PDA

View Full Version : This Is The Day To Remember

NM5TF
05-24-2015, 10:58 AM
today, while you are enjoying your hot dogs, burgers, & beer please take the time
to remember the reason we have these freedoms....

we have seen waaaaay too many of these in the last 50 or so years.....

KG4CGC
05-24-2015, 11:03 AM
We have.

NQ6U
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Time for all us regular people throughout the world to say “Enough!” to the elite who call on us to make the ultimate sacrifice for whatever serves their purpose rather than ours.

N7YA
05-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Im tired of commemorating our war dead. Not because i have a problem with them, per se, but for the reason Carl just gave. When you sell patriotism to kids, pump them up with talk of badassery, then equip them with destructive toys and send them to do goon work...it really fucks them up!

Today i honor the men and women who had to deal with situations that no human should ever have to deal with, but also those who come home to a country that strips their benefits, offers empty, mildly guilt-ridden and monotonous "Thank you for your service!"'es...but backs away from wanting to hear anything less than the feelgood, flag waving, eagle soaring bullshit, then the government/terrorist/mob bosses who sent them somehow redirects the money set aside to help these people when they need it most.

So, if we are honoring fallen soldiers, then we should honor ALL of them! Including the ones we were fighting against (because we are kicking THEIR door in and killing THEIR children in THEIR home), and the ones who came home damaged and blew their own brains out in the bathroom because of the inhumane and unnatural things they were ordered to do and see. All this glorification of war is pure bullshit! I dont see war as a half hour, saturday morning cartoon of heroes and villians. Its death and corruption. Thats all. A fucking spiritual wasteland rooted in evil, but packaged as holy and right.

I honor the victims, the ones who lost the battle on foreign and domestic soil. Mankind should really learn to be better house guests on this earth, we serve no real purpose, we seem to not realize this fact.

NQ6U
05-24-2015, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn91L9goKfQ

N7YA
05-25-2015, 04:41 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/06/are-politicians-too-dumb-to-understand-the-lyrics-to-born-in-the-usa.html

NM5TF
05-25-2015, 09:11 AM
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

N8YX
05-25-2015, 09:25 AM
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

NQ6U
05-25-2015, 09:27 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/06/are-politicians-too-dumb-to-understand-the-lyrics-to-born-in-the-usa.html

The answer to the question which Ms. Molloy asks is “Yes, they are too dumb.”

NQ6U
05-25-2015, 09:45 AM

Yes, but that's only because there are rough men who stand ready to do violence on the behalf of other people. The point of my first post in this thread is that all us rough men need to stand up and refuse to do violence on the behalf of anyone else.

suddenseer
05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Im tired of commemorating our war dead. Not because i have a problem with them, per se, but for the reason Carl just gave. When you sell patriotism to kids, pump them up with talk of badassery, then equip them with destructive toys and send them to do goon work...it really fucks them up!

Today i honor the men and women who had to deal with situations that no human should ever have to deal with, but also those who come home to a country that strips their benefits, offers empty, mildly guilt-ridden and monotonous "Thank you for your service!"'es...but backs away from wanting to hear anything less than the feelgood, flag waving, eagle soaring bullshit, then the government/terrorist/mob bosses who sent them somehow redirects the money set aside to help these people when they need it most.

So, if we are honoring fallen soldiers, then we should honor ALL of them! Including the ones we were fighting against (because we are kicking THEIR door in and killing THEIR children in THEIR home), and the ones who came home damaged and blew their own brains out in the bathroom because of the inhumane and unnatural things they were ordered to do and see. All this glorification of war is pure bullshit! I dont see war as a half hour, saturday morning cartoon of heroes and villians. Its death and corruption. Thats all. A fucking spiritual wasteland rooted in evil, but packaged as holy and right.

I honor the victims, the ones who lost the battle on foreign and domestic soil. Mankind should really learn to be better house guests on this earth, we serve no real purpose, we seem to not realize this fact.I cannot craft my thoughts into those words. Can I quote you?

N8YX
05-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Yes, but that's only because there are rough men who stand ready to do violence on the behalf of other people. The point of my first post in this thread is that all us rough men need to stand up and refuse to do violence on the behalf of anyone else.
Then you had better be prepared to act directly and on your own behalf, as some people never will subscribe to your world view...and will always seek to destroy you. Regardless of whether or not you stay out of their back yard.

Isolationism works to a point. As do expansionism and imperialism. Each doctrine carries with it unintended consequences along with strategic benefits.

Let us imagine a world...where the U.S. and her allies did nothing to stop the Axis powers. Discuss the outcomes.

(Hint: A good portion of us would probably not be alive.)

NQ6U
05-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Then you had better be prepared to act directly and on your own behalf, as some people never will subscribe to your world view...and will always seek to destroy you. Regardless of whether or not you stay out of their back yard.

Isolationism works to a point. As do expansionism and imperialism. Each doctrine carries with it unintended consequences along with strategic benefits.

Let us imagine a world...where the U.S. and her allies did nothing to stop the Axis powers. Discuss the outcomes.

(Hint: A good portion of us would probably not be alive.)

You‘ve totally missed the point I was trying to make.

Expansionism, imperialism and the rise of the Axis powers all have one thing in common: a horde of willing dupes ready to do the bidding of their authoritarian masters even though it does not benefit them whatsoever. If, instead, the members of those hordes had thought to themselves “Wait, is this really beneficial to me or my family?”, things might have gone much differently.

