PDA

View Full Version : Spring in the Frozen Tundra

K0RGR
04-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Well, we have critter issues here, this week, too. I haven't got a picture of this winged varmint yet, but I've had a stare down contest with him several times already, and it hasn't phased the little bugger one little bit.

For the last three days, we've had an enormous male robin beating on our windows, starting shortly before sunrise, and going all day. Don't think of the cute little worm hunter you usually see this time of year. This is a snarling little beast with vengeance in it's eyes.

Shooing him away works for about 20 minutes, and then, he's back again. We thought he was seeing himself in the windows, and attacking what he thinks is another male robin in his territory, but if so, he has a screw loose. I opened the curtains and turned on the lamp inside and stood there watching him. No effect. When I chase him away from the windows, I can hear him hitting the side of the house, instead.

My wife took some of her knitting yarn and hung that in the windows. So far, it has slowed him down, but every so often, I still hear a 'thunk'. I went out and bought some big shiny stars that I'm going to tape to the windows. They are red stars, which will probably confirm the neighbor's suspicions that we are really communists over here.

We found out our neighbor has nets over his window because he's had this problem in the past. Last year, we had a female robin that insisted on making nests on our front porch. We'd move the nest, and the next day, there would be another one! This went on for several days. These birds are persistent!

We have many other kinds of birds around here, and they are mostly benign. There is a woodpecker I'm going to shoot someday because he likes the side of my house, too. But other than that, they are actually beneficial. The bluejays keep the undesirables out (though some consider the jays to be undesirables). But these robins must have the killer instinct! When you see one from now on, realize that he is quietly plotting your death!

WØTKX
04-28-2015, 02:29 PM
We get a foot or more of snow, then it melts.

It's a common cycle in the spring.

But it started in Feb this year. :shock:

K7SGJ
04-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, we have critter issues here, this week, too. I haven't got a picture of this winged varmint yet, but I've had a stare down contest with him several times already, and it hasn't phased the little bugger one little bit.

For the last three days, we've had an enormous male robin beating on our windows, starting shortly before sunrise, and going all day. Don't think of the cute little worm hunter you usually see this time of year. This is a snarling little beast with vengeance in it's eyes.

Shooing him away works for about 20 minutes, and then, he's back again. We thought he was seeing himself in the windows, and attacking what he thinks is another male robin in his territory, but if so, he has a screw loose. I opened the curtains and turned on the lamp inside and stood there watching him. No effect. When I chase him away from the windows, I can hear him hitting the side of the house, instead.

My wife took some of her knitting yarn and hung that in the windows. So far, it has slowed him down, but every so often, I still hear a 'thunk'. I went out and bought some big shiny stars that I'm going to tape to the windows. They are red stars, which will probably confirm the neighbor's suspicions that we are really communists over here.

We found out our neighbor has nets over his window because he's had this problem in the past. Last year, we had a female robin that insisted on making nests on our front porch. We'd move the nest, and the next day, there would be another one! This went on for several days. These birds are persistent!

We have many other kinds of birds around here, and they are mostly benign. There is a woodpecker I'm going to shoot someday because he likes the side of my house, too. But other than that, they are actually beneficial. The bluejays keep the undesirables out (though some consider the jays to be undesirables). But these robins must have the killer instinct! When you see one from now on, realize that he is quietly plotting your death!

Tape a big picture of a cat on the window.

K4PIH
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM
I use the proven 177 cal topographically applied cone shaped projectile.

W3WN
04-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Isn't "frozen tundra" by definition redundant?

K7SGJ
04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Not if it's a Toyota Tundra in Arizona, like mine.

KG4CGC
04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeah. Them Toyoter Tunders are good trucks.

WØTKX
04-29-2015, 07:59 AM

Alpine tundra does not require permafrost to be considered tundra, so no.

https://summitvoice.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/convert.jpg

N8YX
04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
There is a woodpecker I'm going to shoot someday because he likes the side of my house, too.

That woodpecker is your friend. He's trying to tell you something about wood-burrowing critters.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:56 AM
That woodpecker is your friend. He's trying to tell you something about wood-burrowing critters.

Tell that to the dumb little shit banging away on the metal power pole in the street. All I can say is that has to be hard on the pecker. You'll never see a Bushtit do that.

N8YX
04-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Tell that to the dumb little shit banging away on the metal power pole in the street. All I can say is that has to be hard on the pecker. You'll never see a Bushtit do that.

As with humans, not all birds can be "rocket scientists". Some of them don't even make it to missile technician.

K0RGR
04-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Here's a video of the little creep in action -
https://youtu.be/FRx4oLLbpcc

You know it's a bad day when you wake up hearing your wife shout "You little f...er" and you are not little, and you know she isn't cheating on you.

