PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Yaesu FT-991

2W0IWM
04-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Big hello from me, as this is my first post here.

I'm thinking of buying a new transceiver for my shack, as for reasons beyond logic, I sold almost all my gear to move to another country... Long story!

The 'adventure' appears to be coming to an end, so I will soon be back in the UK. On a positive note, it means I can buy a new radio.

I'm wondering what the present opinions are on the Yaesu FT-991? I've read a mixed bunch of reviews on the web, so I would love to hear from any owners here. It's appeals to me as I could use it as home, and possibly mobile (or even /P?) as I used to with my 897D.

Alternative ideas welcomed.

Cheers,

Ian (2W0IWM).

K7SGJ
04-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Hi Ian. I can't comment on the rig because I don't know anything that particular radio. However, I did want to say hello and welcome you to the Island.

W2NAP
04-24-2015, 08:25 PM
I think it is a ugly ugly ugly rig. I wouldn't give 50 cents for one.

to me looks matter.

K7SGJ
04-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I think it is a ugly ugly ugly rig. I wouldn't give 50 cents for one.

to me looks matter.

Haven't been around a mirror lately, huh? :stickpoke:

2W0IWM
04-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi K7SGJ, thanks for the great welcome. I found the forum by accident. After quite a bit of reading on the forum, I'm glad I joined. Great place.

I'd agree it's not the prettiest radio in the world W2IBC, but I'm drawn more towards function I guess. Any alternative suggestions? I wish it was 50c :) I hate to think how much it would cost here, given the cost of cell phones etc.

Ian

NQ6U
04-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Being an Icom man more or less by default (used Icom radios keep coming my way at prices I can't pass up) I don't know much about the 991 either but I'd like to join La Rata in welcoming you to The Island. First drink for newbies is always on the Vatican's tab so, Barkeep, give this man the adult beverage of his choice, and make it the top shelf stuff.

KG4CGC
04-24-2015, 10:19 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/dscn0326_zps0e99a548.jpg

PA5COR
04-25-2015, 03:13 AM
Welcome Ian.
Can't say any usefull things about the new radio, I just have the older FT100, FT 847 with Collins filters and the FT 2000 - D I'm using now as main radio.
Reading Eham reviews won't help you a lot either, too much Yaesu haters writing bad reviews and too much Yaesu lovers that will only give high marks....

Complex radio's like the FT 2000 - D need at least 3 to 4 months intensive use and tinkering before you have set things right and understand the workings of the radio, so any review that is done after a month is bogus.

In my view it is a relative expensive radio for a DC to 70 cm set, but if it floats your boat, go for it.
I still remember I paid over 3000 euro's or 6200 dutch guilders for the FT 847 with extra Collins filters..... and have had 18 years fun with it, still in use as spare set.

Does it need to be a new transceiver?, a set for use at home with a deep menu driven transceiver will become annoying, my FT 100 was good for use in the holliday season in France, but I would not use it at home as main transceiver, for that a bit larger front driven knobs is a lot easier, like a good FT 847, or something similar.
I only bought the FT 2000 - D for the 200+ watts output on HF and 6 meters, and the controls on the front, the 152 settings in the menu are most one time set and forget items...

It also has Class A setting to drive the Heathkit SB-1000 amplifier.
Best thing to do is being able to use the transceiver for a few hours to get the hang of it.
Don't decide too fast... and good luck with your choice to make.

Cor

W2NAP
04-25-2015, 06:06 AM
got to agree with Cor, if you want something small. dc-day roll with a FT-100 or a IC-706mk2g. yes it would be used but also be cheaper. you can get them for around 400-650USD FT-847 is also a sweet little rig, but its also a bit more pricey on the used market around 1k USD

ad4mg
04-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Ian,

First, welcome to our little slice of the internet! There is an active discussion of the '991 over on QRZ:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?468741-FT-991-First-Impressions

A couple of guys have the radio and offer some interesting comments.

