PDA

View Full Version : Buddipole FUN!

WX7P
05-03-2015, 02:06 AM
I just got done working about an hour and a half of the 7QP contest with a Buddipole I bought about 13 years ago and have never really used until now.

My Buddipole has the 18' foot mast which I set up in the backyard. I had been using it to talk to my friend in the SF Bay Area on 40 in the early evening hours. I've been throwing about 300 watts into it (thanks Ron!) and N6LDP can hear me in the Bay Area.

Since it was already set up on 40, I thought I'd try the contest. Worked just about everywhere with this antenna. The condx were OK, not great, but I worked the east coast no problem. I couldn't believe how well it worked.

These things show up for cheap now and then. N6LDP just got a complete Buddipole (with the 9' foot mast) unused for $100 off Craigslist.

If you can get one cheap, buy it. It's easy to set up and I can get mine tuned 1:1 without a tuner on most bands.

w2amr
05-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Sounds like fun, I'll check it out.

N8YX
05-04-2015, 04:53 PM
I have a bunch of sectional masts that I use for Field Day - but a Buddipole looks like it would be the hot ticket for a DXpedition. How to fit the Deluxe model, my TS-660 and a PS-20 into some carry-on luggage...hmmm...

WØTKX
05-06-2015, 08:29 PM
I made my own "buddipole" a few years ago, using a "T" of sturdy pvc, and ran the coax down the support pipe. Usually used it as a vertical on 20 or 40, and SWL when I was very antenna restricted. Pretty OK on RX, but I mostly ran PSK and a little CW during that time. Later, it was fired up with 75 meter hamsticks as a effective "sense" antenna for my MFJ-1026 noise canceller, when I was running a big HF loop in Very Urban Denver...

Used the DIY buddipole camping a few times, but now I usually deploy a dipole in the trees in less than an hour with my antenna launcher cannon.