PDA

View Full Version : LEDs throughout the house

X-Rated
06-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Anybody else have LED's throughout their home without any incandescent or cfl bulbs or tubes?

WØTKX
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Not yet, I'm doing it slowly as the prices drop. Started with the outside floodlights, now I'm replacing the CFL's, as they are the most frequently used. The newer LED's have got a nice mellow natural color, the harsh blue white spectrum sucks. There are quite a variety of shapes now, and dimmable is definitely an option. Colors too.

X-Rated
06-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes, they developed a great blue LED that mixes well with the red and green to get many different shades of white in the RGB spectrum possibilities. We have many different tones. One is that recessed lighting in my son's room. The room looks like it should be baking you out, but the bulbs are very cool as you can remove them and they are just warm to the touch. Some have a massive heatsink so they can regulate down to one high powered LED, but the efficient ones are the ones with several LED's that are in series to drop the voltage without so much regulation.

I bought a lot from the local Menards on the clearance racks. Several were like $10 for a 4 pack. Since I collected a few, prices went up. I hope they go down again. But everything we run during the day or night is LED now. The color is just like incandescent now on several versions. None flicker. They are all regulated to DC running the light. Sure keeps the house cooler in the summer.

NQ6U
06-03-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm in the process of switching over. I already replaced the CFLs out in my work area with LEDs, as well as the incandescent bulbs in the ceiling fan over the dining table. The fan lights are on pretty much 16 hours a day when we're home, so the savings should add up relatively quickly. Also, because of the design of the fan, they're a PITA to replace so the longer life (10 year guarantee) alone is reason enough to make the switch.

X-Rated
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm in the process of switching over. I already replaced the CFLs out in my work area with LEDs, as well as the incandescent bulbs in the ceiling fan over the dining table. The fan lights are on pretty much 16 hours a day when we're home, so the savings should add up relatively quickly. Also, because of the design of the fan, they're a PITA to replace so the longer life (10 year guarantee) alone is reason enough to make the switch.

Don't buy Polaroid brand pieces of crap. They barely last a year.

NQ6U
06-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Don't buy Polaroid brand pieces of crap. They barely last a year.

Roger, wilco. Been using Cree, they have a pretty good rep as far as I can tell.

PA5COR
06-04-2015, 05:01 AM
Just replaced the last PL lamps for LED ones this week.
;)

KK4AMI
06-04-2015, 06:45 AM
I have LED in all my table lights and even my Xmas lights. My new house has fluorescent indirect lighting in every room. It uses the 4 foot tubes that I hear are going out of production this July. I hear they have an LED replacement for those 4 ft tubes.

NQ6U
06-04-2015, 09:06 AM
One odd thing I've noticed about LEDs is that they don't make low-wattage equivalent replacement bulbs. We have 15W bulbs in our beside lamps but there is no LED replacement for those as far as I can tell. I suppose that's because the economics of LEDs works out better replacing higher-wattage bulbs but it still seems weird to have the equivalent of 120W of incandescent light using the same amount of power as the 15W bulbs by the bed.

ka4dpo
06-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Been doing it for about a year and have all LED's now except in the three way lamps and the garage where I still have the big fluorescent tube lights. I don't think I'll be changing them out any time soon.
There are some really cheap sources for LED lights in China, you can get ten to twenty watt bulbs for as little as $5.00 each. I even got a bunch of 12 volt LED's with drivers and heat sinks to use with the emergency power system in the shack.

Here are some low wattage Chinese LED bulbs that operate on 110V. http://www.miniinthebox.com/e27-2w-110-130lm-24x3528smd-6000-6500k-white-light-led-candle-bulb-85-265v_p620751.html

N8XE
06-05-2015, 02:03 PM
We bought our first set of LEDs for the dining room. I like them. You can use these on a dimmer which is nice. I hope to eventually replace all of the lights with them.

One thing LED lights will not be good at... lighting up lava lamps :)

jason N8XE

WØTKX
06-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Nope. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2PIi0X_mS0

N8XE
06-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Nope. :mrgreen:

Can't watch the video here at work... does the LED lamp get hot enough or is there a heater in it?

