PDA

View Full Version : More Aluminum Bad Craziness

WX7P
05-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Craigslist will be the death of me.

That's the current load. Lots of weird old TV and FM radio antennas on top.

Complete Mosley TA-33jr. I'll have to change all the hardware and check the traps, but it's in pretty good shape.

Nifty Cushcraft A50-6S in pretty new condition next to the R5. Looks like it was in the air for only one season or so.

Tomorrow I get to go rent a trailer and pickup up the prize of the bunch. It's a Wilson 40' light weight tubular tower similar to the MA-40. It's got all the parts in decent shape. The guy also gave me a box of rotators in various states of repair. 3 of them are Ham M rotors and one Alliance HD-73. I figure if I take one apart and try to rebuild it, I've got 2 more chances if I screw it up.

All this stuff was $150. The scorn and sarcasm from Sarah ("You're going to make our new house look like the SF Russian Consulate building!") was free...

NQ6U
05-24-2015, 11:16 PM
"You're going to make our new house look like the SF Russian Consulate building!"

And what is wrong with that, tovarisch? Is good Soviet aluminum, da?

I never see anything that good on the local Craig's List. Everyone here thinks their clapped-out junk is made of gold, like this guy (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5023519647.html), for instance.

N8YX
05-25-2015, 06:19 AM

In ex-Soviet Russia, antenna erects you​.

n0iu
05-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Or you could pay for it with the new Soviet Express Card. Their motto... "Don't Leave Home!"

KG4NEL
05-25-2015, 07:17 PM

I never see anything that good on the local Craig's List. Everyone here thinks their clapped-out junk is made of gold, like this guy (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5023519647.html), for instance.

He's technically correct, although he forgot to mention that the ones that sell new for that much are autotuning and come with the tubes already. The bastid.

K4PIH
05-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Da Komerade, ve vill rotate you, from Mocba to Siberisk and rouns and round. Ha ha I make funny good rotation nyet?

NQ6U
05-26-2015, 07:01 AM
He's technically correct, although he forgot to mention that the ones that sell new for that much are autotuning and come with the tubes already. The bastid.

And don't have serious issues with the input circuitry.

WØTKX
05-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Craigslist is how I added to my collection of stuff, and I searched the non-local ones for radios and parts...

Google "search all craigslist" and you'll get hits for various custom searches.

N8YX
05-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Craigslist is how I added to my collection of stuff, and I searched the non-local ones for radios and parts...

Google "search all craigslist" and you'll get hits for various custom searches.

Craigslist was EXTREMELY helpful when I was looking for CPI radios and accessories, and when I was chasing Pace soldering gear and Tektronix TM5xx stuff.

KG4NEL
05-28-2015, 09:10 AM
adhuntr.com

w2amr
05-29-2015, 03:53 AM

Complete Mosley TA-33jr. I'll have to change all the hardware and check the traps, but it's in pretty good shape.

Nifty Cushcraft A50-6S in pretty new condition next to the R5. Looks like it was in the air for only one season or so.

Tomorrow I get to go rent a trailer and pickup up the prize of the bunch. It's a Wilson 40' light weight tubular tower similar to the MA-40. It's got all the parts in decent shape. The guy also gave me a box of rotators in various states of repair. 3 of them are Ham M rotors and one Alliance HD-73. I figure if I take one apart and try to rebuild it, I've got 2 more chances if I screw it up.

All this stuff was $150. The scorn and sarcasm from Sarah ("You're going to make our new house look like the SF Russian Consulate building!") was free...Nice find.

W3WN
05-29-2015, 08:23 AM
* sigh * why can't I ever find deals like this?

Once had someone call and say "I took down my Butternut Butterfly (HF5B) yesterday, if you want it, come on over."

Got there 30 minutes later. No antenna. His wife said "Oh, you wanted that? I just gave it to the guy collecting metal on trash day."

* sigh *

K7SGJ
05-29-2015, 11:20 AM

All this stuff was $150. The scorn and sarcasm from Sarah ("You're going to make our new house look like the SF Russian Consulate building!") was free...

