PDA

View Full Version : Spring in the desert

K7SGJ
04-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Today, my wife brings this in and gives him to me

"Cute" says I, and let him run around in my hand and on my arm.

So now, it's time to figure out what the hell to do with it. It's not quite big enough to be on it's own yet, so I figured we'd just raise it for a few more weeks, then release him. Over the years, we have fostered all kinds of animals, birds, and what not, and it is really cool saving and raising these little animals, and then being able to release them back to the wild when they are able to survive. But I digress. Then, I walk out to the area where she found him, and I see this

So, I figure this might be where he came from, and decide to put him back in the hole, which by the way is only a little bigger than a quarter (a bit smaller than a toonie, Gerry). He scurries in, and I figure that's the last of it, but noooooooooooooo

I go back later, and it looks like a ground squirrel clown car

I have to admit, these things are a hoot. They're lots of fun to watch and photograph, but I have to be careful not to let them get too trusting around humans. They are kind of getting accustomed to seeing me out there taking photos, and don't seem too scared of me. The other problem is keeping the dogs from digging them up, too. This is a neat time of the year out here.

suddenseer
04-17-2015, 08:28 PM
1.....2.....3.......awwwwwwwwwwww

NQ6U
04-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Cute li'l bastard. Around here, though, they're known for hosting the bubonic plague. Seriously.

suddenseer
04-17-2015, 08:47 PM
rodents are cute, tasty if prepared correctly.

VE7DCW
04-18-2015, 12:18 AM
A U.S. and Canadian Quarter are the same size Eddie....... you actually impressed the hell out of me when you mentioned a "twonie" or your American spelling (toonie) ........ fancy that even.... you spell "quarter" with a "u" in it as well!! :mrgreen:

suddenseer
04-18-2015, 04:00 AM
A U.S. and Canadian Quarter are the same size Eddie....... you actually impressed the hell out of me when you mentioned a "twonie" or your American spelling (toonie) ........ fancy that even.... you spell "quarter" with a "u" in it as well!! :mrgreen:Hell the lymie bastads that we both broke away from (you folks were more polite) spell quarter like we do....

"No Quarter"

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

Robert Plant John Paul Jones James Patrick
Copyright: Flames of Ailbion Music Inc,

KK4AMI
04-18-2015, 05:14 AM
Great photos! Tell your wife you want an HD Video Camera so you can film for "Animal Planet". Now what are those? Ground Squirrels or Prairie Dogs?

K7SGJ
04-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Great photos! Tell your wife you want an HD Video Camera so you can film for "Animal Planet". Now what are those? Ground Squirrels or Prairie Dogs?

They are Round-tailed ground squirrels. I believe they are related to the prairie dog, just a whole lot smaller.

KG4CGC
04-18-2015, 08:03 AM
How absolutely delightful!
Warning: This year there will be a full on tree frog nursery in my back yard. Prepare for pictures out the wazoo.

K7SGJ
04-18-2015, 08:24 AM
How absolutely delightful!
Warning: This year there will be a full on tree frog nursery in my back yard. Prepare for pictures out the wazoo.

Those things are amazing. I look forward to the pix.

KG4NEL
04-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Round-tailed ground squirrel don't give a shit.

W5BRM
04-18-2015, 03:01 PM
That little guys just a yum. Not enough meat to be a yumyum!

A chicken wing has more meat then he does!

KG4NEL
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
That little guys just a yum. Not enough meat to be a yumyum!

A chicken wing has more meat then he does!

I've only eaten squirrel once, although they were the full-grown critters we get back East.

It was pretty good, but my memory is probably tainted by the fact that it was the only meat I'd had all that week. We were doing some school trip to some hippie commune, and it was either kill squirrels or more tofu. I chose hunting.

N7YA
04-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Thats awesome, Eddie. We love animals...more than humans in most cases. Those are great pics.

We made a special trip out to our favorite spot in Boulder City to sit among the Big Horn Sheep that graze in a field there. They let you walk right into the group as long as you move correctly, the males are pretty serious toward threats, but im just taking pictures calmly so i dont get hit in the nuts with a battering ram...not yet, anyway. This last trip out there...no sheep! We even walked back into the hills on their path...no sheep. Maybe they are doing a Groupon trip to Cabo or something.

NA4BH
04-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Those things are amazing. I look forward to the pix.

I wouldn't care to see his wazoo, thank you.

KG4CGC
04-18-2015, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't care to see his wazoo, thank you.

That's not what you said on yahoo chat.