NM5TF
05-25-2015, 12:14 PM
"Let us imagine a world...where the U.S. and her allies did nothing to stop the Axis powers. Discuss the outcomes."

yes & we all would be speaking either German or Japanese....those of us alive & not
in the "re-education camps"......remember "Arbeit Macht Frei".......

N8YX
05-25-2015, 01:17 PM
You‘ve totally missed the point I was trying to make.

Expansionism, imperialism and the rise of the Axis powers all have one thing in common: a horde of willing dupes ready to do the bidding of their authoritarian masters even though it does not benefit them whatsoever. If, instead, the members of those hordes had thought to themselves “Wait, is this really beneficial to me or my family?”, things might have gone much differently.

Above a certain level of rank - that of the conscripted grunt and arguably the NCO - it is beneficial for a standing military officer and his or her family..."patriotism" excluded.

Ditto in the world of religious ideology driven conquest: If - through an act of war - I make the ultimate sacrifice and die while combatting infidels, my 72 virgins await. And the spoils for their earthly commanders and spiritual leaders are more plentiful yet.

How does one fight that mindset, particularly when it's driven by hate of all things they're not?

I'm a huge proponent of the MYOFB school of world affairs...but that approach does not and will not work 100% of the time, as history has often demonstrated throughout the millennia. Be as peaceable as you wish; that will not stop Mongols from overrunning your villages and killing or enslaving you.

Mongols (in a metaphorical sense) do not operate under the same pretenses as "civilized" people.

Thus:

NQ6U
05-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Above a certain level of rank - that of the conscripted grunt and arguably the NCO - it is beneficial for a standing military officer and his or her family..."patriotism" excluded.

Ditto in the world of religious ideology driven conquest: If - through an act of war - I make the ultimate sacrifice and die while combatting infidels, my 72 virgins await. And the spoils for their earthly commanders and spiritual leaders are more plentiful yet.

How does one fight that mindset, particularly when it's driven by hate of all things they're not?

I'm a huge proponent of the MYOFB school of world affairs...but that approach does not and will not work 100% of the time, as history has often demonstrated throughout the millennia. Be as peaceable as you wish; that will not stop Mongols from overrunning your villages and killing or enslaving you.

Mongols (in a metaphorical sense) do not operate under the same pretenses as "civilized" people.

Thus:

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13951&stc=1&d=1432577492

Shockingly conventional thinking. If everyone thought like that, humankind would be even worse off than we are right now.

WØTKX
05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Wow, just wow.

:cry:

NM5TF
05-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Wow, just wow.

:cry:

yeah, exactly.....

it's turning into the gun thread all over....:roll:

WØTKX
05-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Fuck.

I get 'BsO's incredulity to the whole thing. FWIW, we are still in the Garden of Eden, but humanity insists on shitting directly into the mouth of the demonized "other". Changing my avatar here may never happen again, FWIW. Humanity is inhumane in the extreme.

I'm just a dung beetle of the universe. Fucking grow up. Oh, wait, never mind. I'll just keep rolling a big ball of human dung, till I die. We are ALL diseased (St. George the Carlin). Imagine a world where Memorial Day remembers when we used to kill the other, just because it feels good.

K4PIH
05-25-2015, 10:27 PM

One of my favorite quotes.

N8YX
05-26-2015, 05:19 AM
Shockingly conventional thinking. If everyone thought like that, humankind would be even worse off than we are right now.
Defending one's self (or one's country) is "conventional thinking"? Go back and read what I wrote again.

My main gripe with the way our country handles foreign affairs is that we tend to get embroiled in too many localized conflicts - which leads to destabilization down the road. And further involves us.

My other point is: Damn the politicians before the soldiers. Leadership makes the current model attractive and continues its propagation.

The phrase "Lions led by jackasses" seems appropriate here.

NQ6U
05-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Defending one's self (or one's country) is "conventional thinking"? Go back and read what I wrote again.

Actually, I could say the same to you. You‘ve still not grasped the point of my original comment, which was not calling for a one-sided disarmament but one that was worldwide because warfare does not benefit the common man in any country.

My main gripe with the way our country handles foreign affairs is that we tend to get embroiled in too many localized conflicts - which leads to destabilization down the road. And further involves us.

And provides a convenient recruiting for a bunch of cynical people seeking worldly power: “jihad against the infidel”.

My other point is: Damn the politicians before the soldiers. Leadership makes the current model attractive and continues its propagation.

Ah, and this was exactly my point—next time the politicians tell us to go to war for them, we should just tell them to go fuck themselves while we go back to earning a living and taking care of our families.

N8YX
05-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Ah, and this was exactly my point—next time the politicians tell us to go to war for them, we should just tell them to go fuck themselves while we go back to earning a living and taking care of our families.

Better still:

Send them to fight wars of aggression or expansionism.

Defense of one's domicile/homeland is always going to get a pass; rightly so. "We" (the western world) can adopt a different paradigm when it comes to conflict...but how does one get the rest of the world to play along?

W5BRM
05-26-2015, 11:34 AM
One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

The rest of the world is already playing along...just not by the rules arrogantly set by western democracy.

NM5TF
05-26-2015, 11:57 AM
One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

The rest of the world is already playing along...just not by the rules arrogantly set by western PLUTOCRACIES/OLIGARCHIES.

fixed that for you...