PDA

View Full Version : I need a good Ten-Tec guy.

KA9MOT
05-25-2015, 12:04 PM
My brother Mike KC9ZQU, purchased an Omni D Model C. It took a shot to the VFO during shipping. Mike asked me to look at it and I don't know where to go with it.

Now my brother is having health problems that he will not survive and he told me to part the radio out and get what I can get for it. I told him I'd rather see if I could get the radio fixed and keep it as a permanent part of my shack. He's agreed.

So, I it comes down to who I trust not to screw this up. I trust you guys.

Do any of you know a good Ten Tec repair shop/person?

Ten-Tec has already told Mike they don't want anything to do with the radio.
I cannot find a VFO assembly for sale anywhere or I would replace it myself.

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

WØTKX
05-25-2015, 12:45 PM
http://www.n4yg.com/Corsair.html

Omni D Series C has a 9 Mhz IF just like the Corsair models. Earlier Omni D's use 5 Mhz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-Tec-Satellite-transverter-/151685967628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2351302f0c

Possible for the mechanical parts?

http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=pto

Are you sure it's broken, or does it just feel tight and not change frequency?

KA9MOT
05-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Yes, it's broken. There is a black plastic piece on the back of the box that houses the vfo that is broken. I can't tell what it is. I don't know what else is bad because I don't want to tear it down and then try to remember how it all goes back together once I find the parts. My memory sucks.

The VFO itself spins freely.

I looked at the wiki, and couldn't find what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

W3WN
05-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Ask this on the Ten Tec reflector. You'll get some good answers.

In fact, as soon as I get down to the shack, I will pass this on.

KA9MOT
05-25-2015, 07:26 PM
For illustration purposes, I've taken some pictures.

This is a black plastic part (probably the case for something) and is located on the rear of the box that contains the VFO.

I'm having difficulty posting them here, so these links will take you to them.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/kc0rey/Use1_zpsaj43dsjm.jpg

and

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/kc0rey/Use_zpsofglxblp.jpg

KA9MOT
05-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks Ron! Tell me more about this Ten-Tec reflector. Do you have a link?

W3WN
05-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ron! Tell me more about this Ten-Tec reflector. Do you have a link?
The main reflector is hosted on the Contesting.com server. I don't have a link handy, I'm back upstairs on the iPad (just got done watching another Pirates victory with the Boss)

There are some secondary reflectors for various rigs (Orion, Omni VII, Rebel, etc) but that's the main one.

Hopefully, you should hear something soon.

W3WN
05-25-2015, 09:01 PM
... there were two replies on the reflector. Of course, this is after I tell them to email you direct (via the sales @ mypanadator address, the only one I had) since you're not on the reflector.

*sigh*

I've forwarded those two to you, though I'm not sure how helpful they'll be.

Anyway, I got cut off before. The main Ten Tec reflector primarily covers topics generally about the company, the equipment, repairs, for sale items, basically the usual gauntlet. At least two TT staff & one former staff are on the reflector and read the emails, though they don't always reply.

Overall, it's a good group. Does have a handful of yutzes, but that seems inevitable these days.

KA9MOT
05-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks Ron, I found it and signed up. I got your email as well.
Thank you very much.

W3WN
05-26-2015, 07:19 AM
You're welcome.

I forwarded a few more to you this morning. (Obviously some people are skimming their emails and not catching that it's not MY rig! Oh well, there are worse things, thankfully, our favorite gym teacher is not on that reflector)

One is from Wade Staggs KJ4WS (tvman1954@gmail.com). Wade had a very good rep for repair work on older gear, and as he mentions in the email, he was kind enough to do the work to replace the germanium transistors on the audio board of a certain Argonaut 505 that is now in another Islander's hands. I do highly recommend him; but I wanted to hear from him first before passing the info along, since, well, things happen.

WØTKX
05-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Kewl. I have one more Omni-D that I need to fix. Cleaning only helped it some.

I'm out of the PTO rebuild kits. Should have bought more when they were available.

KA9MOT
05-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Thanks Ron,

I saw Wade's reply and I am going to take him up on it. I'm also going to look into the info on the DDS kit.