K0RGR
04-19-2015, 03:55 PM
I'll have to hide this thread from some of my female relatives, or they will be on their way to desert to find some of their own. My wife feeds the squirrels here, and the little ones are cute. We also have little chipmunks. You can tell when the young ones arrive because the neighborhood cats take up residence in the back yard, hoping for a tasty meal. The best comedy I've seen in a long time came when the wife put up a big windmill ornament next to the bird feeder. The squirrels tried to jump on it to get to the feeder, but instead, the windmill whipped them around and spit them out the other side. It took them a while to figure out that would not work for them!

K7SGJ
04-19-2015, 05:06 PM
I guess not to be out done, this little kangaroo rat (with full cheek pouches) came bopping across the porch while my wife was cutting my hair. These things are very timid and many people keep them for pets.

My immediate problem is a swarm of very nasty and mean bees that have taken up residence under one of the cargo containers. I can't get to the hive itself, so unfortunately, they will have to be destroyed. They've stung my wife and I several times over the last few days, and one of the dogs has a swollen face from all the stings. I usually try to relocate them in the desert when I can, but I'm afraid this batch has to go. This is the most aggressive hive we have ever had out here. Anytime you go out, there is a good chance one or more will find and nail you. It looks like the beekeeper suit is real going to be a lifesaver this year, not to mention ODing on Benadryl.

KG4CGC
04-19-2015, 06:27 PM
That little rat is just adorabler.
The squirrels here get their nuts set out away from the bird feeder. Some are very charismatic.

NQ6U
04-19-2015, 07:29 PM
La Rata holding un rata. How meta.

N7YA
04-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I guess not to be out done, this little kangaroo rat (with full cheek pouches) came bopping across the porch while my wife was cutting my hair. These things are very timid and many people keep them for pets.

My immediate problem is a swarm of very nasty and mean bees that have taken up residence under one of the cargo containers. I can't get to the hive itself, so unfortunately, they will have to be destroyed. They've stung my wife and I several times over the last few days, and one of the dogs has a swollen face from all the stings. I usually try to relocate them in the desert when I can, but I'm afraid this batch has to go. This is the most aggressive hive we have ever had out here. Anytime you go out, there is a good chance one or more will find and nail you. It looks like the beekeeper suit is real going to be a lifesaver this year, not to mention ODing on Benadryl.

Eddie, we know some bee keepers up in that area. I can drop them a line if you like.

K7SGJ
04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Eddie, we know some bee keepers up in that area. I can drop them a line if you like.

Thanks Adam. I have a couple I have used in the past, too. Anymore, I just gather up the hive and bees in one of those vac-cages, and take them to one of them. It's always good for a large jar of mesquite honey. But these little bastids, are way under a 40 foot cargo container, and I really don't want to compromise the floor to try to get to them. Plus, these are by far the most aggressive and meanest little fuckers we've ever had out here. Unfortunately, they have to be destroyed since there is no way to get to the queen and hive. The same thing happened a couple of years ago under one of the connex units out back. I had one of the keepers come out, but there was no way to save the hive short of destroying the floor trying to find them.

I think I'm going to get one of those video inspection units with the 4' extension for a total of 8' of length. Those are great for plumbing, automotive, and all kinds of stuff. If I had one now, I could have pinpointed the hive and could have gotten some idea of how big it is. At that point, I may have considered a small hole in the metal flooring to try to relocate them.

Fortunately in over 20 years of being out here, I only have had to kill one rattler that was threatening my son when he was little and had no way out, and the other was a bobcat that had one of the dogs cornered and was acting very aggressive instead of running off like they usually do. We have an abundance of wildlife around here and we try to live in harmony as much as possible. Any dangerous or destructive critters around here usually get live trapped and I take them way out in the desert and let them go. I even relocated the rattlesnake that bit our Jack Russel and damn near killed her a couple of years ago.

In fact, THIS

PLUS THIS

EQUALS THIS

And that last picture was taken several days later when she got home from the vet after being on IVs and stuff. The swelling was about twice that bad a few hours after the bite.

N7YA
04-19-2015, 08:37 PM
No worries. You seem like you know what you are doing and what you need, it was just one of those rare cases of knowing someone who's right for the job AND right where they would be needed! :lol: That doesnt happen that often. Good luck with those nasty bastardos, i was stung 14 times once because i was an idiot, not fun at all.

ka4dpo
04-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Holy crap, that was an ugly bite. Your dog was very lucky to survive that. You must have had a really good veterinarian and I'm guessing you got your dog there right away.

When I was a kid we used to run the back country in California and we would come across a sidewinder or a diamondback every now and then. I learned early on that they will leave you alone if you don't screw with them. When I was about fifteen I poked a sidewinder with a stick and it nearly got me. Then the dammed thing chased me and I had to run like hell, they are faster than you think. Lesson learned, I won't do that again.