You should just about have enough al-you-miny-um to build a 5 element beam for the 600 meter band. The rotator should be awesome. Pix please.

NQ6U
05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
The rotator should be awesome.

14L Cummins ISX

KG4NEL
05-29-2015, 09:50 PM
You should just about have enough al-you-miny-um to build a 5 element beam for the 600 meter band. The rotator should be awesome. Pix please.

I bet the Finns would try.

KG4NEL
05-29-2015, 09:50 PM
14L Cummins ISX

More like a Skoda...

K7SGJ
05-29-2015, 10:39 PM
More like a Skoda...

Skoda? That sounds ballsy.

NA4BH
05-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Skoda? That sounds ballsy.

Only if you scrub them with steel wool and douse them with kerosene.

K7SGJ
05-29-2015, 11:01 PM
OUCH

NA4BH
05-29-2015, 11:06 PM
No, SKODA.

It's Scandinavian

NQ6U
05-30-2015, 07:23 AM
More like a Skoda...

14L Cummins ISX should do it:

http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/images/engines/ISX15/2010/isx15-2010-heavy-duty-truck.png

K7SGJ
05-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Yugo would still be around if they used that instead of

n0iu
05-30-2015, 08:44 AM
How do you double the value of a Yugo? Fill the tank with gas!

KG4NEL
05-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Czech.

(mike czech, one two)

n0iu
05-30-2015, 10:38 AM
A Russian scientist and a Czechoslovakian scientist had spent their whole lives studying the majestic grizzly bear. Each year they petitioned their respective governments to allow them to go to Yellowstone to study these wondrous beasts. Finally, their request was granted and they immediately flew to New York and then west to Yellowstone. They reported to the local ranger station and were told that it was the grizzly mating season and it was much too dangerous to go out and study the animals. They pleaded that this was their only chance. Finally the ranger relented. The Russian and the Czech were given cell phones and told to report in each day.

For several days they called in, and then nothing was heard from the two scientists. The rangers mounted a search party and found the scientists' camp completely ravaged. There was no sign of the missing men.

They then followed the trail of a male and a female bear. They found the female and decided they must kill the animal to find out if she had eaten the scientists, because they feared an international incident. They killed the female and cut open the bear's stomach and, sure enough, found the remains of the Russian.

One ranger turned to the other and said, "You know what this means, don't you?"

"Of course," the other ranger nodded. "The Czech is in the male."

suddenseer
05-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Yugo would still be around if they used that instead of

13956My Yugo had a rear window defroster that worked surprisingly well. The only negative was the only defrosted part of the window was the hand prints from the people who pushed started it for you!

NQ6U
05-30-2015, 07:10 PM
A Russian scientist and a Czechoslovakian scientist had spent their whole lives studying the majestic grizzly bear. Each year they petitioned their respective governments to allow them to go to Yellowstone to study these wondrous beasts. Finally, their request was granted and they immediately flew to New York and then west to Yellowstone. They reported to the local ranger station and were told that it was the grizzly mating season and it was much too dangerous to go out and study the animals. They pleaded that this was their only chance. Finally the ranger relented. The Russian and the Czech were given cell phones and told to report in each day.

For several days they called in, and then nothing was heard from the two scientists. The rangers mounted a search party and found the scientists' camp completely ravaged. There was no sign of the missing men.

They then followed the trail of a male and a female bear. They found the female and decided they must kill the animal to find out if she had eaten the scientists, because they feared an international incident. They killed the female and cut open the bear's stomach and, sure enough, found the remains of the Russian.

One ranger turned to the other and said, "You know what this means, don't you?"

"Of course," the other ranger nodded. "The Czech is in the male."

+100 Internets you bastid.

KG4NEL
05-31-2015, 12:18 AM
My Yugo had a rear window defroster that worked surprisingly well. The only negative was the only defrosted part of the window was the hand prints from the people who pushed started it for you!

Having never seen one of these in person, my only question is...how much HP does the tire add?

Or is that the joke?

KG4NEL
05-31-2015, 12:19 AM
Granted, at least it's a full-size spare :spin: