PDA

View Full Version : What is Poison Ivy ?

n2ize
06-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Anyone here ever had poison ivy ? Does it start out as very small red bumps on the skin that itch and spread ? I was upstate this past Sunday flying my rc helicopter at my brothers place and I might have contacted poison ivy up there. Lots of all different kinds of plants up there at this time of year. In any event I am going to check with my doctor just to make sure. If it is poiuson ivy then I now have yet another reason to hate summer. ;)

NQ6U
06-26-2015, 10:54 AM
http://www.poison-ivy.org/

KG4NEL
06-26-2015, 11:02 AM
How is that rock you've been under?

NQ6U
06-26-2015, 11:15 AM
How is that rock you've been under?

Itchy, it seems.

K4PIH
06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Quick test. Are you itching and scratching to the pointyou have drawn blood? Was it actually painfull or just itchy? It's been the better part of a week is it still bothering you? If you can answer yes to these then you might have poison ivy.

Rule of thumb: Leaves of three, let it be. Not all poison ivy has three leaves but the majority do. It can be a little bush or a wandering vine. Good luck

Some people are more susceptible than others, andsome like me are immune.

NQ6U
06-26-2015, 12:24 PM
For some people, repeated exposure to the toxic oil can remove the immunity over time. Ask me how I know about this.

We don't have poison ivy out here, only poison oak, but the difference is academic. It's pretty much the same thing when you get it on you.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/poison_plants_slideshow/princ_rm_photo_of_poison_ivy_oak_and_sumac.jpg

N8YX
06-26-2015, 12:26 PM
This chick:

Yeah, I'd do 'er...after I dunked her in a vat of calamine lotion.

NQ6U
06-26-2015, 12:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfRITVdz4k

K4PIH
06-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Yep the three to avoid. Growing up in LA (Lower Alabama aka Florida Panhandle) I never remember getting any of those as a kid. I went to college and got my Civil Engineering license in the state and never had a problem with any. When we had to cut through a thicket and this stuff was around, I always took the lead and hacked through so the others wouldn't get et up! Maybe they wanted me to flush out the gators?

For some people, repeated exposure to the toxic oil can remove the immunity over time. Ask me how I know about this.

We don't have poison ivy out here, only poison oak, but the difference is academic. It's pretty much the same thing when you get it on you.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/poison_plants_slideshow/princ_rm_photo_of_poison_ivy_oak_and_sumac.jpg

K4PIH
06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Now that's Poison Ivy I wouldn't mind getting next to!

This chick:

K0RGR
06-26-2015, 12:56 PM
One of my brothers was deathly allergic to poison oak, but I seem to be nearly immune. I went camping once and woke up to find we'd pitched camp in a bunch of it. The most toxic thing was when some fool would burn it - making the toxins airborne and usually sending people to the hospital.

Have both the poison ivy and the poison sumac here, and something worse - wild parsnip. The parsnip looks like a harmless weed, and little kids like to play with their pretty little flowers, but it is very toxic, and in a sneaky way. If you get wild parsnip on you, and the affected area is exposed to the sun, painful sunburn will occur almost immediately.

Just something else to watch for when you're avoiding deer ticks and various disease carrying mosquitoes.

KG4NEL
06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
This chick:

I preferred Alyssa Milano.

Have had all three...

n2ize
06-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Quick test. Are you itching and scratching to the pointyou have drawn blood? Was it actually painfull or just itchy? It's been the better part of a week is it still bothering you? If you can answer yes to these then you might have poison ivy.

Rule of thumb: Leaves of three, let it be. Not all poison ivy has three leaves but the majority do. It can be a little bush or a wandering vine. Good luck

Some people are more susceptible than others, andsome like me are immune.

My answer is yes to all the above. At first the rash started as little colorless bumps but now they are red and some are broken open. As a teenager I has poison ivy and now it looks and feels like what I remember. I have been taking Benadryl so the itching is not so bad now. And I now think I know where I got it. At the front of the house there is a slope with a patch of weeds. I often stop to rest there and look at the sky. I noticed a small plant with notched triplets of leaves right there. That might be the evil weed.

NA4BH
06-26-2015, 07:38 PM
The way to prevent it spreading is to pop the bumps and rub the liquid in the palms of your hands. Then rub the liquid all over your body, with special emphasis to the genital area. Don't want no bugs down there.

n2ize
06-26-2015, 07:56 PM
The way to prevent it spreading is to pop the bumps and rub the liquid in the palms of your hands. Then rub the liquid all over your body, with special emphasis to the genital area.

If I did that and if it spread to that area I doubt anyone would ever notice it. Matter of fact I probably wouldn't notice it myself.... LOL...

Don't want no bugs down there.

All kidding aside the stuff that oozes out of the small bumps is not contagious and will not spread the crap. It's the urushoil from thhe plant that causes all the shit to happen.

NA4BH
06-26-2015, 08:00 PM
The problem is if they have animals that run through the stuff and come to you for petting.