Cheers!
Luke

2W0IWM
04-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi guys,

big thank you for the warm welcome, and indeed for the excellent bottle of Narwhal. I'm hoping to sink a couple more later.

Hmm. Good points have been raised all round. I was considering the 991 as a desktop / backpack radio I could use both at home and out hiking / SOTA etc. I have an 817 for backpack use, but it would be nice to have something with a bit more go in some conditions. Im believe th 991 has an improved receiver over the 817 (but also quite a weight gain, making it more in line with the 897).

I havent owned a 2000, but I have operated with one a little and it's a fabulous radio. I guess if I had to pick, I would choose pressing a button or turning a knob over scrolling rough menus. I'm unfamiliar with the FT100 and Icom radios. Sadly not had the pleasure yet.

I'm now sat here contemplating how much I actually miss twiddling my knobs... I may need to re think this a little before jumping in. Lots more reading to do.

PA5COR
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Most important thing you already decided, to think it over a bit more.
Mostly you can spend your cash only once, and better do that with a well thought over buy.
The FT 100 is the fore runner of the FT 857/897 series with standard Collins filters and better receiver ;)
100 watts 160 - 70 cm as well.

KG4NEL
04-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi guys,

big thank you for the warm welcome, and indeed for the excellent bottle of Narwhal. I'm hoping to sink a couple more later.

Hmm. Good points have been raised all round. I was considering the 991 as a desktop / backpack radio I could use both at home and out hiking / SOTA etc. I have an 817 for backpack use, but it would be nice to have something with a bit more go in some conditions. Im believe th 991 has an improved receiver over the 817 (but also quite a weight gain, making it more in line with the 897).

I havent owned a 2000, but I have operated with one a little and it's a fabulous radio. I guess if I had to pick, I would choose pressing a button or turning a knob over scrolling rough menus. I'm unfamiliar with the FT100 and Icom radios. Sadly not had the pleasure yet.

I'm now sat here contemplating how much I actually miss twiddling my knobs... I may need to re think this a little before jumping in. Lots more reading to do.

Think about power requirements, too. Having a big tactile screen that has to be on to make the radio work isn't necessarily conducive to battery life. The 706MKIIG is a notorious battery-destroyer, even on receive. At least with the '817, you can turn off what you don't need.

K7SGJ
04-25-2015, 01:40 PM
I CAN speak on the 857D, since I have one of those, and an Icom 706, as well. Both rigs are nice for what they are. I have the 857 in the truck, and use the VHF/UHF around town or on short road trips. I put the ATAS 120 antenna on the back on long trips. The reason I don't run the 706 mobile is that the 857 and ATAS are designed to work together. It is a compromise antenna, but it works flawlessly with the 857/897. I have no problem making contacts any of the HF bands, especially when conditions favor a particular band like 10M, so I rate it as a good choice for mobile ops. I'm sure it would do well in the shack as well. I also have an FT817, and the menus are the same, so if you are familiar with your 817 menus, you already have a leg up over anything else. Since I also have an IC702, and the menus are the same as the 706, setup and operation are quite easy for me. I find the 857 and the 706 to be very comparable as far as operation goes. Comparing them in an A/B setup on the bench or on the air is something I haven't done, but neither one is contest worthy anyway, if you're into that. They both put out about the same power and I have never received any bad audio reports using the stock mics. The setup and menu depth is about the same, and if I can figure it out, anyone can. I do keep a cheat sheet handy for those settings I don't access much. The only one of those rigs I have put any additional filtering in was a narrow cw filter in the 817. The other nice thing is that any accessories I have or get for the 857, will work on the 817 and visa versa. I offer all this as more information to further confuse and complicate your decision. We on the Island do not want to make your life any easier than absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I don't envy your task of selecting a new rig. It's can be a real pain in the ass. I have never put much stock in ham reviews from people I don't know or have not talked with. As Cor mentioned, many times someone will post a glowing review on a radio they've owned for only a week. The same with the very negative reviews. Usually, negatives are a result of operator error or lack of familiarity with a week old radio that has a very complicated setup, and all kinds of options that most of these hams don't understand, anyway. They can get the rig all FU in just a few keystrokes, and they complain about the radio being a piece of crap.

