PDA

View Full Version : Damn Windows 8 won't upgrade to 8.1

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 08:19 PM
I know many radio amateurs are also pretty savvy when it comes to computing, so I'm wondering if anyone on the island can help me out.

I have have a Dell Alienware M17 r5 that came pre installed with Windows 8 just before the 8.1 launch. I have tried many times to update with the free upgrade link from the desktop, but every time, it downloads the 3.6gb file and then goes through the installation, only to resort back to windows 8 and tell me it has a problem.

The code I get after the failed install tells me there are updates not installed. I've installed everything I can think of. Hidden, non priority, priority... I'm at a loss. Without windows 8.1, Im having issues with some software feature I use for work, plus, being honest, I'd like the option of trying windows 10 when they give it away...

I've even put the original graphics card back in it, same result.

losing sanity.... Help

WØTKX
04-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Maybe this? http://www.askvg.com/fix-your-windows-8-1-install-couldnt-be-completed-something-happened-error-message/

I know you said you've done the updates, but...

I'm still running 7 Pro, for now.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Thankfully, the slightly older machine is still on win 7 and not a problem with that one. The Dell came with Win 8 and while it's a good machine, it's a pain in the ass. Constant nagging with reminder messages "upgrade to windows 8.1 for free" etc... But I CANT!

Lots of info in that link. Some I've seen before, other bits are new. Things to try tomorrow then. One interesting comment Ive just read in there says that it's not just the windows updates, but OEM drivers etc too that have to be up to date. I didn't know that. My graphics driver is probably out of date and I'd imagine there are a few updates via the Dell website too. Hmm. Things to mull over. Great find. Thank you.

W5BRM
04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Might try wiping and factory reset windows 8 to default? Maybe something borked in updates and could get fixed with a fresh install and new updates from Dell and MS

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Hi AF5TY,

I actually tried that after having problems with the Nvidia graphics driver and blue screening the machine a number of times. While it was fresh from one of the factory re installations, I tried it then. Same thing. Updated everything on the system (no additional software)... Nada. I've been on and off playing this game for many months now, thus my cry for assistance lol

Ian

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:41 PM
A couple of things I had to do to make it work was to be certain I had all the virus programs turned off and the firewall off during the download and up grade. Like you, I also had a link to follow, and it had issues. So I ended up going directly to the Microsoft site and found the upgrade download there, and used it. After the download and install, I turned the firewall and virus protection back on, and haven't had any problems since. The platform seems very stable and I only have one third party program that won't work right with it. Good luck. These stupid things can be frustrating as all hell.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
I feel a little more confident that it's solvable now at least. Few new things to try as suggested here. Update everything including third party drivers, then it's disable firewall, virus software etc, kill everything that's not a windows application and finally try again.

I went to the MS site earlier, found the ISO image as advised by a friend and downloaded that... But the ISO will only install if you have a valid key for 8.1 according to the Microsoft info. Annoyed! What's wrong with the 8.0 key I already have. Dammit!

I have to admit to still having this awful gut feeling that I'm going to get it to install and end up with a screwed machine.

Bring back WINDOWS 98. I note MS made a big fuss over this being free for everyone, but it's not if your on win 8? You have to upgrade to 8.1, then upgrade that with another update... If your stuck on win 8, I guess it's tough luck?

so so tempted to go MAC at moments like this.

NQ6U
04-30-2015, 06:36 AM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/how-to.jpg

2W0IWM
04-30-2015, 07:01 AM
I agree totally, but I don't want to damage the face of my hammers.

What at about this as an alternative?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7MrXKL1cE

quick edit: please convince the UK government that we need the right to bear arms and reactive targets... Sigh. You guys get all the fun stuff.

koØm
04-30-2015, 07:37 AM
I feel a little more confident that it's solvable now at least. Few new things to try as suggested here. Update everything including third party drivers, then it's disable firewall, virus software etc, kill everything that's not a windows application and finally try again.

I went to the MS site earlier, found the ISO image as advised by a friend and downloaded that... But the ISO will only install if you have a valid key for 8.1 according to the Microsoft info. Annoyed! What's wrong with the 8.0 key I already have. Dammit!

I have to admit to still having this awful gut feeling that I'm going to get it to install and end up with a screwed machine.

Bring back WINDOWS 98. I note MS made a big fuss over this being free for everyone, but it's not if your on win 8? You have to upgrade to 8.1, then upgrade that with another update... If your stuck on win 8, I guess it's tough luck?

so so tempted to go MAC at moments like this.

Have you tried the "Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor Utility"; it gives some insight. It told me that my Windows 7 machine needed 8.1 but, from Vista, I needed to go with the 8.0.

Windows, go figure.

