PDA

View Full Version : My First Meaningful QSO

koØm
04-24-2015, 08:09 PM
With Echolink using "Skin Effect".

With the Echolink app loaded on my phone, a RF signal skinned it's way to the cell tower and from there, by FM (fuggin' Magic) the signaled skinned it's way thru space to the W2IBC repeater and Tony and I had a brief exchange.

Does this count as a contact for eQSL.cc and LoTW?

KJ3N
04-24-2015, 09:16 PM

With the Echolink app loaded on my phone, a RF signal skinned it's way to the cell tower and from there, by FM (fuggin' Magic) the signaled skinned it's way thru space to the W2IBC repeater and Tony and I had a brief exchange.

Does this count as a contact for eQSL.cc and LoTW?

Not that I'm aware of.

NA4BH
04-24-2015, 09:20 PM
I concur, I don't think so.

koØm
04-24-2015, 10:06 PM
....Naw, so you guys are telling me that the RF link from my phone, handed off to the Cloud from the cell tower; switched and routed to Tony and his 440 machine doesn't count for sumthin?

I'm heart broken.

w0aew
04-25-2015, 06:48 AM
It's all RF.

https://www.ratfink.com/images-pm/rat-fink.gif

n0iu
04-25-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm heart broken.

You'll get over it.

K0RGR
04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
I used to confirm my Echolink contacts on eQSL - I figured a virtual QSO deserved a virtual QSL card, but too many people take eQSL seriously...

WØTKX
04-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Hrm. So Tony's link is back up and stuff and stuff?

A few of us used it a ways back.

Was fun. Islander Party.

W3WN
04-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Does this count as a contact for eQSL.cc and LoTW?Sure it does. As long as you both upload the contact to the appropriate system.

It won't qualify under WAS or DXCC rules, but that wasn't your question.

KJ3N
04-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Sure it does. As long as you both upload the contact to the appropriate system.

Can't speak to LoTW, but eQSL doesn't have an entry for Echolink. At least not directly. The closest choices I could find in the system are DIGITALVOICE and VOI (which I assume is short for VOIP).

It won't qualify under WAS or DXCC rules, but that wasn't your question.

That's true for both systems, AFAIK.

N8YX
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't think I've ever had a meaningful conversation whilst on the air with my amateur gear but I have had a lot of fun kibbutzing about absolutely nothing. Island rag chews are always enjoyable, regardless of participant identity or count.

K7SGJ
04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Does it count? Hell yes. Anything an Islander does counts, for something. After all, look at all the misfits that have your back. Well, maybe you shouldn't look, just take the rats word for it.