them off road but I can think of numerous reasons to use them.
You can't have too much light and these are some bright sum bitches. :lol:

WØTKX
07-01-2015, 09:09 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1602090!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/mercedes.jpg

ka4dpo
07-01-2015, 11:48 AM
I had a rover when I was in Africa. When I first go there I had a Toyota Land Cruiser, it was fantastic but my driver Mokallah, forgot to unlock the front hubs and burned out the front transfer case. The company sent me a 64 Rover that they had sitting in the equipment yard in Lagos. It had a small 4 cylinder 50 HP diesel engine and was unstoppable. It never failed to start and run in two years of hard use and it was like a mountain goat when it came to off road and foot trails. I wish I had one now (you can still buy them) but I don't have the room. Anyway they were nothing like the yuppie mobiles they are now and the new ones break down if you stare at them the wrong way.