KA9MOT
05-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Kewl. I have one more Omni-D that I need to fix. Cleaning only helped it some.

I'm out of the PTO rebuild kits. Should have bought more when they were available.

W3WN
05-26-2015, 09:36 AM
I hear a lot of good things about the DDS kits. I just hate to muck with the Corsair when there's nothing wrong with it, but should the time come...

N8YX
05-27-2015, 06:13 AM
I hear a lot of good things about the DDS kits. I just hate to muck with the Corsair when there's nothing wrong with it, but should the time come...
I'm going to do a "before and after" comparison (PTO/VFO vs. DDS) with one of my SB-104As and one of my TR-7s using a spectrum analyzer. The DDS will be temporarily connected to the mixers instead of being permanently installed, and should IMD/phase noise figures be equal to or lower than the stock parts, every rig I own that can be converted is going to get a DDS VFO installed.

Stability, RIT, dual VFOs and split mode (without having to run an external VFO) - what's not to like?

W3WN
05-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Setting aside that I don't have the spare shekels right now to buy a DDS kit... there's simply nothing wrong with the Corsair's PTO. (I have some other issues with the rig, which some contact cleaner and filter resetting ought to fix)

And much as I love the rig, the reality is that it's about 30 years old, and is now the 3rd rig in the shack, so it gets lightly used. Not sure if I'm ready to make the time & $$ investment in upgrading a PTO that's working just as it should.

Now, what would be a neat thing to do would be to (eventually) get my hands on a DDS kit, and build a "new" Remote VFO. That could easily be adapted for other rigs (since the 5 - 5.5 MHz PTO is very common), and would certainly be of interest to those with a Corsair/Corsair II & similar vintage rig that is capable of supporting an external VFO, but simply wasn't purchased with the option.

Eventually, though. I have other priorities in the shack right now, all of which come after getting the house ready to host Little Miss Field Day's graduation party in a little over a month.

K7SGJ
05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Are we all invited? Bob wants to know if there will be lots of food. Adam wants to know if there will be lobster, and Carl said he'll bring lemons from "The Grove".

N8YX
05-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Now, what would be a neat thing to do would be to (eventually) get my hands on a DDS kit, and build a "new" Remote VFO. That could easily be adapted for other rigs (since the 5 - 5.5 MHz PTO is very common), and would certainly be of interest to those with a Corsair/Corsair II & similar vintage rig that is capable of supporting an external VFO, but simply wasn't purchased with the option.

Eventually, though. I have other priorities in the shack right now, all of which come after getting the house ready to host Little Miss Field Day's graduation party in a little over a month.
Set your shekels aside. I have a C-II remote VFO with your name on it should you want the thing.

NQ6U
05-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Are we all invited? Bob wants to know if there will be lots of food. Adam wants to know if there will be lobster, and Carl said he'll bring lemons from "The Grove".

Not to mention a case of “sacramental” Chateau Lafite Rothchild 2003 (http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?s=14D95932F4CF&i=1025712) from the Vatican cellars.

W3WN
05-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Set your shekels aside. I have a C-II remote VFO with your name on it should you want the thing.
How many shekels are we talking about?

KA9MOT
06-13-2015, 02:24 PM
My boys and I cleaned Mike's shack out today. He had a Ten-Tec Omni V with the matching Power Supply/Speaker. I can't find any info regarding what I should ask for when I sell it. It is in fine shape and works well. Any advice?

WØTKX
06-13-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm guessing $800? There are some upgrades such as filters and maybe the N4PY chip and such.

Ron prolly knows more about it, I don't have one. Nice radio. :yes:

Ten Tec reflector and/or Facebook page. Ask, and most will be helpful.

KA9MOT
06-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks Dave,
The Ten-Tec reflector has so far been pretty disappointing. Only 1 person commented and I think his guess is low. He said $400 to $500 for both rig and power supply/speaker.
I'll see if I can find Ten-Tec on Facebook.

