PDA

View Full Version : Zippo's Lifetime Guarantee

n2ize
06-13-2015, 03:53 PM
I have an old vintage Zippo wick type lighter from the late 1940's. Unfortunately it was falling into a state of disrepair. The flint wheel would no longer turn and the case had a very loose hinge which was about to go. So I remembered Zippo guarantees all of its lighters for life. So, I sent it off to Zippo with an explanation. Yesterday I got a package from Zippo. What a nice repair job they did. First they fixed the hinge so it opens and closes up fine now. They also buffed and polished the case. They also fixed the flint wheel and they replaced the wick and packing. In addition they also sent me a brand new insert and a package of flints. They even packed the old lighter in a brand new gift box. In other words they went beyond just fixing the lighter and included replacement parts, replacement insert, cleaning, polishing... It's great to do business with a company that stands by its product and is willing to go out of its way to assure complete customer satisfaction. I wish more companies would take Zippo as a role model and offer that kind of customer support. Rest assured I will definately buy their products in the future should the need arise.

K7SGJ
06-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I always had Zippos just for that reason. I have had two that I sent back to the factory. One has a special emblem on it, and they restored them both like new. They are indeed a fine company.

KG4CGC
06-14-2015, 12:14 AM
That's a real swell thing to hear about an American (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippo) company. Real sturdy stuff.

PA5COR
06-14-2015, 02:11 AM
Still have 2 Zippo's here as well, though I'm using butane lighters now.

n0iu
06-14-2015, 07:50 AM
I have had a few Zippos back in the day. Fine products indeed! Sorta makes me wish I hadn't quit smoking 15 years ago. Actually, I didn't quit because I am NOT a quitter! What I did was make a personal decision to stop smoking.

n2ize
06-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Still have 2 Zippo's here as well, though I'm using butane lighters now.

Yeah, in many ways the butane's are more practical. I have 3 refillable butane jet-flame type lighters. Two of them are single jet types and the other is a triple jet lighter. All three give off a hot clean blue jet flame. I have used them for soldering and other jobs where a small high heat source is needed. The jet-flame types are very good in wind, perhaps even better than the Zippo windproofs. The only drawback to the jet-flames is that under bright daylight conditions the flame is invisible. The jet-flame lighters are also better for lighting pipes and cigars. Especially pipes because you can shoot the flame straight down into the tobacco.

But the Zippo's are still classics. I always try and keep at least one working vintage Zippo fueled and ready. Plus, I love that smell of naphtha... LOL. And as a company I like the fact that Zippo stands by its product and makes customer satisfaction a top priority and still makes their products right here in the USA. Noot that there is anything wrong with products made overseas. But these days its so rare to see a company that started in America still making their products in America.

n2ize
06-14-2015, 12:29 PM
I have had a few Zippos back in the day. Fine products indeed! Sorta makes me wish I hadn't quit smoking 15 years ago. Actually, I didn't quit because I am NOT a quitter! What I did was make a personal decision to stop smoking.

I very rarely smoke. I mostly use my lighters for things other than smoking. Basically I use them for any application that requires ignition or a heat source.

K7SGJ
06-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Zippo lighters were very popular during war years. Not only for the obvious, but they became a foundation for "trench art". I've seen a lot of it in museums and stores that specialize in militaria.

Some of it is here. http://zippogallery.com/WWII.htm

KG4CGC
06-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Zippo lighters were very popular during war years. Not only for the obvious, but they became a foundation for "trench art". I've seen a lot of it in museums and stores that specialize in militaria.

That's a real fine link right there, Rat. Your link and John starting this thread has really enhanced my evening.

K7SGJ
06-14-2015, 10:30 PM
It does beat the shit outa politics, huh?

KG4CGC
06-14-2015, 10:54 PM
It does beat the shit outa politics, huh?

I like to beat the shit out of politics.

W3WN
06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Former ARRL Atlantic Division Director Bill Edgar N3LLR just retired, last year, from Zippo.

(I know he was in Management, but I don't know exactly what he did there)

K7SGJ
06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Former ARRL Atlantic Division Director Bill Edgar N3LLR just retired, last year, from Zippo.

(I know he was in Management, but I don't know exactly what he did there)

Probably striking up conversations, and putting a fire under the slow producers.

ka4dpo
06-15-2015, 01:20 PM
I have a really old Zippo around here somewhere, I got it from my gramps and he got it sometime in the late 1930's. You can tell it's old because it has the very rounded top. As far as I know it still works fine, I never used it much, and I have not seen it since I quit smoking so it's been MIA for at least 12 years. I know I still have it and if I find it I'm putting it in my office where I can see it.

n2ize
06-16-2015, 12:14 AM

As they say, "Zippo helped us win the war". I read somewhere that during the WW2 years Zippo only made lighters for the military and not for civilian use. I also noticed that the Zippo was quite ppopular among the Vietnam vets from some of the images on that site.

BTW I recently ordered a Zippo catalytic hand/pocket warmer. Got it in the mail today and decided to test it. Yeah... I know... this is not the time of the year for using heating devices. But I was anxious to test it and have it ready for next winter. It is basically the same as the old 1950's/60's Jon-E type warmers except the Zippo stays lit and gives off less odor. Much less problematic than the old Jon-E's. I still have an old Jon-E that I'll keep as a vintage nostalgic item but I'll be using the Zippo warmer come the wintertime.

n2ize
06-16-2015, 12:15 AM
That's a real fine link right there, Rat. Your link and John starting this thread has really enhanced my evening.

See... for the first time on this forum I finally did something nice ;)