KG4CGC
06-26-2015, 08:01 PM
You get more sensitive to it as you get exposed to it over the years.
It starts as little red bumps but it will itch. You may scratch it at first not realizing what you are doing.
Use a detergent dishwashing liquid like Dawn to was it off at least three times a day until it is gone. Do this NOW before it get everywhere. It will stop the spread. It is an oil so it won't clear up quickly. It will have to run it's course.
If you go to a doctor, depending on that doctor's opinion on cortisone, you may be prescribe a topical cortisone ointment at a prescription stregnth, cortisone shots and depending how bad it is, antibiotics.
Seriously, unless you want that stuff all over your junk and butthole, I suggest you wash it now with detergent. Take your time doing it too. Then take a shower with the detergent. Clean up under your fingernails.
I'm not joking.

n2ize
06-26-2015, 08:03 PM
The problem is if they have animals that run through the stuff and come to you for petting.

That could be it too. When I was up at my brothers place the new (and very cute) puppy was jumping all over me and licking my arms. So that may be a possibility. I doubt it was either of my cats because they don't go outside.

NA4BH
06-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't the "butthole" be all inclusive in the "junk" package?

n2ize
06-26-2015, 08:07 PM
It starts as little red bumps but it will itch. You may scratch it at first not realizing what you are doing.
Use a detergent dishwashing liquid like Dawn to was it off at least three times a day until it is gone. Do this NOW before it get everywhere. It will stop the spread. It is an oil so it won't clear up quickly. It will have to run it's course.
If you go to a doctor, depending on that doctor's opinion on cortisone, you may be prescribe a topical cortisone ointment at a prescription stregnth, cortisone shots and depending how bad it is, antibiotics.
Seriously, unless you want that stuff all over your junk and butthole, I suggest you wash it now with detergent. Take your time doing it too. Then take a shower with the detergent. Clean up under your fingernails.
I'm not joking.

I will take your advice. I remember having it as a teenager and I remember how far and fast it would spread and how long it would last (other the entire summer season). I know what you mean, poison ivy is one nasty helluva bitch and it takes meticulous cleaning and resisting the urge to scratch. So far I find hot water and Benedryl helps with the itch. However, if it seems to get worst I will call my Doc for advice. So far it's holding it's own.

n2ize
06-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Hmmmm.... That depends... :snicker:

NA4BH
06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Being serious, like Charles said, use a strong detergent like Dawn to wash the area. Mix rubbing alcohol and baking soda into a paste and "cake" on the areas and let dry. This will help absorb/remove any of the oil that has remained on the skin. Wash it off after it dries.

KG4CGC
06-26-2015, 08:30 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/2hkg2e/after_having_sex_with_my_boyfriend_my_butt_area/

Prolly NSFW
(https://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/2hkg2e/after_having_sex_with_my_boyfriend_my_butt_area/)

NA4BH
06-26-2015, 08:35 PM
I rest my case, Your Honor.

KG4CGC
06-26-2015, 08:38 PM
I rest my case, Your Honor.

Junk does not cover the butthole unless it is a rear facing view so the answer is ... both.
Silence. I HAVE RULED!

n2ize
06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Being serious, like Charles said, use a strong detergent like Dawn to wash the area. Mix rubbing alcohol and baking soda into a paste and "cake" on the areas and let dry. This will help absorb/remove any of the oil that has remained on the skin. Wash it off after it dries.

Thanks. Sounds good and I'll do it. Yes, the whole trick is to wash away and oil and keep it from spreading. I read that even articles of clothing can spread the oil so I will take care to wash pants, shirts, socks and any articles that may contain the oil.

n2ize
06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/2hkg2e/after_having_sex_with_my_boyfriend_my_butt_area/

Prolly NSFW
(https://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/2hkg2e/after_having_sex_with_my_boyfriend_my_butt_area/)

Okay... I read the first few lines and the quickly closed the tab. Yuck...

kb2vxa
06-27-2015, 10:40 PM
You're telling ME yuck? Then there's poison ivy yuck, my girlfriend had it on back, I had it on front. Another time with another girlfriend we discovered blood and tiny black specks on our bodies and in our clothes when we got home. The next day we were covered with itchy bumps. OK Sherlock, you have two mysteries to solve. How did we get those messes on us?

KG4CGC
06-27-2015, 11:15 PM
CHIGGERS!

kb2vxa
06-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Watch yourself, pronunciation can easily be misunderstood!

KG4CGC
06-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Watch yourself, pronunciation can easily be misunderstood!

I'm putting you on notice.

koØm
06-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I'm not joking.

Earlier in life, while in the Scouts, I found out that (darker complexioned) I was less susceptible to Poison Ivy than most, I won a number of bets and I know a lot of guys who will think again before accepting a "Dare" after seeing me fondle Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac leaves.

Wouldn't try that stuff at my age now.

NQ6U
06-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm putting you on notice.

They prefer Arachnid Americans.