PDA

View Full Version : my big change.

W2NAP
04-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Well I have a big change coming. Starting 4/20 (har harr) I begin at C1 Indianapolis for the CDL stuff. and if all goes well (ending up with a CDL) then I will move over to a company for comp. orientation then off in a truck.

of course if all goes well...

N2CHX
04-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Congrats. Not sure why you posted this in Rumpus though.

W5BRM
04-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Congrats! How long is your schooling going to be?

w0aew
04-12-2015, 04:55 PM
I'll toke in yer honor that day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

W2NAP
04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

I don't want non members to see. gen chat is open view to all..

Congrats! How long is your schooling going to be?

3 weeks. so they say.

WØTKX
04-12-2015, 05:54 PM

Congrats & Dynamite!

Rumpus Celebration with one of my favorite truckin' music bands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_dJ0dqq-l4
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_dJ0dqq-l4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_dJ0dqq-l4

P.S. Roller Derby girrrllls are hawt. :mrgreen:

W5BRM
04-12-2015, 06:41 PM
3 weeks. so they say.

Yikes!! Hope whatever company you sign on with puts you with a good trainer. 3 weeks isnt a whole lot of training. I went to school in '91 and I had 240 hrs of training. Thats 6 weeks at 40h a week and that wasn't near enough in my opinion.

KG4CGC
04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
If yer ever in my nook of the woods ... keep on rollin'. No one wants to stop here.

I'll buy ya lunch.

W2NAP
04-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Yikes!! Hope whatever company you sign on with puts you with a good trainer. 3 weeks isnt a whole lot of training. I went to school in '91 and I had 240 hrs of training. Thats 6 weeks at 40h a week and that wasn't near enough in my opinion.

company "training" they say is 4-6 weeks. but had a driver that worked there tell me it really depends on you the new driver on how well you handle yourself. but C1 is 3 weeks 7a-4p. I don't think I will have that bad of time honestly.

If yer ever in my nook of the woods ... keep on rollin'. No one wants to stop here.

I'll buy ya lunch.

I know where SC is.. but EM84ru no idea.. id have to look at a map, then see it for myself to believe it exists.. :v I like the idea of lunch. BBQ ribs man. SC has to have a good BBQ joint.

KG4NEL
04-12-2015, 08:48 PM
NC BBQ > SC BBQ

:yum:

Congrats!

W2NAP
04-22-2015, 04:58 PM
passed the state general knowledge,combo,air and tank. passed on 1st try. took me about 35mins to do all 4 tests

NQ6U
04-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Just keep in mind that your IQ drops approximately 40 points the second they hand you that CDL.

W2NAP
04-22-2015, 05:24 PM
10-4 :v

K4PIH
04-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Professional truckers don't get the respect they deserve for bringing 99% of life to the rest of us. Go forth and conquer.

PA5COR
04-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Been there, done that, and wishing you good luck.
Last December renewing my drivers license I had the truck and bus certification removed, not going to use that anymore.
Just kept car and trailer drivers license.
I can get back the truck and bus part when I go to a medical, 200 euro's for something I won't use anymore? no deal.
Had tons of fun driving articulated lorry's through Europe though in my younger years.

KG4NEL
04-24-2015, 01:41 PM
passed the state general knowledge,combo,air and tank. passed on 1st try. took me about 35mins to do all 4 tests

woot woot

WX7P
04-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Professional truckers don't get the respect they deserve for bringing 99% of life to the rest of us. Go forth and conquer.

I thought GE did that.

Oh, wait, that's GOOD things TO life....

K7SGJ
04-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Just keep in mind that your IQ drops approximately 40 points the second they hand you that CDL.

I didn't think hams had IQs over 40. Who Gnu?

W2NAP
04-27-2015, 07:02 PM
got my VALID 2 year med card today. now to get permit 2mar

NQ6U
04-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Wait until your first attempt at the alley dock skill test.

KG4NEL
04-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Our docks were uphill, which was always hilarious in the winter.

K7SGJ
04-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Our docks were uphill, which was always hilarious in the winter.

That's where they got the expression "what's up dock"?

W2NAP
04-30-2015, 04:49 PM

IN just has strait line,offset and parallel then road + pretrip

NQ6U
04-30-2015, 06:47 PM
IN just has strait line,offset and parallel then road + pretrip

I think you're mistaken, unless perhaps you're never going drive outside Indiana. The elements of the CDL test are DOT mandated.

KG4CGC
04-30-2015, 09:48 PM
"That's a negative soldier, when using a CLP as a personal abrasive tool-dual instance knob soap (PAT-DIKS) at no time should the applicable hand move above the bell-end......it's in the standing orders. It's in the standing orders."

W2NAP
05-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I think you're mistaken, unless perhaps you're never going drive outside Indiana. The elements of the CDL test are DOT mandated.

to get a CDL in Indiana its just pre-trip, strait,offside,parallel then road test.

NQ6U
05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
to get a CDL in Indiana its just pre-trip, strait,offside,parallel then road test.

Huh, weird. Maybe they changed things since I was teaching. But, you know, dropping the alley dock (a skill you'll use pretty much daily) and keeping parallel parking (something you'll probably never use again once you pass the test) makes very little sense.

