PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular

X-Rated
05-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Anyone know anything about US Cellulose? That 4 lines for $120 a month caught my eye and all. Was thinking about switching over to save a hundred a month.

KC2UGV
06-01-2015, 05:58 AM
I think they're a subsidiary of Sprint? I dunno for sure. FWIW, T-Mobile's pricing is about the same too.

X-Rated
06-01-2015, 07:39 AM
I think they're a subsidiary of Sprint? I dunno for sure. FWIW, T-Mobile's pricing is about the same too.

We had T-Mobile for over a decade and when we moved, we could not get T-Mobile service at the house and switched. ATT is big here but there is no crossover to using ATT in this area so the T-Mobile phones are dead here. I have used T-Mobile almost everywhere roaming with ATT and others. I know it can be done. But I believe there are areas of each state that carriers have to swear off to so they don't get caught with some anti-trust shit or something. Our phones searched for networks and ATT came up, but they won't logon to the network here. Otherwise T-Mobile would be a no-brainer for me. I liked the idea of going with Credo on the Sprint network but the competition is too high now and I am thinking it is time to change. I have had phones on ATT and Verizon so I have an idea on how they work but I have never used US Cellular before.

Thanks.

K7SGJ
06-01-2015, 08:36 AM
My only concern about US or any other provider is coverage. Unfortunately, out where we are, Verizon is the only service we can get to work, and even then, it can be spotty

X-Rated
06-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Yeah. I looked at the coverage map and when I come to see you Eddie, it appears that there is coverage there with partner networks. Looks like probably Verizon.

K7SGJ
06-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Most people without Verizon that come out here complain about no service. I don't know hoe the partnering works, but if it will fall back to Verizon, you should be good to go. It seems like Verizon gets just about everywhere. We have 4G service plans, but only get 3G here at the casa. Once we get 5 or 10 miles South of here, the 4G starts working.

K0RGR
06-01-2015, 05:25 PM
It's Sprint under the covers, but Ting is cheap. My bill for 4 lines runs less than $100 a month, sometimes a lot less. We switched from Verizon the day I discovered I was not, in fact, a billionaire. If I leave Ting, I think I will go see what Wal Mart has to offer. I believe they use AT+T under the covers.
Verizon does have the best service everywhere, and Sprint is usually OK near major highways and Interstates. It's spotty at my house, though, so I have my own mini-tower.

The trick with Ting is that you supply the phone or buy it directly from them. Most old Sprint phones can be brought over. We got a pretty decent deal on three iPhone 4's that are all working really well. They sell a wide variety of used phones, some of them quite cheap. I just looked and in addition to SPrint phones, you can also bring some GSM devices. They have a tool to check out if your phone will work.

X-Rated
06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
It's Sprint under the covers, but Ting is cheap. My bill for 4 lines runs less than $100 a month, sometimes a lot less. We switched from Verizon the day I discovered I was not, in fact, a billionaire. If I leave Ting, I think I will go see what Wal Mart has to offer. I believe they use AT+T under the covers.
Verizon does have the best service everywhere, and Sprint is usually OK near major highways and Interstates. It's spotty at my house, though, so I have my own mini-tower.

The trick with Ting is that you supply the phone or buy it directly from them. Most old Sprint phones can be brought over. We got a pretty decent deal on three iPhone 4's that are all working really well. They sell a wide variety of used phones, some of them quite cheap. I just looked and in addition to SPrint phones, you can also bring some GSM devices. They have a tool to check out if your phone will work.

We have coverage on the CDMA map but the GSM must be T-Mobile.

koØm
06-03-2015, 06:11 PM
We have coverage on the CDMA map but the GSM must be T-Mobile.

I've got METROPCS as my cell provider, they are owned by T-Mobile

"Right now, T-Mobile covers 96 percent of Americans, and over the past year, we've completely shattered records with the fastest 4G LTE deployment the U.S. wireless industry has ever seen." said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "Our competitors want you to believe our network doesn't measure up. But that just isn't true. And American consumers are going to see right through the spin and half-truths when given the facts."

I live in part of the 4% area, there is no 4G Lte service in my area, if i'm in the right part of town, I can get HSPA+ (fake 4G, more like 3.5G) however, most of the time I get 3G connections that sometimes falls back to the EDGE (2G) network. We pay 35 bucks for 2 Gigs of (fake 4G) data and unlimited everything else.

Verizon, the best network, has the highest prices: 10 gigs of data for $100.00 + $15.00 per line + your monthly installment payment of $26.00 comes out to $141.00 + tax and fees.

X-Rated
06-03-2015, 09:16 PM
I'd like to get T-Mobile but they don't have it where I live now. The T-Mobile phones won't get ATT either. They just won't lock on. When we moved here, T-Mobile let us out of our contract without charging anything because they offer no service here.

koØm
06-04-2015, 04:43 PM
I'd like to get T-Mobile but they don't have it where I live now. The T-Mobile phones won't get ATT either. They just won't lock on. When we moved here, T-Mobile let us out of our contract without charging anything because they offer no service here.

http://www.discoveroregonillinois.com/discoveroregon/

I don't know about living there full time but, I would give up my cellphone for a week of vacation in that area.

Ting?

I didn't realize that there were that many cell phone providers in the USA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_opera tors

KA9MOT
06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
US Cellular here Jerry. Good service, but lots of hidden fees. When I finally got clear of their contract I went to prepaid with them. $65 per month, per phone.

X-Rated
06-16-2015, 10:16 PM
US Cellular here Jerry. Good service, but lots of hidden fees. When I finally got clear of their contract I went to prepaid with them. $65 per month, per phone.

That sounds sucky. I hate hidden fees.