PDA

View Full Version : First Gig

W3WN
06-15-2015, 08:07 AM
LMFD didn't waste much time. Graduated on Thursday, this morning she's at her first post-high school job.

Not much of one, but it's a start...

There's a cable network series that's been filming in the area for a few weeks, and this morning, they needed a bunch of extras dressed as "college students".

She had to be at the parking area by 7 AM (they're being bused to wherever it is the filming is taking place). Of course, this meant I had to drive her. And since we allowed extra time for traffic (there was some) weather (we had some) and finding the actual parking lot (pulled in the wrong one first, weren't the only ones, the signs were messed up), that meant I left almost an hour early. No morning coffee, no morning newspaper. Blecdh.

Fortunately, the parking area is the old Civic Arena parking lot, and it was only a 15 minute walk from there to work. Or course, I also got to work almost an hour early... and no coffee yet either. *sigh*

The things you do for your kids...

Don't know if she'll have any stories to tell. They had all sorts of warnings... don't talk to the actors, no pictures, no selfies, nothing on social media or they'll sue... you know the usual empty threats.

KG4NEL
06-15-2015, 08:19 AM
No college students taking selfies? Entirely unrealistic. :mrgreen:

W3WN
06-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I know. But that's what they said.

Here's how seriously LMFD is taking this. The email told her what to wear, and to bring 2 or 3 changes of clothes (for different scenes, obviously); no red, no orange.

So it's poring rain right before we leave, and I tell her to take the spare umbrella. She's fine with this, until she sees it -- it's from Traveler's Insurance. It's red.

She'd rather get wet than bring something red and get told to go home.

KG4NEL
06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Ready for the first IMDB credit, for sure.

W3WN
06-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Ready for the first IMDB credit, for sure.Actually, this would (technically) be her second movie.

There was a religious-themed movie made locally a few years back, C Me Dance (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314645/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). If you're wondering if it was bad... don't wonder, it was terrible... but that's not the point. LMFD had two unpaid "extra" roles in it. One, she was part of the "congregation" in the church scene... although all you can see is the top of her head. The other was cut from the final print. The final scene shows the protagonist dancing for her mother... originally she was surrounded by angels in white, watching, and LMFD was one of them. While shooting, the director decided to try a few scenes of the dancer without the, ah, audience... and that's the cut that made the print. (I got to take witness that bit of shooting, the Boss was with LMFD for the other scene -- and she is a bit more visible. But I digress)

The night of the premiere, most of the audience consisted of the kids who'd played the extras, and their parents. There were more than a few kids disappointed that their big premiere as an angel ended up on the cutting room floor... that's showbiz!

K0RGR
06-15-2015, 03:39 PM
It sounds like she's well on her way to becoming a thespian.

NQ6U
06-15-2015, 04:00 PM
It sounds like she's well on her way to becoming a thespian.

No, she prefers men.

NY4Q
06-15-2015, 04:17 PM
No college students taking selfies? Entirely unrealistic. :mrgreen:

I think the college kids have all left SpaceBook. From what my darling wife shows me, now its the 40 & 50 somthings that are selfie'n folks to death.

NY4Q
06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
The things you do for your kids...

I feel your pain, but good for you!

n2ize
06-16-2015, 12:36 AM
LMFD certainly keeps you busy :)

KG4NEL
06-16-2015, 07:35 AM
I think the college kids have all left SpaceBook. From what my darling wife shows me, now its the 40 & 50 somthings that are selfie'n folks to death.

They're still on there, but Snapchat handles a lot more of the drunk party pics that FB used to work for.

Oops, sorry for mentioning that, Ron. na na na na na na na I know nussing

W3WN
06-16-2015, 07:53 AM
She got home a little after 6. Tired, but she had a great time.

Now, the "backgrounds" were supposed to be college-age kids. She says that she was the only one there under 20; the rest of the extras were almost all in their late 20's, 30's, and older. (From the sounds of it, I think one of the older guys was asking her out for a drink -- but she's still underage, and isn't interested in booze, either. Shocking, I know.)

She even got to chat with one of the main actors. When she started telling us about this, I said "Wait, I thought they told you ahead of time you weren't supposed to talk to the 'talent'?" But, she said, this guy walked over and started chatting with them, so it's all OK.

At the end of the day, she was also told something to the effect that they hope she'll come back the next time they need 'background'. That's a given.

WØTKX
06-16-2015, 07:58 AM
I hope "the talent" notices her for all the right reasons, and stays in touch. Network, network, network. It works, eh?