KG4CGC
04-20-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry your dog got bited. Did Bob do it?

K7SGJ
04-20-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry your dog got bited. Did Bob do it?

It was a different kind of snake. Had Bob done it, there would have been no hope for the poor pup. She'd have been turned into one of the barking dead.

NA4BH
04-20-2015, 10:47 PM
The truth be known, the dog was begging the snake to do it. "Please bite me, help me get the hell out of here".

Just look at the dog's eyes, he's calculating his next move. Shifty I tell ya.

Don't give him 3 dollars (dollours for the Canadians) and send him to the store, you'll never see your money again. Shifty.

N7YA
04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Don't give him 3 dollars (dollours for the Canadians) and send him to the store, you'll never see your money again. Shifty.

Arent those Loonies? ...i mean Lounies. ;)

NA4BH
04-21-2015, 12:29 AM

Kangaroos live in Austria, that looks like a baby giraffe.

LOL, your wife cuts your hair too? I think I've had 2 professional haircuts in 40 years.

KG4NEL
04-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Kangaroos live in Austria, that looks like a baby giraffe.

LOL, your wife cuts your hair too? I think I've had 2 professional haircuts in 40 years.

I go to a place here that has a bar on-site.

Works for me.

NQ6U
04-21-2015, 11:48 AM
My wife cuts my hair. I also get it done by a pro—at the same time.

WØTKX
04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
After mine got thin on top, started buzzing my hair myself with the Wahl clippers.

If I clip it pretty short, it works for about six weeks or so.

My freaking sideburns grow faster than the stuff on top. :irked:

K7SGJ
04-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Speaking of bees.............................

I'm just now getting a handle on the hive under the cargo container that I posted about, and they should be eliminated within a few days. Today, my wife goes out to get something out of one of the other connex units, and hears loud buzzing, and finds a swarm in one of the scrub brush plants. Normally, they stay huddled up, layer upon layer with the queen in the middle of the swarm in order to protect her. In most cases, they stay around for only a day or two while scouts are out finding a suitable and permanent place to build the hive. However, if these don't move on in a day or so, I can get to them and capture most of them and give them to a buddy that has an apiary. At least this swarm won't have to be destroyed like the hive under the connex. Judging from past estimates I've been given, this one is probably in the 30,000 to 50,000 bee category. Actually, bees are really fascinating creatures, and interesting to observe. But the little bastids sure hurt when they sting, especially in mass.

KG4NEL
04-21-2015, 06:59 PM
After mine got thin on top, started buzzing my hair myself with the Wahl clippers.

If I clip it pretty short, it works for about six weeks or so.

My freaking sideburns grow faster than the stuff on top. :irked:

Mine too. After a month of no maintenance I look like a bosun's mate on a Napoleonic-era frigate.

KG4NEL
04-21-2015, 07:00 PM

I'm just now getting a handle on the hive under the cargo container that I posted about, and they should be eliminated within a few days. Today, my wife goes out to get something out of one of the other connex units, and hears loud buzzing, and finds a swarm in one of the scrub brush plants. Normally, they stay huddled up, layer upon layer with the queen in the middle of the swarm in order to protect her. In most cases, they stay around for only a day or two while scouts are out finding a suitable and permanent place to build the hive. However, if these don't move on in a day or so, I can get to them and capture most of them and give them to a buddy that has an apiary. At least this swarm won't have to be destroyed like the hive under the connex. Judging from past estimates I've been given, this one is probably in the 30,000 to 50,000 bee category. Actually, bees are really fascinating creatures, and interesting to observe. But the little bastids sure hurt when they sting, especially in mass.

I would die. Literally.

Carry an Epi everywhere...

suddenseer
04-21-2015, 08:40 PM

13842My buddy an apiarist and I were in the woods mushroom hunting. We saw a swarm like that. Way out of season. He calmly walked over, and went digging through the bees, and found the queen, and held her in his hand. The swarm was all over his bare hand. He calmly said, "let's go to my house." I remembered that I had driven. He carried the swarm around his hand, and slowly climbed in the car, shot gun. I was nervous. Those damn bees were on his arm, face, shoulders, it was creepy. We got them to his house, and he guided me in putting the hive together, and setting it on blocks where he wanted it to be placed. He was calmly standing there with thousands of bees swarming on him. He placed the queen inside, and I set the other sections on top. Within minutes, the bees had orderly moved in. It was hard for me not to freak out hearing all of that buzzing. We had on no beekeeper gear, or gloves, no smokers. He understood the mentality of a swarm that was ready to move elsewhere. We did not get stung. The next day, I was mowing the lawn, and ran over a wasp nest under a fence post. I was stung about 30 times requiring an ambulance, and an epeneferin shot. I lost my ability to help my buddy move his hives around.