I miss my lava lamps !!!

jason N8XE

K0RGR
06-05-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to replace the CFL's here with them, when the wife doesn't catch me. She thinks the LEDs are just too expensive.

I've had two of them going in the living room on a dimmer for quite a while. They replaced two earlier LEDs that just didn't put out near the light I expected. These new ones are brighter than the incandescent floods we had there years ago. The flourescent light in the kitchen crapped out some time ago, and it appears to be the ballast. I decided to try the drop in LED replacements, and they are terrific. I didn't have to remove the old ballasts, and it doesn't seem to matter. Now, the kitchen light comes on instantly when I flip the switch and they are very bright.

N2CHX
06-05-2015, 03:22 PM
We have three LED bulbs installed so far, and the CFL's are being replaced with LED as they burn out. Haven't had one go in a while now.

WØTKX
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Can't watch the video here at work... does the LED lamp get hot enough or is there a heater in it?

I miss my lava lamps !!!

jason N8XE

Yes, there is a heater. The LED's change colors too. Trippy!

N8XE
06-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Yes, there is a heater. The LED's change colors too. Trippy!

Just watched the video here at home. Very cool!

Jason

n2ize
06-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Anybody else have LED's throughout their home without any incandescent or cfl bulbs or tubes?

Nope. Still use incandescent lamps in areas like dining rooms, living rooms, some hallways, etc. I even have an carbon filament incandescent in a desk lamp. Othweeise I use mostly flourescent types, either CFL, or the older circline and/or straight tube types. Outdoors I use mercury vapor or metal halide. Only LED's I use are my music light and my flashlights. Heck, during power outages I even use kerosene lamps.

WØTKX
06-06-2015, 12:15 PM
http://digital.hammacher.com/Items/86872/86872_1000x1000.jpg

http://www.theunknownbutnothidden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/0411.jpg

K7SGJ
06-06-2015, 12:32 PM
We have pretty much replaced all of the indoor lighting with LEDs. All of the recessed lights, table lamps, and under the counter units. Even in the garage, I put in two 4 foot LED fixtures. I really like them. The only problem I've had is shortly after installation, a couple of the recessed LEDs and one of the 4 footers in the garage developed a problem where after a short warm-up, they would constantly flash from about half brightness to full. I exchanged them, and haven't had any further problem. All of the LEDs are on dimmers except for the garage. The ones in the garage were higher than giraffe nuts, but I'm sure the prices will continue to drop as they become more popular and more people accept them. Like Carl, the only ones I haven't been able to do are the 15 watt lamps in the hallway. They are on motion detect sensors, so they aren't on much anyway, and CFLs do just fine in there.

N2CHX
06-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I never understood the whole fight against the "tyranny" to phase out incandescent bulbs. They were the shit in 1885. Not so much in 2015.

I can think of maybe a few applications (like a stove lamp where the temp is really high) where they might still be useful, but CFL's were much better and who didn't see LED's coming as a replacement for CFL's even? Shit, I was replacing lamps in things like consoles and cart machines with LED retrofits back in the early 90's. That was over 20 years ago. Sure did cut down on 3 AM phone calls because "The START light on Cart 3 is burned out!"

KG4NEL
06-06-2015, 02:09 PM
I never understood the whole fight against the "tyranny" to phase out incandescent bulbs. They were the shit in 1885. Not so much in 2015.

I can think of maybe a few applications (like a stove lamp where the temp is really high) where they might still be useful, but CFL's were much better and who didn't see LED's coming as a replacement for CFL's even? Shit, I was replacing lamps in things like consoles and cart machines with LED retrofits back in the early 90's. That was over 20 years ago. Sure did cut down on 3 AM phone calls because "The START light on Cart 3 is burned out!"

CFLs always seemed like a temporary fix until LEDs came down in price.

Personally, between CFLs and incans I'll take the latter.

KG4CGC
06-06-2015, 02:14 PM
I prefer CFLs. You can get them in any spectrum you want and they run cooler. Not to mention the fact that they produce lumens equivalent for 23% of the wattage.
Been looking at LEDs pretty closely. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

As for people getting upset over the changeover mandate, they also vote for the guy that says rape is OK.