KA9MOT
08-21-2015, 09:59 PM
And as luck would have it. I went to N4PY's website tonight to buy the DDS Kit for the Omni D Model C. He's out of business. I wish he'd have given some warning......I'd wouldn't have purchased my TM-D700A and used the money on his kit instead. :(

WØTKX
08-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Yea, I saw that too. Somebody can and will fill that DDS hole...

KA9MOT
08-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Yea, I saw that too. Somebody can and will fill that DDS hole...

I sure hope so...that non operational OmniD is taking up allot of desk space.

W3WN
08-22-2015, 09:08 PM
And as luck would have it. I went to N4PY's website tonight to buy the DDS Kit for the Omni D Model C. He's out of business. I wish he'd have given some warning......I'd wouldn't have purchased my TM-D700A and used the money on his kit instead. :(N4PY is out of business? Ah, no, not hardly.

I think you have your sites mixed up. N4PY sells control software for multiple radios including many Ten-Tecs, but he doesn't sell DDS kits.

Let me check on something... Ah, so, I think you meant the N4YG site. Right prefix, wrong suffix!

N3ZI sells DDS kits, I've heard good things about them. Might be worth checking into?

WØTKX
08-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Missed that callsign mix-up, and I'm even an N4PY software subscriber/abuser. :lol:

Yes, there are other kits, but the discontinued ones seem to be less fiddly.

I have a cranky Omni-D that I would love to "DDS". But, it still works.

KA9MOT
09-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Yes, I mixed up the callsign! DOH!

I'll still keep finding a way to get this old rig on the air.

On a side note, I scored a Kenwood TS-520 at Peoria's Superfest for $125. The rig works so well, and looks almost new.......

Does a TS-520 count as a boat anchor?

W2NAP
09-28-2015, 04:55 PM

On a side note, I scored a Kenwood TS-520 at Peoria's Superfest for $125. The rig works so well, and looks almost new.......

Does a TS-520 count as a boat anchor?

who cares what ya call it, $125 and it works is a win.

N8YX
09-29-2015, 05:53 AM
An Omni V in perfect working order - no upgrade chip, no power supply and with all filters - is worth $500-550.

K3JLS has the solution to N4YG's leaving the market. I just reached out to Joe ('YG) and inquired about buying a dozen or so of his PCBs and programmed PICs. Steve and Dave, you may wish to do same for your rigs...I'll build them for you when I ramp up "production" on the stuff I'm planning to buy.

N8YX
09-29-2015, 06:01 AM
N3ZI sells DDS kits, I've heard good things about them. Might be worth checking into?
The big gotcha with 'ZI's offerings is range. Make the thing in two versions...wideband (0.1-32MHZ) and PTO/VFO replacement (5.0-5.5 or 5.0-6.0MHz)...you'll have a good solution for either application.

Don't scrimp on the rotary encoder for your DDS project. Use a Grayhill 63F256 or similar ball-bearing model. This one is rated at 300 million revolutions and turns smooth as silk.

KA9MOT
09-29-2015, 11:50 AM
An Omni V in perfect working order - no upgrade chip, no power supply and with all filters - is worth $500-550.

K3JLS has the solution to N4YG's leaving the market. I just reached out to Joe ('YG) and inquired about buying a dozen or so of his PCBs and programmed PICs. Steve and Dave, you may wish to do same for your rigs...I'll build them for you when I ramp up "production" on the stuff I'm planning to buy.

Yes! I sold Mike's Omni V for $500 plus shipping. The new owner is very happy with it. :)

I did contact Joe (and sent him a link to this thread). He had some good advise and recommended I speak with David N4AX. I'll be sending him an email in a little while.
Thanks for the K3JLS recommendation.

Joe also said that after talking with N4AX that if I still wanted to buy the parts, he'd sell me a kit. I'm not 100% sure I am good enough to assemble one of these, so I may take you up on your generous offer Fred. Of course, I would be willing t pay you for your assistance.

KA9MOT
09-29-2015, 12:24 PM
who cares what ya call it, $125 and it works is a win.

Definitely a win! We have a local ham here who doesn't have allot. I plan to "loan" it to him as incentive to upgrade to General.