A year or so ago, I was entertaining the idea selling off a lot things I don't use any more, and getting a new rig. I did a lot of research and settled on the Kenwood TS590S. It had everything I wanted/needed in a rig. Then, I decided for as much as I get on the air, parting with the 2K USD wasn't really a wise use of resources. I think maybe I'll just improve the antenna system, and for me, that will be like getting a new radio.

2W0IWM
04-25-2015, 05:22 PM
It's a difficult task especially given the financial climate at the moment. My money tree only has one harvest every few years, so I have to spend very wisely.

One of of my biggest regrets was selling my Trio TS-530s with matching ATU. It was a rock solid, easy to operate HF rig that I can whole heartedly say I enjoyed using. That sadly went to the world of eBay along with much of the rest of my gear when I fell for this lovely Latin American lady.

I can't wait to get back to the UK and take my full license. I had it arranged for Christmas time last year, but family drama led to a re-arranged flight and a missed exam (no happy Christmas for me).

This is leads to the grand search and difficult decision on new equipment. I can see the power problem with the screen when portable. I've got some great battery packs etc, but I don't want to lose a percentage of my operating time to running the snazzy screen.

I starting to re evaluate and consider a home shack only radio instead of a do everything unit. That opens a new thread... Which transceiver. There are so many to consider. The offerings from Yaesu in the form of the FT1200 and 3000, look good, as does the lovely Icom 7600... The list is large, but my budget isn't unfortunately (or I'd be talking nicely to my local Kenwood dealer :)

if if I start to look at older radios, that makes the list grow even more. I think I need to order a stronger drink from the barkeeper. I'm off for a quick troll through eBay to see what on offer in the used market to get some price ideas. I've also downloaded the 991 manual to have a good read and see what can be turned on / off in its software to save power. Maybe the dream lives...?

k7SGJ, one of my favorite parts is experimenting with new antennas. I took all of mine down at home, so I'm starting from scratch. I think I'm going to try the design from G7FEK this time. I've read a lot about it, and it sound ideal for my limited space. Shame I can't operate here. The gardens huge and antenna space isn't a problem.

Ian

NQ6U
04-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Just to complicate things further—as Eddie (K7SGJ) said, that's how we roll here on the Island—you might consider an Elecraft KX-3 along with the companion KXPA100 amplifier. That way you have a mobile/portable 10W rig with a truly outstanding receiver and excellent battery life along with a full-power 100W transceiver back in the shack. I bring this up because I've been giving some serious thought to selling everything in my shack and going that way.

K7SGJ
04-25-2015, 09:37 PM
It's a difficult task especially given the financial climate at the moment. My money tree only has one harvest every few years, so I have to spend very wisely.

One of of my biggest regrets was selling my Trio TS-530s with matching ATU. It was a rock solid, easy to operate HF rig that I can whole heartedly say I enjoyed using. That sadly went to the world of eBay along with much of the rest of my gear when I fell for this lovely Latin American lady.

I can't wait to get back to the UK and take my full license. I had it arranged for Christmas time last year, but family drama led to a re-arranged flight and a missed exam (no happy Christmas for me).

This is leads to the grand search and difficult decision on new equipment. I can see the power problem with the screen when portable. I've got some great battery packs etc, but I don't want to lose a percentage of my operating time to running the snazzy screen.

I starting to re evaluate and consider a home shack only radio instead of a do everything unit. That opens a new thread... Which transceiver. There are so many to consider. The offerings from Yaesu in the form of the FT1200 and 3000, look good, as does the lovely Icom 7600... The list is large, but my budget isn't unfortunately (or I'd be talking nicely to my local Kenwood dealer :)

if if I start to look at older radios, that makes the list grow even more. I think I need to order a stronger drink from the barkeeper. I'm off for a quick troll through eBay to see what on offer in the used market to get some price ideas. I've also downloaded the 991 manual to have a good read and see what can be turned on / off in its software to save power. Maybe the dream lives...?

k7SGJ, one of my favorite parts is experimenting with new antennas. I took all of mine down at home, so I'm starting from scratch. I think I'm going to try the design from G7FEK this time. I've read a lot about it, and it sound ideal for my limited space. Shame I can't operate here. The gardens huge and antenna space isn't a problem.