W3WN
04-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I know many radio amateurs are also pretty savvy when it comes to computing, so I'm wondering if anyone on the island can help me out.

I have have a Dell Alienware M17 r5 that came pre installed with Windows 8 just before the 8.1 launch. I have tried many times to update with the free upgrade link from the desktop, but every time, it downloads the 3.6gb file and then goes through the installation, only to resort back to windows 8 and tell me it has a problem.

The code I get after the failed install tells me there are updates not installed. I've installed everything I can think of. Hidden, non priority, priority... I'm at a loss. Without windows 8.1, Im having issues with some software feature I use for work, plus, being honest, I'd like the option of trying windows 10 when they give it away...

I've even put the original graphics card back in it, same result.

losing sanity.... HelpHave you contacted Dell?

K4PIH
04-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Dump Windblows and go with a Linux build. The new Ubuntu is really nice and will run like a banshee on that Alienware system.

2W0IWM
04-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Dell pointed me to their help system, and then suggested that I might pay them to extend my warranty. I'm not overly impressed with the service given the cost of the machine. The system itself is excellent and well built (yep, had to strip it to install more RAM for rendering). I might try them again if I get no joy. Perhaps I will be lucky with different advisors.

I've thought about Linux a couple of times, but I don't know enough about the operating systems to know if they will support the software I use for work, such as Solidworks, AutoCad, 3DsMax etc, or how I would find drivers for the on board devices?

KG4NEL
04-30-2015, 11:15 AM
7 Pro fo lyfe

W3WN
04-30-2015, 01:11 PM
OK

See if Dell will sell you the Windows 8.1 OEM DVD for your machine. If they won't, or the cost his too high, check with others who have similar Dell machines, and see if you can borrow or make a copy of a Dell Windows 8.1 OEM DVD.

Then, AFTER making a full backup in the event of a catastrophe, install Windows 8.1 from the Dell OEM DVD.

Better yet, use this as an excuse to replace your hard drive with an SSD and/or larger capacity one. Make the new drive your boot (C: ) driver, the old one a temporary D: (or whatever driver letter suits you) drive. Install a clean copy of 8.1 on the new drive, reinstall your apps, and then just copy your data over.

[[ I just did this on a Dell Optiplex 760 I obtained, to replace the shack computer (and older Dell Optiplex 360, running XP, MFB failure). After installing Win 7 Professional from DVD on the new machine, I simply copied my data over from the old drive to the new. ]]

K7SGJ
04-30-2015, 03:20 PM
I have some MS DOS 1.1 disks if that will help.

2W0IWM
04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
I think I still have a set of DOS disks back home somewhere. I'm pretty sure I have my old 286 pic bits too... Sigh, simpler times.

KG4NEL, I agree totally. The other machine here is running Win 7 and that is how it is going to stay. Am I right in thinking that Win 7 users get the Win 10 update directly if wanted, but Win 8 users have to struggle updating to Win 8.1 to get the toys? so help me....

W3WN, good advice. It may come to this if I have no joy over the next couple of days. Primary drive is an SSD, with an M2 drive acting as a cache drive. Secondry drive is a hybrid HDD. I'm considering taking out the optical drive and installing a third HDD (I don't use discs much any more).

Ive downloaded a copy of the win 8.1 ISO from Microsoft, but apparently I can't use my legit Win 8 key, even though it's an upgrade on their advice. It's tempting to just use one of the windows activators to make this copy work until Win 10 comes out, as Microsoft have already stated that even the Pirates get upgraded for free.

I do know that fixed and updated or not, I will be building a desktop once I get home to the UK... Ok, off to the cave to try to get this lappy to play.

Ian

WØTKX
04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Wow Ian. I love 3D modeling, beat up on AutoCAD for years, was a certified trainer when they finally went tru-3d (thickness sucks). Early 3ds Max beta tester and later taught that too. Alas, I'm out of that biz. Did a ton of CNC software training too. Dabbling with rendering and such is why I stick with AMD hardware designed for rendering.

I like to play around with Blender when I have the time. Quirky interface.

K7SGJ
04-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Wow Ian. I love 3D modeling, beat up on AutoCAD for years, was a certified trainer when they finally went tru-3d (thickness sucks). Early 3ds Max beta tester and later taught that too. Alas, I'm out of that biz. Did a ton of CNC software training too. Dabbling with rendering and such is why I stick with AMD hardware designed for rendering.

I like to play around with Blender when I have the time. Quirky interface.

How bout making me a smoothie with that there blender.

2W0IWM
05-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Managed to get down to experimenting with the Dell today. So far, it's computer 4, Ian 0... Few beers are going to be consumed to ease the pain, then it's back to try a few new things.