N8YX
09-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Yes! I sold Mike's Omni V for $500 plus shipping. The new owner is very happy with it. :)

I bought an Omni V from one of Ron's cronies for the same price several years ago. It features something that the Omni VI, Paragon I and II don't: An all mode squelch. The others only operate when in FM.

DUMB, especially on a rig which features a true RF Gain control. You can mimic a squelch on things which use an IF Gain (like a Kenwood or Drake) just by turning the control until it begins to deflect the S meter and quieting occurs.

Regardless, I'm not looking to get rid of any of my Sevierville-produced stuff. When I redo my shack this fall I'm going to put all four T-T transceivers in the HF operating spots.

WØTKX
09-29-2015, 12:49 PM
To do all of my collection, I'd need five DDS replacements. Three rigs and two outboard VFOs.
However, only one is really bad, on the Omni D series B. T:chin:

OTH, they just sit, as I use my Flex all the time.
BTW, the Flex has all "all mode squelch". ;)

W3WN
09-29-2015, 08:50 PM

Does a TS-520 count as a boat anchor?I know where you can get a TS-520 with spare finals, drivers, and the yet to be installed replacement resistors for the final tank circuit.

N8YX
09-30-2015, 07:13 AM
I have 12 (count 'em) 'YG DDS VFO boards with PIC and DDS chips attached inbound. 8 for my Drake conversion projects (4ea TR7 and R7) and 4 for the SB104 "hacking" project which I've been detailing elsewhere on the site.

Dave, this might be a good way to go if you want to update your stuff: $35 per board with both components attached; you source the rest and finish the units.

Assuming that I have most of the other needed parts in Ye Olde Junque Box, the money I'll save by assembling mine will make a significant dent towards recouping the cost of my PACE soldering equipment.

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Damn.... I've got to do a better job of keeping up!

I know where you can get a TS-520 with spare finals, drivers, and the yet to be installed replacement resistors for the final tank circuit.

Hmmm....... How much mullah?

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 05:29 AM
I have 12 (count 'em) 'YG DDS VFO boards with PIC and DDS chips attached inbound. 8 for my Drake conversion projects (4ea TR7 and R7) and 4 for the SB104 "hacking" project which I've been detailing elsewhere on the site.

Dave, this might be a good way to go if you want to update your stuff: $35 per board with both components attached; you source the rest and finish the units.

Assuming that I have most of the other needed parts in Ye Olde Junque Box, the money I'll save by assembling mine will make a significant dent towards recouping the cost of my PACE soldering equipment.

I think Joe must have taken pity on me because of my sob story. He sold me a complete DDS Kit. The guy is a credit to this hobby.
I can't wait to put Mike's radio on the air.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Damn.... I've got to do a better job of keeping up!

Hmmm....... How much mullah?
$125, what I have invested in it. Plus shipping costs, which will be a bear.

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 06:12 AM
Hell yeah! I'm in! Let me know how much shipping is.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Hell yeah! I'm in! Let me know how much shipping is.Ok. It's yours pending shipping arrangements.

Considering the weight of the 520, and light it's not (I see some online listings that show it at 16 kg. which means roughly 36 lbs) let me see what's going to be involved to do it right.

BTW, did I mention that I have the manual and the DC cord as well? No mike, but I do have the 8-to-4-pin adapter with it.

N8YX
10-05-2015, 09:41 AM
I think Joe must have taken pity on me because of my sob story. He sold me a complete DDS Kit. The guy is a credit to this hobby.
I can't wait to put Mike's radio on the air.

Sad to see him departing the DDS market. I think a lot of the older analog gear is worth a time and money investment when it comes to a performance upgrade such as a DDS-based VFO.

Cubic, Drake, Heathkit, Ten-Tec. All used LMOs/PTOs at some point in their product history and in most cases that's the only real shortcoming with any of the stuff. Well...with the possible exception of
Ten-Tec's audio-derived AGC.