ETA: I should have specified, K temp spectrum.

HUGH
06-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Been away for a while and just spotted this thread.

I'm surprised no-one has commented on EMC problems with these LED lamps, there are some horrendous ones on sale this side of the pond, I bought one to operate a surface mount 12W LED and it's unusable, perfect for jamming all HF bands.

Currently I have installed various lengths of 12V LED self-adhesive strips for cupboards and kitchen surface lighting, all off a small 12V linear PSU and it's useful to just wire these with a small twin flex and microswitches on each door. other than that it's mostly CFLs here. they last well.

Incandescent lamps are still useful for outdoors when it's cold and they're only on for brief periods.

WØTKX
06-06-2015, 02:20 PM
I've had a few CFL's like that, and took them back. Told them they caused interference on my favorite AM radio station, known for broadcasting all the local sports and such. This has happened only three times, and even if the equivalent replacement was a bit more at retail $, it's been no problem, no extra money. This has not happened in about 4-5 years.

Hey, 160 meters is close enough, eh? ;)

n2ize
06-07-2015, 03:20 AM

Lighting sets moods. The mood of candlelit and oil lamps is different than the mood of incandescence. The mood of incandescence is different than the mood of CFL florescence or tubular fluorescence. The mood set by "cool" white fluorescent is different than the mood set by higher temp "Daylight" fluorescent which has a bluish white glow. Light temperature has played a big role in art, mood, romance, feelings, etc. over the years. For example sitting in a restaurant lit by candeel or oil lamp is considered by many to be more relaxing and romantic than cool white fluorescent. So yeah, for many purposes LED's lightting is the way to go as far as being practical and the high tech way to go. On the other hand, incandescent, oil, candle or firelight may be the more soothing and romantic in other circumstances. There are moments in kife when "Old is Better Than New".

NQ6U
06-07-2015, 07:09 AM
John, I doubt you could tell that the light I'm using as I type this was coming from LEDs if I didn't point it out to you. LED technology allows the manufacturers to produce bulbs of any color temperature they choose and the light from these is indistinguishable from the that of the incandescent bulbs they replaced.

WØTKX
06-07-2015, 08:02 AM
http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/28461441108567p?$478$

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/142737-candle-impressions-7-inch-mirage-led-wax-pillar-candle-timer.html

N8YX
06-07-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't have any in the household fixtures (yet) but every incandescent bulb in my gear which can be converted to an LED will be replaced with them as they burn out. Exceptions being those circuits which rely on heat from a pilot lamp for thermal stabilization.

Where the motorcycles are concerned...alternator power is at a premium and the more efficient the bike's lighting circuits are, the more juice can be used for electrical accessories. I recently put an LED headlight element in one of my Valkyries to combat the piss-poor - bordering on dangerous - after-dark performance of its 55/60w OEM halogen bulb. The unit is a 5000k setup and I would prefer 3500k...maybe 4300k. The light from the LED doesn't "pool" as effectively as light from the OEM halogen bulb; rather, the entire road surface is lit. It does, however, illuminate distant road signs far better than its predecessor - particularly when high beam is selected.

There are a pair of incandescent 35w spotlights flanking the main light and I'm tempted to convert those to LED as well. Best operational mode seems to be with the headlight on low beam and the spots activated - the color difference is pronounced. Nobody flashed me during a test ride so the aim appears proper...a true "plug and play" installation. I'm going to see about finding a 3500k Cree element and swapping the 5000k out. The reflector assembly might like the longer wavelength a bit better.

K4PIH
06-07-2015, 11:08 AM
I have incandescent in places like the basement storage area that get used may 30 minutes every few months when I'm digging for something or adding to the pile. Other than that it's about 50/50 CFL and LED. Making the switch little by little to all LED. Also putting in emergency lighting throughout the house. 12v LED system powered by rechargable storage batteries in the basement. The 12v will light the house and run the ham gear, plus I have a 6k generator for the big stuff like fridges. So far I've had good luck with the Cree LED's.

KG4NEL
06-07-2015, 12:37 PM
As for people getting upset over the changeover mandate, they also vote for the guy that says rape is OK.