Ian

The TS530S was the first new radio I ever owned. I purchased it when it first came out. I really wanted the 830, but it was just a bit out of the budget. I bought the 530, the AT-230 antenna tuner, SP-230 matching speaker, and MC-50 mic all at once. I later added sideband and cw filters in it and picked up an SM-220 with the pan adapter somewhere along the way. I agree, it was and still is a great rig. I always got great signal reports as far as audio went, and it was an easy and fun rig to operate. However, in my effort to downsize, that whole package (along with several other older rigs) is going to get sold this summer after I go through all of it and make sure all are working to specs.

2W0IWM
04-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Well, I've had an educational morning reading the 991 manual. I could use it as a base / P set as long as I accept the extra weight of both radio and larger battery to make it worthwhile lugging it to a mountain top. Think I'm going to add an amp to the 817, and stick with that for now as a /P setup.

Im undecided as to the 991 as a base set. I've looked with due caution at many reviews and owners comments. I'm starting to get the feeling that it has great potential, but the software hasn't caught up with the hardware yet, as Yaesu seems to be sending out new software sets and bug fixes quite regularly.

If someone dangled a good TS-530 et al or similar In front of me Eddie, I'd jump at it. I've seen a few nice sets on evilbay recently, but haven't had the chance to act as I'm still stuck on the wrong end of the marble. I do however want to get a newish modern set first if possible.

The Elecraft is a great piece of kit. A few friends have them, but not sure I'd want to replace the 817 yet.

Why he can't these things be easy :)

K7SGJ
04-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Well, I've had an educational morning reading the 991 manual. I could use it as a base / P set as long as I accept the extra weight of both radio and larger battery to make it worthwhile lugging it to a mountain top. Think I'm going to add an amp to the 817, and stick with that for now as a /P setup.

Im undecided as to the 991 as a base set. I've looked with due caution at many reviews and owners comments. I'm starting to get the feeling that it has great potential, but the software hasn't caught up with the hardware yet, as Yaesu seems to be sending out new software sets and bug fixes quite regularly.

If someone dangled a good TS-530 et al or similar In front of me Eddie, I'd jump at it. I've seen a few nice sets on evilbay recently, but haven't had the chance to act as I'm still stuck on the wrong end of the marble. I do however want to get a newish modern set first if possible.

The Elecraft is a great piece of kit. A few friends have them, but not sure I'd want to replace the 817 yet.

Why he can't these things be easy :)

It's not easy because of so many choices. I bought a Yaesu FL 110 off of one of the hams sites (QTH or QRZ or one like them). It is a nice companion amp for the 817. It is an all mode, 160-10 amp that was designed for the FT-7 and FT-301S line. It requires a few adjustments to get it to trigger on power inputs under 10 watts or so, but it's a slick little amp. Obviously, the current draw depends on the drive and output power you want to run. It doesn't really cover the WARC bands, but it will work there with reduced output. I got mine for a $100 USD, and it was in good condition. I figured it was a good price since I've seen others go for up to 2 or 3 times that. But if you're patient, a good one does pop up from time to time. It also works well with the IC-703, but the 817 is smaller, lighter and easier to drag around and is my choice for backpacking, camping, and all that. It's a simple thing to operate with only a band switch, on/off, and delay switch on the front. Output is only adjustable by raising or lowering the input power. It probably isn't as efficient as more modern units using modular design or high efficiency FETs, but then, the price of the newer stuff is higher than giraffe nuts, too.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Hi Eddie,

The FL110 looks like a great little amp. I've been thinking along these lines, as while QRP at 5 watts or less is good fun, sometimes it would be nice to have an extra S point of power to reach "that" station. This was my initial idea when looking at the 991. A smallish radio that could be backpacked (I did the same with the 897 many times), that has reasonable power on hand if needed. The down sides, as discussed, are the power equipments for running 50+ Watts and high standby load because of pretty screen etc.