Joe's going to hold a couple of his DDS boards for me...these programmed for use with the Corsair series of radios. I've a little project in mind: DDS conversion of both a C-II and the matching external VFO. The Corsair is going to get a few performance upgrades while I'm in it, and I think I'll have a new front panel fabricated and lettered. Maybe some knobs which match my Omnis and Paragons...concentric ones for the AF/RF Gain and a couple other controls so I can gain real estate for some extra functionality. There's a mod floating around for the radio which allows one to bypass the PBT assembly entirely, allowing for a quieter receive section. So...build up a circuit which allows front-panel defeat of the PBT, controlled by a rotary switch. Gang the Notch and BP Offset controls...perhaps a squelch control in the newly opened panel spot?

You get the idea.

The VFO gets another front panel as well. I'll carefully preserve the original and the PTO then come up with a digital readout for the thing. Maybe use the same blue LEDs that I have in my Omni VI and figure a way to convert the Corsair's OEM readout to use them.

This is why I'm not looking for a "collector quality" C-II. When the aim is to turn it into a C-III, a fixer-upper (albeit one that isn't beat to crap) will do nicely.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Hmmm.

If memory serves, Joe's DDS board was capable of being both the "A" and "B" VFO in & of itself. (If I'm wrong, I may be thinking of another one that's been out there). If that's truly the case, you would no longer require the external VFO with a Corsair/Corsair II that's had the DDS upgrade. Considering the going price for the 263/263G Remote VFO, that is an upgrade worth considering.

There may be a small market out there for a DDS based Remote VFO that would be the functional equivalent of a 263/263G (or similar 5 MHz based VFO for other radios), with the enhancements of a dual VFO in one. Especially to someone who has a fully functioning analog radio, but would like the digital readout on the RVFO, along with the other "enhancements" that the DDS provides, all without making modifications to the main rig.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
BTW, did any of those emails WRT a used C2 pay off? Or are you still looking into it?

On edit... disregard, I see in the other thread that it did. Excellent!

N8YX
10-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Hmmm.

If memory serves, Joe's DDS board was capable of being both the "A" and "B" VFO in & of itself. (If I'm wrong, I may be thinking of another one that's been out there). If that's truly the case, you would no longer require the external VFO with a Corsair/Corsair II that's had the DDS upgrade. Considering the going price for the 263/263G Remote VFO, that is an upgrade worth considering...

But I already have a 263 in the bag. Or shall I say, "on the shelf". ;)

As far as "Why would I need one with a DDS conversion": Think very carefully about the 263 and the unique feature it brings to the table when used with a Corsair; consult the Owner's Manuals as needed. That in and of itself is why I want one of these ensembles.

W3WN
10-05-2015, 12:47 PM
But I already have a 263 in the bag. Or shall I say, "on the shelf". ;)

As far as "Why would I need one with a DDS conversion": Think very carefully about the 263 and the unique feature it brings to the table when used with a Corsair; consult the Owner's Manuals as needed. That in and of itself is why I want one of these ensembles.Oh yes, of course.

I'm actually surprised that so few rigs since the Corsair/Corsair II, including their successors, have had that feature, in one form or another. It does come in handy when you're working split and trying to find the calling station!

N8YX
10-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Oh yes, of course.

I'm actually surprised that so few rigs since the Corsair/Corsair II, including their successors, have had that feature, in one form or another. It does come in handy when you're working split and trying to find the calling station!

Or receiving two separate frequencies in-band.

Imagine the possibilities.

One can listen to the phun on 14.275 and 313 at the same time. Or 7.185 and 7.200. Or 3.840 and 3.843 - you get the idea...

W3WN
10-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Or receiving two separate frequencies in-band.

Imagine the possibilities.

One can listen to the phun on 14.275 and 313 at the same time. Or 7.185 and 7.200. Or 3.840 and 3.843 - you get the idea...Yeah. But what a waste of a good rig with a great feature.

WØTKX
10-05-2015, 02:04 PM
:lol:

Yea, I like the dual RX a lot, but mostly so I can keep track of long winded nets while ragchewing elsewhere on the same band.

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Ok. It's yours pending shipping arrangements.

Considering the weight of the 520, and light it's not (I see some online listings that show it at 16 kg. which means roughly 36 lbs) let me see what's going to be involved to do it right.