W2NAP
04-21-2015, 08:46 PM

big question are they the africanized bees?

K7SGJ
04-21-2015, 09:04 PM
You are right. Usually, swarming bees that stop so the queen can rest are usually pretty docile, especially if left alone. They only stick around a few days anyway, so just keeping some distance and keeping the animals away is all you really need to do. Once they have set up residence and started the hive, all that changes, and they can be mean as hell. It seems like over the last few years the bees out here have become more and more aggressive. I don't know if it's from cross breeding with the Africanized bees or what. Even suited up, I've been stung 25 or 30 times, not counting my hands, in the last few days dealing with the hive under the connex. If the protective clothing gets tight anywhere like in the legs when squatting, they can sting right through it. They even got through my leather gloves and have stung the shit out of my hands. But, that's their job, I guess.

KG4CGC
04-21-2015, 09:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXRoyn_ZSo

K7SGJ
04-21-2015, 09:11 PM

When I was working for the state on a canal project, we had a lot of issues with bees because of them needing so much water. We were forever collecting the bees from different areas to send to the state lab for identification. At that time the only way to tell was by cutting them open. It may still be the same way now, I really don't know.

suddenseer
04-21-2015, 09:22 PM
You are right. Usually, swarming bees that stop so the queen can rest are usually pretty docile, especially if left alone. They only stick around a few days anyway, so just keeping some distance and keeping the animals away is all you really need to do. Once they have set up residence and started the hive, all that changes, and they can be mean as hell. It seems like over the last few years the bees out here have become more and more aggressive. I don't know if it's from cross breeding with the Africanized bees or what. Even suited up, I've been stung 25 or 30 times, not counting my hands, in the last few days dealing with the hive under the connex. If the protective clothing gets tight anywhere like in the legs when squatting, they can sting right through it. They even got through my leather gloves and have stung the shit out of my hands. But, that's their job, I guess.My buddy gave me several racks of full honey, pollen, and honeycomb every year that I allowed him to places about 4 hives in my 3 acre back yard. I swear those years I was regularly eating honey, pollen, and wax from my neighborhood flowers, and grasses, I had absolutely no allergy problems. I used to have it so bad, I had to take shots. That gooddammned bee barf is magick medicine.

N7YA
04-21-2015, 09:40 PM
I would die. Literally.

Carry an Epi everywhere...

I like the way you think! :bbh:

suddenseer
04-21-2015, 10:10 PM
I like the way you think! :bbh:

13843Hell yeah!!!!

W2NAP
04-22-2015, 03:28 AM
My buddy gave me several racks of full honey, pollen, and honeycomb every year that I allowed him to places about 4 hives in my 3 acre back yard. I swear those years I was regularly eating honey, pollen, and wax from my neighborhood flowers, and grasses, I had absolutely no allergy problems. I used to have it so bad, I had to take shots. That gooddammned bee barf is magick medicine.

it is amazing, but damn it does work

N7YA
04-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Natural wild honey has so many benefits to speak of...plus, it tastes great!

NA4BH
04-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Today, my wife brings this in and gives him to me

"Cute" says I, and let him run around in my hand and on my arm.

So now, it's time to figure out what the hell to do with it. It's not quite big enough to be on it's own yet, so I figured we'd just raise it for a few more weeks, then release him. Over the years, we have fostered all kinds of animals, birds, and what not, and it is really cool saving and raising these little animals, and then being able to release them back to the wild when they are able to survive. But I digress. Then, I walk out to the area where she found him, and I see this

So, I figure this might be where he came from, and decide to put him back in the hole, which by the way is only a little bigger than a quarter (a bit smaller than a toonie, Gerry). He scurries in, and I figure that's the last of it, but noooooooooooooo

I go back later, and it looks like a ground squirrel clown car

I have to admit, these things are a hoot. They're lots of fun to watch and photograph, but I have to be careful not to let them get too trusting around humans. They are kind of getting accustomed to seeing me out there taking photos, and don't seem too scared of me. The other problem is keeping the dogs from digging them up, too. This is a neat time of the year out here.

Is that a baby giraffe? I like giraffes, they'll stick their necks out for you.

ka4dpo
04-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Natural wild honey has so many benefits to speak of...plus, it tastes great!