I've also been considering the Hardrock 50 kit. I enjoy an outing with the soldering iron, and building a little amp from a kit could fit in well with work at the moment (as I could mail order it and build it here).

I'm still fancying the 991, but slowly turning more towards the likes of the 2000, 1200 or Icom 7600. Now if I can just find that lotto ticket to buy my Kenwood 990 :)

good forum. Lots of useful information with a good smattering of banter.

WØTKX
04-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Smat yer Banter! ;)

I have two 857D's. They are excellent do-it-all rigs, but there are better performers.Abused 'em, used 'em, and I've become used to the menus so I don't have to look. Both programmed the same, and one of them has the INRAD 300 Hz and 2000 Hz filters installed... a big help on HF. The current draw on RX is a bit high for a backpacker setup, but I've done it.

FT-817 is better, but QRP. And the FT-897 does have that lower voltage battery pack, I seem to recall an RX current draw that was in between the two.

I'd consider the purchase of a do-it-all rig like the Yaesu 817/857/897 series, the Icom IC-7000/706, etc. used in excellent condition.

And have enough left over for antennas, and a better "base" HF rig, also used. There's some excellent used rigs out there.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Too many radios to choose from.... Brain can't cope...... :)

I think I'm going to go the way you suggest. The more I look at the 991, the more I think it's not for me at this time. An amp for my 817 with a new antenna, new antennas at home (as I took the lot down when I left for Brazil) and a new radio for the home station.

I think some higher power is teasing me at the moment. I keep seeing really nice TS 530's and 830's on evilbay. I bet there won't be one when I get back home. I will get another at some point.

I I wonder where my second 817 is now? It was liberated from me by some fast handed bag thief at GRU airport in São Paulo. I hope whoever ended up with it is enjoying it.

It seems my shortlist is now lacking the 991 and contains the FT-1200 (which appears to be a re worked 950) and the Icom 7600. I was looking at the Flex sets too, but while they seem to be all singing all dancing pieces of kit, I'm still a little taken by knob twiddling ;)

WØTKX
04-29-2015, 07:53 AM
My Flex 3000 is my best/favorite radio.
I have some excellent older rigs.

But the RX on the Flex is great.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 08:01 AM
I agree totally, the Flex transceivers are amazing. My brother has had a couple of their radios including the 3000. I've been lucky enough to play on a few occasions. I think (I say think as I've not seen his shack for a little while) that he has one of the 6000 series now.

Perhaps in the future :) my problem seems to be that I only enough cash for one at the moment.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Lotto tickets? Hell, I have a bunch of old ones I'll sell at half price.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 08:39 AM
I wonder if we can take the old ones back for a refund as they were defective? ...

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
I tried that. Those bastids at the lottery commission have no sense of humor.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
We would stand a better chance of making money by collecting the duff tickets and weighing them in for their recycle weight than waiting to get a refund from the lotto bosses :)

It's been a bad season for my money tree, so I'm going to have to resort to good ole work to save for the bits n bobs I want. A good clear out on evilbay should help. I'm stuck here until August, so still lots of saving time :) then... The big decision.

KG4NEL
04-29-2015, 12:18 PM
I think some higher power is teasing me at the moment. I keep seeing really nice TS 530's and 830's on evilbay. I bet there won't be one when I get back home. I will get another at some point.

I I wonder where my second 817 is now? It was liberated from me by some fast handed bag thief at GRU airport in São Paulo. I hope whoever ended up with it is enjoying it.

I thought in Brasil, those are called "customs agents".

I have a friend who uses a Hardrock 50 with his KX3 (he also has a K3/KPA500 combo for home, the bastid). He loves it.