BTW, did I mention that I have the manual and the DC cord as well? No mike, but I do have the 8-to-4-pin adapter with it.

36 pounds is right! That sucker is heavy!

Manual and DC Cord? That's candy!

Thanks Ron!

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Or 7.185 and 7.200.

I listen to those bozos on 7.200 quite a bit. I still haven't figured out who's is a bad guy, and who isn't.
7.185? I'll have to go listen. :)

W3WN
10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't call them "bozos." That's an insult to the memory of Larry "Bozo the Clown" Harmon.

W2NAP
10-05-2015, 04:26 PM
I listen to those bozos on 7.200 quite a bit. I still haven't figured out who's is a bad guy, and who isn't.
7.185? I'll have to go listen. :)

hey I get on 7200.

KA9MOT
10-05-2015, 04:32 PM
hey I get on 7200.

I haven't heard you. When I do, I'll say hello!

I listened for a couple of hours today and almost every QSO was above board and interesting. Normal ham radio topics, etc. Then somebody called someone a "white nigger" and it all went to hell from there. I had Steven JR turn the rig off.

N8YX
10-05-2015, 04:46 PM

I listened for a couple of hours today and almost every QSO was above board and interesting. Normal ham radio topics, etc. Then somebody called someone a "white nigger" and it all went to hell from there. I had Steven JR turn the rig off.

Music on the frequency at the moment. They's creeping out of the woodwork again.

NQ6U
10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Music on the frequency at the moment. They's creeping out of the woodwork again.

And "creeping" is exactly the right word to use.

WØTKX
10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FQJpuF9UE

W2NAP
10-05-2015, 11:45 PM

I was on for a bit around 730pm'ish edt.

prob N2FUV calling people niggers again.

N8YX
10-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I was on for a bit around 730pm'ish edt.

prob N2FUV calling people niggers again.

The same synthesized voice which has targeted 'KFM on occasion now has 'FUV in its sights. When the FCC finally collars that one it'll be berrrry interesting to see who's behind the curtain.

W2NAP
10-06-2015, 08:53 AM
The same synthesized voice which has targeted 'KFM on occasion now has 'FUV in its sights. When the FCC finally collars that one it'll be berrrry interesting to see who's behind the curtain.

yeah it will, I do know FUV gets on 7200 and says how he hates nigs,rednecks,hillbillies,and everything else so any time I hear anyone talk about someone dropping the n word on 7200 my 1st thought is always fuv

N8YX
10-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Steering this back to radio equipment:

I contacted Ten-Tec this week regarding some parts for a 253 antenna tuner. Mind you, the pre-RKR outfit could supply spare parts for stuff as old as a Power Mite.

They have none of the stuff I needed in stock, including the ever-popular plastic end caps used on the front panels of damn near every piece of gear made from the Corsair series through the Paragon and Omni VI days. I was able to readily obtain these just two years prior with no sign of them being discontinued. Now...no longer available.

John, 'DPO possibly called it right in a review thread on another site. I have a feeling if I want a new U.S. produced transceiver it'll either be a K3S or a DZKit Sienna.

Looks like it's time to start hoarding junkers if I want to keep my Sevierville gear on the air. Damn sad.

KA9MOT
10-11-2015, 04:02 PM
I received my DDS Kit. No directions, but I am hoping I can find something online..... I'd hate to have to figure this out myself.
Please don't take that as a complaint. It's not. I am overjoyed that Joe helped me out. Awesome guy!

I'm just doubting my abilities...... :)

WØTKX
10-12-2015, 08:00 PM
One of my local buddies is consulting for RKR now, on the Alpha side... Specifically the high powered auto tuners. He's affirmed that the old parts support is pretty much over. Shame, but not surprising.

So, maybe my Ten Tec Museum will achieve a little more value? :dunno:

I do think the DDS route is a good solution for longevity.

W3WN
10-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Well, it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's going on in TN. John Henry KI4JPL, the former head of engineering, is saying all the right things... making it clear that he is no longer an employee and is going by what he hears.