It is great stuff. The American Indians were aware of this for centuries and had many uses for wild honey like burying some guy up to his neck and poor it over his head.:) And it really does taste great.:-D

N7YA
04-26-2015, 03:31 AM
It is great stuff. The American Indians were aware of this for centuries and had many uses for wild honey like burying some guy up to his neck and poor it over his head.:) And it really does taste great.:-D

At least he died tastefully.

suddenseer
04-26-2015, 04:16 AM
At least his head tasted good.

K7SGJ
04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
It only hit 97 F (36.1 G) today, and the critters are waking up. It's amazing how well these guys can blend in with the desert.

This is what the little ones look like

They help make short work of the ants, spiders, and such. I just wish they had a taste for bees.

suddenseer
04-29-2015, 09:57 PM
The bees probably have a taste for him.

ka4dpo
05-03-2015, 10:00 PM
It only hit 97 F (36.1 G) today, and the critters are waking up. It's amazing how well these guys can blend in with the desert.

They help make short work of the ants, spiders, and such. I just wish they had a taste for bees.

Horny little devil.

KG4CGC
05-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Great Horney Toads!

kb2vxa
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I used to have a couple of them as pets and you have pets all over the place. Get one aggravated enough and it'll squirt blood out of it's eyes, KEWEL!

suddenseer
05-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Makes me want to glue stuff to him, and make a cheap monster movie.

K7SGJ
05-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Here's another cactus that bloomed in the middle of the night last night, and the flowers will be gone by tomorrow.

And that, of course attracts these things.

kb2vxa
05-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Lophophora williamsii produces a pretty flower that leaves behind the most interesting button. Have you been on a vision quest and spoken with Mescalito lately?

ka4dpo
05-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Lophophora williamsii produces a pretty flower that leaves behind the most interesting button. Have you been on a vision quest and spoken with Mescalito lately?

Interestingly you have to eat a lot of them to get a good high and they are bitter as hell and will gag a maggot unless you mix them with koolaide or seven-up. I never tried them while in Parker Arizona in 1969 or anything like that, mind you I'm just throwing out some general information. Oh and if you eat too many after drinking warm beer on a really hot day they can make you puke,,, I heard that somewhere.

NQ6U
05-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Interestingly you have to eat a lot of them to get a good high and they are bitter as hell and will gag a maggot unless you mix them with koolaide or seven-up. I never tried them while in Parker Arizona in 1969 or anything like that, mind you I'm just throwing out some general information. Oh and if you eat too many after drinking warm beer on a really hot day they can make you puke,,, I heard that somewhere.

I heard that if you make a tea with them, you can walk two miles through the woods without a flashlight on a moonless, overcast night and never trip over anything or get lost. Not that I ever tried this, you understand, but I heard that it's true.

NA4BH
05-07-2015, 08:42 PM

I like wombats. The one in (the last picture) has some mighty long pubes. Just sayin'.

K7SGJ
05-07-2015, 10:00 PM
I like wombats. The one in (the last picture) has some mighty long pubes. Just sayin'.

Yeah, he is a little young for long grey ones.

NA4BH
05-07-2015, 10:11 PM
It must be the dry puberty.

KG4CGC
05-07-2015, 10:34 PM
♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ springtime ♪♪♪♪ for deserts and lizard bees ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

kb2vxa
05-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Shades of The Producers, but what are lizard bees? I thought lizards ATE bees... and mutate?

K7SGJ
05-08-2015, 05:07 PM

Wasn't that originally done by Sting?

KG4CGC
05-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Wasn't that originally done by Sting?

Mel Brooks.

K7SGJ
05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Mel Brooks.

The buzz is that Sting should have covered it.

KG4CGC
05-09-2015, 09:46 AM
The buzz is that Sting should have covered it.

Oh! You were punning!

kb2vxa
05-10-2015, 07:36 AM

N7YA
05-11-2015, 04:34 AM

Thats from the Honey Producers, right?

Thanks, now i am going to have that stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

K7SGJ
05-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I think the Bee Gees might have covered it, too.

NQ6U
05-11-2015, 08:56 AM
I think the Bee Gees might have covered it, too.

No, you're thinking of Staying A Hive.

K7SGJ
05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
No, you're thinking of Staying A Hive.

I don't want to drone on, but that's a honey of a pun.

NA4BH
05-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Let me comb through this one

NQ6U
05-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Why? It's none of your beesness.

K7SGJ
05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Why? It's none of your beesness.

Don't piss him off or he'll go put on his yellow jacket?

NA4BH
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I've been waxing over that idea.

K7SGJ
05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I've been waxing over that idea.

In other words, you are polishing your stinger?

kb2vxa
05-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Oh it's just the bee's knees, doo wacka doo wacka doo!

KG4NEL
05-11-2015, 09:25 PM

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Comb_21ce12_652756.png