PDA

View Full Version : I Never Thought I'd Hear THIS...

W3WN
06-16-2015, 09:27 PM
So, LMFD was at her next-to-last dance recital tonight. Her last is tomorrow night (usually, both of her classes are on the same night, but this year, no such luck)

Sitting in the audience, patiently waiting (ie, bored) since her dance is #38... of 38.

#3 is the Ladies (30's & up) Tap Dance class. The number is titled in the program "On Broadway", so I'm figuring it's going to be the same old music... usually from "42nd Street," sometimes from "A Chorus Line." (After 10 years, you get to know the pattern)

The first few notes hit... and it's all I can do to keep from laughing out loud. (The Boss almost kicked me to keep quiet. Of course, she had a big grin on her face too.) Of course I recognize it...

It's the opening bars to... "Springtime for Hitler". Which then seamlessly flows into "Prisoners of Love," followed by "(I Want To Be A) Broadway Producer."

You have to understand... Miss Eileen, who runs this dancing school, is 73, she's been running it for 48 years. To say that she's set in her ways is an understatement. Some of the music changes every year, usually something topical... "Frozen" worked in last year, for example. All the numbers for the little kids, you pretty much know by heart -- and the ones you didn't hear this year were probably in the other show (they split it into 2 shows to cover all the classes, and yes, she has that many classes, and some good teachers as well)

But... Mel Brooks? "The Producers?" I was waiting for "Men in Tights" or "I'm Tired" to close out the number, but no, they went back to "Springtime for Hitler" to close it.

I'm laughing so hard, and had to keep my voice down, less someone think I was laughing at the dancers -- not the choice in music.

Meanwhile, backstage, not only is LMFD in total shock at first, but it's all she can do to keep from singing along... because how do you explain to an 8 year old that even though it sounds like you're singing the praises Hitler, the song is actually satire?

Made my night. Well, almost as much as seeing LMFD acknowledged as a graduating senior.

KG4NEL
06-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks!

W3WN
06-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks!My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

WØTKX
06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Ohhh, Crap! High Anxiety!

:rofl:

W3WN
06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
And no, they did not perform The French Mistake, sadly enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

KG4NEL
06-17-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm fairly sure that somewhere in a corner of my mind, Blazing Saddles remains on repeat.

Along with Dr. Strangelove.

It might explain a lot. :yum:

W3WN
06-17-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm fairly sure that somewhere in a corner of my mind, Blazing Saddles remains on repeat.

Along with Dr. Strangelove.

It might explain a lot. :yum:Yes, it does.

Blazing Saddles.
Young Frankenstein.
Spaceballs.
Robin Hood: Men In Tights.
History of the World Part I.
And all three versions of The Producers (the original film, the Broadway musical, and the film based on the Broadway musical).

Pity those who have gone without.

KG4CGC
06-17-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm laughing (not out loud, might later).

KJ3N
06-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks!

NOT IN THE FACE!!!

*whump*

Thank you.....