It's not entirely a surprise, though it's sad, that the large stockpile of NOS parts is pretty much gone. Between the new ownership setting their own policies, and the move to new quarters (and dumping a LOT of old stuff, not just parts inventory) in the process, it was inevitable. And in all fairness, they never had an unlimited parts supply. Some stuff is just plain unobtainium, either due to age, or due to the side effects of the move.

Even so, as I've said to some privately, the impression I'm getting is that RKR may simply not have sufficient cash on hand at present... they may have overextended themselves in the buyout. IF that is the case, and it is purely speculation on my part based on my reading of the tea leaves, let's hope that it is a temporary situation (word I have from my sources is that TT just got a large commercial order, which was a big shot in the arm).

It would be nice if we knew more about what's going on, but it is a privately owned company and they have no public or legal obligation to reveal their inner workings.

Meanwhile, the web vultures are flying over what they presume is a soon to be corpse, and they're letting everyone know it. I received over the weekend an email from someone telling me that all is lost, see the forums Over Yonder and on eHam for details, since I didn't know. (Obviously the schmuck didn't pick up that I was already participating in many of these threads... why let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to dig up more dirt and spread it around?).

No, things aren't looking good... but the company's not dead yet. I'm not ready to start digging the grave, let alone start putting the dirt back in on the coffin.

WØTKX
10-12-2015, 08:57 PM
All of mine still work very well, with the exception of the Omni D series B and it's "getting goofy" PTO. I have one more rebuild kit around here somewhere.

NQ6U
10-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I had to go to the local crafts store to find some elastic cord to restring the dial indicator on the Argonaut 505 but other than that, it's working great. Neat little rig.

K7SGJ
10-13-2015, 05:13 PM
I had to go to the local crafts store to find some elastic cord to restring the dial indicator on the Argonaut 505 but other than that, it's working great. Neat little rig.

Want some honest to god no shit dial cord?

NQ6U
10-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Want some honest to god no shit dial cord?

Thanks, but it won't work on the 505, which uses elastic cord. It functions as both cord and spring, stretching as you tune up the band and contracting as you tune down. I discovered that it's important to run the pointer all the way back to the low end of the dial at the end of a operating session because it relieves the stress on the elastic.

WØTKX
10-13-2015, 08:19 PM
The older PM2 I used to have was the same way. :)

KA9MOT
10-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Question for you guys. This DDS Kit wants 5V for the Encoder. I'm planning on using a 7805 Regulator to provide that 5V since I am unable to find 5V in the radio. I am going to need to mount it to something and that means chassis. Can you mount a voltage regulator with-out insulators to ground (Mount the tab with screw, washer and nut) with-out creating havoc?

K7SGJ
10-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Question for you guys. This DDS Kit wants 5V for the Encoder. I'm planning on using a 7805 Regulator to provide that 5V since I am unable to find 5V in the radio. I am going to need to mount it to something and that means chassis. Can you mount a voltage regulator with-out insulators to ground (Mount the tab with screw, washer and nut) with-out creating havoc?

How much current does the DDS pull? You may be able to get away with a 78M05 in a TO-39 package. If a heatsink is required, there are round snap on heatsinks that are just air cooled. I believe, without looking, they will do around a half an amp. The good news is with the snap on heat sink, a chassis mount is not required. There are also heatsinks available for the 7805 that does not require sinking to the chasis. Obviously, it just depends on the current requirement and how much heat you need to dissipate.

W3WN
10-15-2015, 09:32 AM
One of my local buddies is consulting for RKR now, on the Alpha side... Specifically the high powered auto tuners. He's affirmed that the old parts support is pretty much over. Shame, but not surprising.

So, maybe my Ten Tec Museum will achieve a little more value? :dunno:

I do think the DDS route is a good solution for longevity.That reminds me, if you run into Don WØDM in your travels and travails, tell him I said "hi". We used to communicate, on & off, but somewhere along the way fell out of touch. Good guy.

I used to get the Boulder ARC club newsletter (on exchange with mine) for awhile; that too fell into the cracks somewhere along the way. Pity, too, it was a good read.