The red stars did no good, indeed, I think they antagonized it.

I bet the neighbors were on the phone early this morning ..."hello 9-1-1? There's a crazy man in his bathrobe cursing at a bush and throwing things...".

Plastic bag over the window stopped it there, now the little turd bird has moved to a different window! Fortunately, I have some coax cables dangling off the roof there that interfere with him.

N8YX
04-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Needs moar cats. Mine would catch the thing, bring it in the house and turn their new R/C airplane loose, I'm afraid.

koØm
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Here's a video of the little creep in action -
https://youtu.be/FRx4oLLbpcc

You know it's a bad day when you wake up hearing your wife shout "You little f...er" and you are not little, and you know she isn't cheating on you.

The red stars did no good, indeed, I think they antagonized it.

I bet the neighbors were on the phone early this morning ..."hello 9-1-1? There's a crazy man in his bathrobe cursing at a bush and throwing things...".

Plastic bag over the window stopped it there, now the little turd bird has moved to a different window! Fortunately, I have some coax cables dangling off the roof there that interfere with him.

Cut the tree back, take away his launching pad/perch.

W5BRM
04-29-2015, 06:01 PM
SHOTGUN!! Turn him to feathers and ooze...

Seriously though, i agree about pruning the bush or tree branch.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 06:42 PM
When it gets dark out, go around to your neighbors houses, and fill their window sills with wild bird seed.

w0aew
04-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Open the window.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Open the window.

FTW

N8YX
04-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Open the window.

K0RGR
04-30-2015, 07:28 PM
We tried opening the window, and that helped, but it's cold around here in the morning. The bag over the window stopped his attacks there, but the ones on the back window have increased now. He figured out how to use my coax to launch his attacks. The wife has wanted a rose trellis to hide my coax for a long time, anyway, so I think we're going to put up two trellises this weekend in front of the window and the coax. That should at least eliminate some of his opportunities.

I spotted where he hides out when he's not dive bombing us. We're both ready to say bye bye, birdie. I can't use firearms here, but I do have a really good spud gun.

Last year, we had a female robin that kept making nests on top of our newspaper box. Every evening, we'd discover a new nest. Rather than destroy the nest, we just moved them a few feet to get them off the box. The next day - a whole new nest! This went of for several days. I finally put something on top of the box so the bird couldn't build a nest there and destroyed the other nests. I suspect this male bird is one of the offspring of that demented female last year.

KG4CGC
04-30-2015, 09:06 PM
I found birdshit on my grill left front wheel! WTF?

wa6mhz
05-01-2015, 08:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkhJ1xqw2o

K0RGR
05-01-2015, 02:40 PM
OK, now I'm visualizing the &^%$%^ robin bobbing in the river...

Actually, today he left us alone. I've heard a couple brief hits, but nothing sustained. I figure he either killed himself, and is laying out in the yard somewhere with a broken neck, or he finally found a mate and is busy with other things.

w0aew
05-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Maybe he finally took a good look in that window?

WØTKX
05-01-2015, 08:19 PM
The hummingbirds are back! :dance:

Hungry little buggers...

NA4BH
05-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Maybe he finally took a good look in that window?

I LOLed. All the bird saw was "NAKED". Damn, what a way to go.

KG4CGC
05-02-2015, 11:13 PM
The frogs are making tadpoles.

NA4BH
05-02-2015, 11:54 PM
The frogs are making tadpoles.

It's their God given right.

K7SGJ
05-03-2015, 12:06 PM
I heard tadpoles were antennas that would compete with buddipoles.

I wonder how you would tuna tadpole?

NQ6U
05-03-2015, 12:13 PM
I heard tadpoles were antennas that would compete with buddipoles.

No, a tadpole is someone for whom people from Poland make up only a small part of their ancestry.

K7SGJ
05-03-2015, 12:21 PM
No, a tadpole is someone for whom people from Poland make up only a small part of their ancestry.

Hence the expression "I wouldn't touch that with a 10 inch tadpole"?

NQ6U
05-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Hence the expression "I wouldn't touch that with a 10 inch tadpole"?

And the response “And I wouldn't touch it with a six foot Czech.”

kb2vxa
05-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Then there is reverse order: I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot Pole or a Hungarian midget.

K7SGJ
05-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Then there is reverse order: .I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot Pole or a Hungarian midget

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot Pole or a Hungarian little person. Gotta be PC, don't ya know.

kb2vxa
05-04-2015, 09:11 AM
To me PC is a personal computer and it's going to stay that way. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

K7SGJ
05-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Ya non-midget bastid