NQ6U
04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
It's been a bad season for my money tree, so I'm going to have to resort to good ole work [...]

Work?? Allah forfend!

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM

WORK?

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 01:36 PM
In all honesty, I haven't had much in the way of bother from the customs guys either here or in the UK. They take their time entering the country sometimes, but Brazil is very bureaucratic. There is a stamped bit of paper for everything here... Getting the papers to get married here was an eye opener.

No, the bag loss was the fault of one person. Me. I was tired, a little lost at the airport and rushing. It vanished while I was grabbing my cases of the carousel. Didn't even realize for a few mins as was concentrating on finding my suitcases.

Sadly, being pre customs, that means either another passenger or staff took said bag. Video was inconclusive. Police were.... Erm.. bureaucratic ;) half my cash, radio, phone, some work documents all went. Luckily my passport etc was on me, not in the bag (it was a courier style bag I use for a carry on with my laptops).

Live and learn. Won't happen twice.

Yep, work... I'm supposed to be doing that cursed word now, but I'm tied up reading much more important things like radio reviews and antenna suggestions for limited space plots :)

damn image of 991 keeps coming to mind! I think I have an obsession. Beer time!

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Sorry guys, I know it's a four letter word of the worst possible kind. I'll drag myself to the lav and wash my filthy mouth out with soap now :)

But it I have to pay for the new gear ... Err...the things my 'darling' wants somehow. Think Gloria from Modern Family. I know the character from the sitcom is Columbian, but you'll get the idea. Every cent is counted lol, so radio cash is stashed.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 02:40 PM
That's why ham radio is fill with so many sneaky bastids. It's a way of life we learn early in marriage, and perfect over a lifetime.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Who me? Noooooo... I would NEVER lie and tell her my shiny new transceiver coast anything less - than the damn good bargain basement reduced twice mates rates super sale deal you won't find anywhere else ever again price that I got it for :) nope. Not me.

Thank God she never looks on the supplier websites. I'd be single and minus my antenna wing-nuts.

WØTKX
04-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Its WERK!

Dammit.

KG4CGC
04-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Who me? Noooooo... I would NEVER lie and tell her my shiny new transceiver coast anything less - than the damn good bargain basement reduced twice mates rates super sale deal you won't find anywhere else ever again price that I got it for :) nope. Not me.

Thank God she never looks on the supplier websites. I'd be single and minus my antenna wing-nuts.

Sig line material. ↑

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Ha :). I hadn't considered that. I will add it now. Thank you

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Sig line material. ↑

And worthy of something special from the top shelf.

2W0IWM
04-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Added as a Sig. Pleased :)

K0RGR
04-30-2015, 04:32 PM
You might consider selling the 817 and getting a KX3 for your portable work. 10 watts is 3 dB better than 5. They have a 2 meter add on for it now, too.

The 991 looks OK to me - if someone gave me one I wouldn't throw it out. It might eventually become a replacement for my ancient IC-746. I don't think it would
be a very good portable, though - I bet it sucks battery power at a serious clip. You might want to check the specs. I looked at their ads and they don't list receive current drain, and their website rejected my attempts to download a brochure.

N8YX
04-30-2015, 05:18 PM
I wish the thing had a remote head option, just like I wish the 817-ND did. Mounting options for either are severely constrained in and on my vehicles.

2W0IWM
04-30-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure I can afford to go for a KX3 plus a new radio for the house just yet, but it's a consideration for the future. I need to do my homework on the KX3 first though. I have the manual for the 991, so I'll check the standby current now... Gimme a sec... Whew,

RX - no signal - 1.8A
RX - signal present - 2.2 A

bit of a hungry hippo Amps wise.

it would be nice if the head could be used remote like some of the other radios. When I started out in amateur radio, I had the 897D. Great set, which I used as a base and portable set. I assumed the 991 was its replacement. I now think I'm wrong.... Still kind of like it though. Damn... Lol