W3WN
10-15-2015, 09:34 AM
36 pounds is right! That sucker is heavy!

Manual and DC Cord? That's candy!

Thanks Ron!I have not forgotten about you, just haven't had a chance to get some boxes and pack things up right. We spent most of last weekend at Point Park U for Family Weekend, so I had almost no free time left.

N8YX
10-16-2015, 01:37 PM
...It's not entirely a surprise, though it's sad, that the large stockpile of NOS parts is pretty much gone. Between the new ownership setting their own policies, and the move to new quarters (and dumping a LOT of old stuff, not just parts inventory) in the process, it was inevitable. And in all fairness, they never had an unlimited parts supply. Some stuff is just plain unobtainium, either due to age, or due to the side effects of the move...

Quoting from a manual I have open at the moment:

"Ten-Tec's service department can repair and service virtually everything we have built going back to our first transceivers in the late 1960's. It is our ability to continue offering service on these rigs that has led to their re-sale value remaining high and has made a major contribution to our legendary service reputation."

Read those words CAREFULLY, RKR...and reconsider your ill-advised decision to terminate service and parts support for those legacy products.

Ask any Harley Davidson dealership where the lion's share of their profits come from. Hint: It isn't from the sales of new units. With few exceptions, I can stroll down to my local franchise and get a 1985-up Big Twin piecemeal from their service spares catalog.

WØTKX
10-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Does W4PA know what happened to all the old parts?

:chin:

W3WN
10-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Does W4PA know what happened to all the old parts?

:chin:You can ask him.

But keep in mind that Scott's kinda busy running Vibroplex right now.

N8YX
10-23-2015, 12:27 PM
An interesting bit in the Swap section of QTH, posted a few days ago. Guess T-T cannot provide repair parts - specifically, the CPU - for an Orion. If the same can be said for the O-II or the Omni VII...things don't look good.

KA9MOT
10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
I have not forgotten about you, just haven't had a chance to get some boxes and pack things up right. We spent most of last weekend at Point Park U for Family Weekend, so I had almost no free time left.

Take your time. I have tucked some funds away for you and hopefully it will be enough. If not.... I'll have to pilfer from the Wal*Mart fund and we all know who that enrages......

Just send me an email when you're ready Ron.

I'm taking my time with this Omni..... scary stuff here....

W3WN
10-28-2015, 08:14 PM
An interesting bit in the Swap section of QTH, posted a few days ago. Guess T-T cannot provide repair parts - specifically, the CPU - for an Orion. If the same can be said for the O-II or the Omni VII...things don't look good.
The Orion (or O1) was killed when the manufacturer discontinued the CPU. I know TT stockpiled some at the time... that's under the original ownership, of course, not the current group of shmendricks... but sooner or later, they were going to run out.

The Orion II (O2) replaced the O1 with a lot of improvements, minor and major. The big difference was that the O2 had the newer CPU that replaced the discontinued one. And then, a few years later, the same thing happened. Now, why TT didn't come out with an O3 is another story.

WØTKX
10-28-2015, 10:57 PM
ADI SHARC Processors for the FDP. Still available in later versions. ADI is still in business. I don't know crapola about them, but why the hell couldn't the new versions emulate the old?

My Pegasus uses an older ADI processor. The Ten Tecs also used Motorola (now Freescale) Dragonball processors. So, same question there. These seem to be the discontinued ones. Now the Freescale stuff is done with ARM controllers. Is this the "fork" that hit the toaster?

Like wow man. Is this a new "angle" for preservation?

Like the DDS kits for VFO/PTO replacement? :chin:

KG4CGC
10-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Based on what I just read here, a good programmer worth his/her salt could build a app based around using an old android phone as a processor.

WØTKX
10-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Calling N2CHX... Oh wait, she needs to make money and hams are too cheap.

The "planned" obsolescence of technology.

Boy! Man! God! Shit!

You Enjoy Myself.

Start at 8:30 if you can't handle the whole EPIC jam.
:mrgreen:

Catch the trampoline jamming at 10:50. :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onq0yTA-J_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onq0yTA-J_M