So far, I've updated software and drivers.
updated windows inc hidden updates. Total of three separate attempts to pack them all in as it keeps finding new things.
Updated graphics and motherboard drivers, plus a recent BIOS update that was available.
Shut down anti virus during install... Closed all running background apps.... Ideas are running short.

Ive also downloaded a copy of win 8.1 pro and I might be forced to try that by then end of the day. It will be shameful if I can't legitimately update via Microsoft! Note. They copy is an ISO from Microsofts own website, Not a pirate. The key however... Well... My win 8 key is real. Lol

just a thought. When I bought this machine, I had the primary drive upgraded to an SSD. Could this be causing a problem? I ask this as I've been told that when windows installs, it reports the hardware configuration of the machine it's installed on. The machine was built with a HDD as the primary, then upgraded by Dell to an SSD with the software image then being re installed onto the new drive. Is it possible that Microsoft or windows are looking for the blooming ORIGNAL hardware configuration? I clutching at straws here.... Might just bite the bullet, download all the systems files from Dell and install a new image of win 8.1 first as last. I'll have to put all of the work software back on, but by this point, it would have probably have saved time.

Roll on returning to the UK and building a new desktop... Oh and a shack of course :) planning to use the laptop for radio use then.

More later chaps :)

2W0IWM
05-02-2015, 12:12 PM
W0TKX, can you please check to see if my message reached you ok? I'm wondering if the system is working, as I've sent a few to people, but no replies? :/

thanks ian

K7SGJ
05-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Managed to get down to experimenting with the Dell today. So far, it's computer 4, Ian 0... Few beers are going to be consumed to ease the pain, then it's back to try a few new things.

So far, I've updated software and drivers.
updated windows inc hidden updates. Total of three separate attempts to pack them all in as it keeps finding new things.
Updated graphics and motherboard drivers, plus a recent BIOS update that was available.
Shut down anti virus during install... Closed all running background apps.... Ideas are running short.

Ive also downloaded a copy of win 8.1 pro and I might be forced to try that by then end of the day. It will be shameful if I can't legitimately update via Microsoft! Note. They copy is an ISO from Microsofts own website, Not a pirate. The key however... Well... My win 8 key is real. Lol

just a thought. When I bought this machine, I had the primary drive upgraded to an SSD. Could this be causing a problem? I ask this as I've been told that when windows installs, it reports the hardware configuration of the machine it's installed on. The machine was built with a HDD as the primary, then upgraded by Dell to an SSD with the software image then being re installed onto the new drive. Is it possible that Microsoft or windows are looking for the blooming ORIGNAL hardware configuration? I clutching at straws here.... Might just bite the bullet, download all the systems files from Dell and install a new image of win 8.1 first as last. I'll have to put all of the work software back on, but by this point, it would have probably have saved time.

Roll on returning to the UK and building a new desktop... Oh and a shack of course :) planning to use the laptop for radio use then.

More later chaps :)

That may well indeed be the problem. My HP upgraded to 8.1 no problem with the OEM drive in it. This one can run two drives, so I decided to put the OS on a SSD as the primary, and move the original drive to secondary to use as a data drive. I could not get Windows to load on the SSD to save my ass. I called HP, and after many calls and email exchanges, it was decided that the firmware wouldn't allow you to do it. I couldn't even change the size of the primary drive with a bigger SATA and load the OS. Evidently, everything is embedded in a chip somewhere that knows what drive should be in the computer and if is different, it usually won't allow a change. It also has the OS key there instead of in a hidden file and may not allow an upgrade to the OS. So, after much frustration and aggravation, I ended up just buying a new copy of 8.1 Pro and installed that. It loaded and worked without issue. It has done all the updates without issue. The good/bad thing is, no bloatware, but being different from the OEM recovery disk, I had to go try to find and manually load the drivers for the computer. It wasn't too bad, other than two or three files I couldn't find because the Windows device screen called them something other than what HP did. I even tried deleting the driver in device manager and rebooted so the machine would go try to find the right driver, no joy. Eventually, I managed to find them all and get the thing going like it should. As I recall, one of the files was for the ACPI driver. I still have one file that has the yellow triangle with the ! in it for HD audio device. I have tried everything I can think of and tried many audio files from HP with no luck. So far, the audio seems to be okay so I don't know what's up with that. One thing I used to do when I did a lot of computer work, was I joined Driverguide and used their auto scan program. It always found the files the computer needed, and it was fast and efficient. My membership has since lapsed and for one file isn't worth the cost and effort to rejoin. I have tried the HP program that scans the computer to see what drivers are needed, but it never finds this one.

Anyway, don't make yourself crazy. I know it's sounds stupid to spend a $100 on the MS 8.1 OS when you already have a copy that came with the computer, but for me, it was worth it so I could move on to other things and quit spending so much nonproductive time trying to make the original OS work.