W5BRM
05-01-2015, 05:50 PM
When i took my cdl test back in '91, we had to drive a 10 mile route with both 2 and 4 lane roadways, use turn signals properly, proper following distance, proper mirror use etc. I had to perform a straightline backing maneuver, parallel parking and drop/disconnect at the end of the test.

This was in NYS. Don't know what the test is like now.

Had the cutest darned tester too. Short, blonde and she filled out her uniform top quite nicely.

W2NAP
05-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Huh, weird. Maybe they changed things since I was teaching. But, you know, dropping the alley dock (a skill you'll use pretty much daily) and keeping parallel parking (something you'll probably never use again once you pass the test) makes very little sense.

yeah its crazy, but for IN just the 3 range tests, pretrip and road.. pretrip don't make much sense ether... like the coolant reservoir tank its mounted with bolts/nuts but yet you don't have to say its mounted securely no missing nuts/bolts... but the damn lines better be mounted securely...

W2NAP
05-09-2015, 09:33 AM
When i took my cdl test back in '91, we had to drive a 10 mile route with both 2 and 4 lane roadways, use turn signals properly, proper following distance, proper mirror use etc. I had to perform a straightline backing maneuver, parallel parking and drop/disconnect at the end of the test.

This was in NYS. Don't know what the test is like now.

Had the cutest darned tester too. Short, blonde and she filled out her uniform top quite nicely.

yeah idk about other states but IN is really simple. but to get the permit pain in the ass. the damn road test could be as little as 5 miles or as much as 20. I think they just want to see you can drive the fuckin thing without hitting anything.

W2NAP
05-11-2015, 12:39 PM
10AM I passed, shame DMV is closed on monday or id have a CDL in my hand

NQ6U
05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
enjoy your last day of elevated iq

W2NAP
05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
enjoy your last day of elevated iq

10-4 :v

PA5COR
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Congrats ;)

VE7DCW
05-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Alright Tony.....well done.........i'm glad I was able to talk to you on your repeater the night before you took the test while you were still sane and normal unlike Carl! :mrgreen:

NQ6U
05-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Alright Tony.....well done.........i'm glad I was able to talk to you on your repeater the night before you took the test while you were still sane and normal unlike Carl! :mrgreen:

It was your last opportunity, too. Now he has his commercial drivers license and it's all downhill for him from here on.

K7SGJ
05-12-2015, 07:45 PM
I guess he got his ticket today. I can only assume since he hasn't posted about it, he either couldn't find his way home, or forgot how to turn on the computer. Such is the life of a CDL holder.

NQ6U
05-12-2015, 07:46 PM
I guess he got his ticket today. I can only assume since he hasn't posted about it, he either couldn't find his way home, or forgot how to turn on the computer. Such is the life of a CDL holder.

he 4got how 2 rite

K7SGJ
05-12-2015, 07:48 PM
he 4got how 2 rite

Do they give out Crayolas with the logbooks?

NQ6U
05-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Do they give out Crayolas with the logbooks?

no u hav 2 breeng yor oan.

K7SGJ
05-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Pisser

W2NAP
05-12-2015, 08:18 PM

something like that.... >_>

I do find it odd that Indiana now gives you a piece of paper for a license at the DMV, and mails the plastic one.... what is this I don't even...

W5BRM
05-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Congratulations driver! You planning on otr or just sticking local?

W2NAP
05-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Congratulations driver! You planning on otr or just sticking local?

otr awhile, if something real sweet came along then id go local.

K7SGJ
05-12-2015, 09:31 PM

There is a local gig in San Diego coming up.

W2NAP
05-13-2015, 06:01 AM
There is a local gig in San Diego coming up.

bit too far west for me

KG4NEL
05-13-2015, 11:49 AM
something like that.... >_>

I do find it odd that Indiana now gives you a piece of paper for a license at the DMV, and mails the plastic one.... what is this I don't even...

NC does the same thing, even with non-commercial licenses. You can't walk out with a laminated one anymore.

W2NAP
05-13-2015, 01:38 PM
NC does the same thing, even with non-commercial licenses. You can't walk out with a laminated one anymore.

it is annoying as hell.

W5BRM
05-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Found the FMCSA safety website. If you are looking at any particular company and not sure how safe they are, you can check up on them here.

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

Just enter the company name and pick from the list.

It wont give you a perfect safety history of a particular company but it might help you in NOT choosing an unsafe company to work for.

W2NAP
05-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Found the FMCSA safety website. If you are looking at any particular company and not sure how safe they are, you can check up on them here.

It wont give you a perfect safety history of a particular company but it might help you in NOT choosing an unsafe company to work for.

just looked at who I am going to, they are a bit better then the avg.

W3NCH
06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Congrats! I'm a bit late to the party. I've been AFK for awhile. :)

suddenseer
06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Congrats Tony. You are going to have to get one of those mobile HF+VHF+UHF rigs. I had my only Islander qso with Kevin on 10M. and 6M when he drove nearby.

koØm
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Anybody here remember, "The Monford Lane" or the "Double-Diamond lane?"