I don't know about getting upset, but it does sort of irk me. If the price differential to get to LEDs was less, it'd be less irksome.

It's sort of like saying that you can't buy a vehicle that gets under a certain MPG, but the replacement is $10K more.

n2ize
06-07-2015, 04:26 PM
A lot of conservatives have argued that they are banning incandescents. They are wrong. For those that prefer incandescents they will always be available. It's just that they have to maintain a certain level of efficiency in terms of lumens per watt. But even if someone is really so hard ass about it that they don't even want the new and greater efficient modern incandescents all they need do is go online to a lightting supply store and look under decorative and/or specialty lighting. You can get any type of incandescent you want from old style carbon filament types to antique or standard style tungsten filament lamps. Just a few months ago I purchased two antique style carbon filament bulbs for use in a couple of antique "turn of the century" style lamps that I have. They are not all that efficient and their average time to failure is much shorter than a tungsten filament. But on average they last about 2000 hours and their life can be extended considerably if you run them at a reduced voltage, such as running them off a variac. . As far as efficiency goes a 60 watt carbon filament gives about 400 lumens. Not nearly as bright as a modern high efficiency incandescent. But they do look cool in an antique fixture and they do give off that nice orange/yellow glow that was typical in old "turn of the century" electric lighting. And pricewise they are not bad, I can get a 60 watt clear carbon filament from anywhere between $5.00 to $8.00. Again, not for everyday lighting but nice if you want to capture that "old time" appearance.

For general purpose lighting, such as in an office or work area I prefer regular straight tube fluorescent lighting using the higher temperature "Daylight" tubes that give off a very distinct bluish-white colour. Otherwise the standard "cool-white" tubes are great. Both give off a nice sharp light that is perfect for desk work or in the hobby room or work shop.

KG4NEL
06-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Standard fluoro tubes make me want to suicide. But YMMV.

For those that prefer incandescents they will always be available. It's just that they have to maintain a certain level of efficiency in terms of lumens per watt.

I don't know enough about lightbulbs to know what the state of the art is, but that seems sensible. And apparently there are so many exemptions, we'll be seeing them for a long time...

KG4CGC
06-07-2015, 08:23 PM
I don't know about getting upset, but it does sort of irk me. If the price differential to get to LEDs was less, it'd be less irksome.

It's sort of like saying that you can't buy a vehicle that gets under a certain MPG, but the replacement is $10K more.

Oh, I get what you're saying. I was referring to the changeover from incandescent to CFL. Thing is, the claim was that incandescent would be outlawed. Just part of the anti-government propaganda machine.

n2ize
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Standard fluoro tubes make me want to suicide. But YMMV.

I don't know enough about lightbulbs to know what the state of the art is, but that seems sensible.

Well, a lot of the new "high efficiency" incandescent that I see in stores seem to have the filament enclosed in a quartz tube surrounded by the traditional glass bulb. I suspect that the quartz tube is evacuated of air and filled with a halogen atmosphere. So in reality they are probably quartz halogen incandescents.

And apparently there are so many exemptions, we'll be seeing them for a long time...

Oh most definitely. Special purpose, utility, appliance, decorative nostalgia applications. No doubt all kinds of incandescents will be around for many decades to come. There will just be far less of them in use which will produce the overall goals, i.e. energy savings.

n2ize
06-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Oh, I get what you're saying. I was referring to the changeover from incandescent to CFL. Thing is, the claim was that incandescent would be outlawed. Just part of the anti-government propaganda machine.

Exactly. The "incandescent bulbs will be outlawed" mantra has been played over and over again, mainly by the ultra-conservative, tea party types. The "outlawing of incandescent bulbs" lie has been propagated primarily as part of the ultra right's teapublican anti-Obama crusade.

koØm
06-08-2015, 04:09 PM
All the lamps (that are used regularly) in the house use CFL, that cut my utility bill in half. However, just this last week I replaced a twenty year old 60 watt incandescent bulb in a hallway fixture and, I have another 60 watt incandescent bulb in a closet with the furnace, it only gets turned on once a year when the maintenence man checks the furnace.