PDA

View Full Version : 4 - 5 - 4

W3WN
05-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Holy smokes.

The boss & I just got back from the ballgame.

Now, those of you not into sports, or not into baseball, won't get this. I won't take it personally.

What's one of the rarest and most dramatic plays in baseball? The triple play.

I've never seen one live & in person. Until tonight.

The Pirates turned one tonight. Boy, did they.

Two men on for St. Louis, on 2nd & 3rd base. Nobody out. No score. The Pirates starting pitcher struggling with his control.

Molina hits a line drive which is snared out of the air by Neil Walker, the 2nd baseman. Out #1. Neil throws to 3rd; the runner had broken for the plate when the ball was hit, didn't make it back in time. Force out. Out #2. The runner who'd been on 2nd had broken for 3rd when the ball was hit... he was almost at 3rd, so he tried to get back. Kang, the 3rd baseman tonight... who is the first player from South Korea playing at the MLB level, incidentally... throws the ball back to Neil. Force out. Out #3, inning over.

A triple play. Against the (currently) team with the best record in baseball. Wow.

Those of you who know scoring, this was a 4-5-4 triple play. The first ever 4-5-4 triple play in MLB history.

And I got to see it, live & in person. So did the Boss. The only sad note, Little Miss Field Day stayed home (she has a slight cold) and had dozed off on the couch, so she missed it! Fortunately, the local sports channel is replaying the game at midnight, so she will get to see it after all.

ESPN has a video clip of it as part of the game coverage here...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12855869/pittsburgh-pirates-turn-triple-play-vs-st-louis-cardinals

Oh, yes... the Pirates won the game. Neil hit a dramatic home run (just after the scoreboard posted that he was leading all MLB 2nd basemen in HR's since 2013, ironically enough) and basically did well. The Zambelli fireworks show after the game was that much nicer.

NQ6U
05-10-2015, 06:16 AM
Kewl! One of my favorite things to watch in baseball is a well-turned double play, so I can imagine how exciting it was to see a triple play. I've never even seen one of those on live TV.

W2NAP
05-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Kewl! One of my favorite things to watch in baseball is a well-turned double play, so I can imagine how exciting it was to see a triple play. I've never even seen one of those on live TV.

nether have I, man it has to be really damn cool to watch a MLB 1st ever.

kb2vxa
05-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Biesbol getting better all the time! You could just see it in his body language as they ran him down, "AAAaaawww shit, I'm boned." It must be really something to see it live right there in front of you, makes me jeeluus.