PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Reason I'm Glad I Don't Fly

W5BRM
05-17-2015, 09:50 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11611058/Cybersecurity-researcher-made-plane-climb-after-hacking-in-flight-entertainment-system.html

While a lot of people think this may be overt bragging and didn't happen, who's to say it didn't. Just a matter of time if indeed it hasn't already happened... Malaysia 370 anyone??

PA5COR
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Still safer as driving a car.
But I rather take the car, step in at the front door and arrive there at the front door.
Most my trips in the plane were just short hops to the U.K. etc.
Before the time you needed to get 4 hours to the airport before the plane leaves, meaning a trip by car of 90 miles to the airport, expensive parking, waiting till you bleed out of your ears before you could board the plane after lots of seciurity stuff etc.
So, I limit destinations to what can be reached by car.

NQ6U
05-17-2015, 11:11 AM
This will probably turn out to be nothing more than an idle boast. Judging by what he is alleged to have written, it sounds like he has a pretty poor grasp of the basic fundamentals of how aircraft work.

K7SGJ
05-17-2015, 11:30 AM
This will probably turn out to be nothing more than an idle boast. Judging by what he is alleged to have written, it sounds like he has a pretty poor grasp of the basic fundamentals of how aircraft work.

The give a way was when he said he changed the pitch of the props from his seat.

KG4NEL
05-17-2015, 12:27 PM
The give a way was when he said he changed the pitch of the props from his seat.

Or lowered the nosegear on a DC-3.

kb2vxa
05-17-2015, 12:47 PM
"Judging by what he is alleged to have written, it sounds like he has a pretty poor grasp of the basic fundamentals of how aircraft work."

I agree totally, it's just a LITTLE farfetched to access flight control through the entertainment system, really. Here's the kicker:
"He stated that he successfully commanded the system he had accessed to issue the climb command. He stated that he thereby caused one of the aeroplane engines to climb resulting in a lateral or sideways movement of the plane during one of these flights,"
Climb command? How do you make an engine climb? Lateral movement no, a lateral turn yes, something tells me the reporter was just as mixed up as most of them. Who edits this shit? A sentence is supposed to end with a period, not a comma, someone was in a coma... comma comma comma comma chameleon...

Bottom line here, just another empty headed braggart who used his tongue as a shovel to dig his own grave and I for one wouldn't have given it a thought let alone publish an article about such nonsense. Then neither would I write for The London Daily Telegraph, now The Telegraph, the UK version of the (US) Weekly World News, now http://weeklyworldnews.com/ ugh.

VE7DCW
05-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Are they still trying to establish the existence of Bat boy? I thought the Weekly World News had made that fact perfectly clear! :yes:

K0RGR
05-17-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't know, there has been a lot of speculation lately that just this kind of thing might be possible, with some apparently serious people raising the concern and the airlines denying it. The firewall between flight systems and the entertainment systems have been suspect for some time.

K7SGJ
05-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Are they still trying to establish the existence of Bat boy? I thought the Weekly World News had made that fact perfectly clear! :yes:

I heard he was working at a Tim Hortons up your way. I won't even tell you how he puts that hole in the middle of them.

VE7DCW
05-17-2015, 09:45 PM
I heard he was working at a Tim Hortons up your way. I won't even tell you how he puts that hole in the middle of them.

Tim Hortons now owned by Burger King...... really,'nuff said right there! :yes:

W5BRM
05-17-2015, 10:15 PM

We all know it's done by strapping one to ones rear end and sitting on the terlit and....

well you know....

KG4CGC
05-17-2015, 11:19 PM
Talk to a bumble bee.

NQ6U
05-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Talk to a bumble bee.

I tried that once. She said she was beezy and told me to buzz off.

WØTKX
05-17-2015, 11:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

K7SGJ
05-18-2015, 09:43 AM
I tried that once. She said she was beezy and told me to buzz off.

Sounds like she thought she was a queen, but then, that's what happens when guys swarm around someone like that.

NQ6U
05-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Sounds like she thought she was a queen, but then, that's what happens when guys swarm around someone like that.

The very idea makes me break out in hives.

K7SGJ
05-18-2015, 09:53 AM
The very idea makes me break out in hives.

Settle down, honey.

suddenseer
05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Bee healthy, eat your honey.

NQ6U
05-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Settle down, honey.

Instead, I will wax poetic.

K7SGJ
05-18-2015, 11:55 AM
For that I will give you a 7, and Paul an 8.

n2ize
05-19-2015, 05:58 PM
You got that right. Read this a week or two ago and it sounds like a hacker inflating his ego

suddenseer
05-19-2015, 08:36 PM
You should fear flying. I often inspect aerospace parts with a really bad hangover. Ship them fuckers, or fuck them shippers!