PDA

View Full Version : Echo link...can I ?

2W0IWM
05-02-2015, 03:42 PM
This is probably a silly question, but I'm a little confused by the licensing involved. I'm having a moment of "no radio blues" stuck here in Brazil, so in a eureka moment I thought ok, I will see if there are any radio apps for the iPad. Two minutes later, I've found echo ink and installed it, authenticated my call by the next morning, and was ready to go.

Just before playing for the first time, a question came to mind. Is it legal for me to operate under my 2W0 UK intermediate callsign from outside of the UK? Although this is technically VOIP and not transmitting from a radio, I'm unsure of my standing. Anyone know the deal on this? Can I play or will I contravene the terms of my license.

koØm
05-02-2015, 05:51 PM
This is probably a silly question, but I'm a little confused by the licensing involved. I'm having a moment of "no radio blues" stuck here in Brazil, so in a eureka moment I thought ok, I will see if there are any radio apps for the iPad. Two minutes later, I've found echo ink and installed it, authenticated my call by the next morning, and was ready to go.

Just before playing for the first time, a question came to mind. Is it legal for me to operate under my 2W0 UK intermediate callsign from outside of the UK? Although this is technically VOIP and not transmitting from a radio, I'm unsure of my standing. Anyone know the deal on this? Can I play or will I contravene the terms of my license.

The following guidelines are followed for all stations requesting access to the EchoLink® system. These guidelines have been established to help ensure legal, courteous enjoyment of the system by every station. Every effort is made to apply these policies universally and fairly.
Although EchoLink is offered free of charge, please keep in mind that it is a privately-operated system. All EchoLink users are guests on the system, and are being permitted the use of it in exchange for following these guidelines.

Access is granted only to licensed Amateur Radio operators holding a CEPT Class 2 license, or equivalent. Each new user must provide proof of license before access is granted, using any of several available Validation methods. Please see Authentication (http://echolink.org/authentication.htm) and Validation Documents (http://echolink.org/validation_docs.htm) for more information.
No "SWL" (listen-only) access is permitted. EchoLink is a two-way system by design, and there is no mechanism to validate listen-only stations.
Sysop validations (i.e. -L/-R suffixes) are granted only to licensees whose class of license permits operation of an Internet voice gateway. However, it is the licensee's responsibility to ensure that any additional permits or authorizations are obtained if required by the governing authorities.
Stations operating in Sysop mode may interconnect EchoLink only with equipment operating on Amateur frequencies. EchoLink does not permit use of the system with other services such as GMRS, FRS, or MARS. For security reasons, it is also not permitted to interconnect EchoLink with other VoIP systems that support direct access from a computer.
Stations which use the system are expected to abide by common courtesy and generally-accepted operating practices. Access privileges will be withdrawn for stations which operate with malicious intent, blatant disregard for international Amateur Radio regulations, or impersonation of another station.
When based upon complaints from several other users, repeated incidents of rude, threatening, or vulgar remarks from a particular station will not be tolerated, and is considered grounds for withdrawal of access privileges. This policy applies to any transmissions from a station, including those received over an RF link. Rude or threatening remarks directed at members of the volunteer support team will also not be tolerated.
Once validated, a station must not share or "lend" its password to another station, particularly to an individual who is not licensed. In addition, any user who tries to present forged documents for validation, or documents obtained without permission, will be permanently barred.
Please use only your permanent, fixed-station callsign to log in. Avoid using portable designators (e.g., K1RFD/2 or PY2/K1RFD), or temporary, special-event, or commemorative callsigns; these callsigns will not be validated. This helps keep the callsign database to a manageable size. Think of your EchoLink callsign as a user name on the system, which is not necessarily the same as you would use to identify yourself on the air.
If you hold multiple callsigns, please request validation of only one callsign for EchoLink. As a rule, we will not validate more than one basic callsign per user in Single-User mode. This holds true even if you travel from one country to another and hold callsigns in each country -- please use only one callsign with EchoLink, even while traveling.
Club and repeater callsigns must be used for RF links (Sysop mode) only. EchoLink will not validate a club or repeater callsign for use in single-user mode.
The "addressing servers" are designed to be accessed by EchoLink software only. For the sake of system security and stability, any other access requires the permission of the server administrator.
Conference servers (with callsigns beginning and ending with an asterisk) have a specific set of access policies. Please see Conference Servers (http://echolink.org/conf.htm).
Although every effort will be made to apply these policies universally and fairly, the EchoLink Support staff reserves the right to withdraw a station's access privileges at any time, without notice. EchoLink is a privately owned and operated system that has no connection with, and is not governed by, any radio licensing authority.

I think that you are safe.

http://echolink.org/access_policies.htm

ETA: https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/28990-My-First-Meaningful-QSO

2W0IWM
05-03-2015, 07:22 PM
I think it's safe, as long as I am connecting to one of the UK repeaters. I think... There seems to be a little confusion on this topic in the UK too. Technically, I would need the full UK license to have the equivalent of the CEPT license for operating outside of the UK. Many thanks for your reply ko0m.

K0RGR
05-04-2015, 04:03 PM
It doesn't matter where you are - you are not the control operator of the EchoLink node on the other end. You would be a third party, though as a licensed amateur who is capable of being a control operator at the other end, you are not a third party, either.