ETA: Did "Big R" drivers wear pantyhose?

NQ6U
06-10-2015, 09:36 PM

Monfort. Meat company outta Colorado known for having very fast (triple-digit) trucks.

KG4CGC
06-10-2015, 09:53 PM

With polka dot panties and a yellow skirt.

koØm
06-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Monfort. Meat company outta Colorado known for having very fast (triple-digit) trucks.

Double-Diamond was Browne Trucking, with the ball-less bulldog trucks always in the slow lane.

W5BRM
06-10-2015, 11:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCno1HSNUnE

KA9MOT
06-11-2015, 05:33 AM

Not so fast. The CDL test is mandated by the feds, and there are no differences between states. Everybody takes the same test.

Now, on to my safety lecture.

AF5TY is absolutely correct. At the training levels you are discussing, you will NOT be properly trained. My guess is that you are going with one of the big training outfits. BE VERY CAREFULL! Cops aren't on the top 10 most dangerous jobs list, but truckers are. Take this very seriously. Your life is on the line, more importantly, somebody else's could depend on the level of training you're getting. These big companies are killers. You're just there to fill a seat and make them a profit. If you fail, they don't care. If you die, they don't care. If you kill someone, they don't care.

There is a reason trucking school applicants can no longer get Student Loans.

If you want to be a truck driver, there are better ways.

What company are you looking at? I can find their safety ratings for you. For instance, in 2004 (Last time I looked) Swift had 20,000 trucks, 21,000 drivers and had reported 880 Fatalities. Edit: WOW! Swift has really picked up their safety rating since 2004. I'm impressed! Only 52 fatalities in the last 24 months. 17,000 trucks and 21,000 drivers.

KA9MOT
06-11-2015, 05:35 AM

YUUUP!!!!

KA9MOT
06-11-2015, 05:36 AM

So, who are you going to?

KA9MOT
06-11-2015, 05:45 AM
OOOOPS!!!!!

W2NAP
06-11-2015, 09:56 AM
So, who are you going to?

USA Truck, had to come home yesterday. ended up with a major ass headache for 4 days strait. couldn't do shit. ended up in the ER last night, they have no idea what caused the headache, they did pump me with a bit of drugs, now question is will it stay away or not.

WX7P
06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Not so fast. The CDL test is mandated by the feds, and there are no differences between states. Everybody takes the same test.

Now, on to my safety lecture.

AF5TY is absolutely correct. At the training levels you are discussing, you will NOT be properly trained. My guess is that you are going with one of the big training outfits. BE VERY CAREFULL! Cops aren't on the top 10 most dangerous jobs list, but truckers are. Take this very seriously. Your life is on the line, more importantly, somebody else's could depend on the level of training you're getting. These big companies are killers. You're just there to fill a seat and make them a profit. If you fail, they don't care. If you die, they don't care. If you kill someone, they don't care.

There is a reason trucking school applicants can no longer get Student Loans.

If you want to be a truck driver, there are better ways.

What company are you looking at? I can find their safety ratings for you. For instance, in 2004 (Last time I looked) Swift had 20,000 trucks, 21,000 drivers and had reported 880 Fatalities. Edit: WOW! Swift has really picked up their safety rating since 2004. I'm impressed! Only 52 fatalities in the last 24 months. 17,000 trucks and 21,000 drivers.

Wow. It IS a dangerous occupation.

NQ6U
06-11-2015, 01:29 PM

#7 in the top ten, according to Business Insider. Fatality rate (per 100,000 full-time equivalent workers): 22.0. Nowhere near as dangerous as logging, though—those guys have a fatality rate of 91.3.

I've worked industries and survived (mostly) intact. Physically, anyhow.

K7SGJ
06-11-2015, 01:36 PM
PFFFFFT

Being a ham a Dayton is way more dangerous.

W2NAP
06-11-2015, 02:27 PM

sure is, not only do you have to be careful, you have to watch for the other idiots on the road. in my short time I have seen plenty of cars be stupid around trucks in which could have ended up in disaster.

W5BRM
06-11-2015, 03:02 PM
sure is, not only do you have to be careful, you have to watch for the other idiots on the road. in my short time I have seen plenty of cars be stupid around trucks in which could have ended up in disaster.

Not only stupid cars but stupid truckers as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlSskuIWHE

W2NAP
06-11-2015, 03:23 PM

yep.... biggest dummy I seen so far was a tanker cut me off on I-76 in PA, had that fucker slammed the brakes when he cut me off. I prob wouldn't be here... and with his flammable placard doubt he would be ether.

WX7P
06-11-2015, 03:57 PM

If that trucker wasn't fired, he should have been.

NQ6U
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
If that trucker wasn't fired, he should have been.

The truck driver was an asshole to be sure but the person driving the black car was also at fault. There was no reason for him/her to insist on squeezing in front of the truck when he/she could have just as easily slowed down and moved in behind.

WØTKX
06-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Pfffffffffffffffffft!

The trucker was at fault. Period.

Black car was stupid, but signaled, and the difference in speed was not that great. There was room.

He fucking blocked. Pure aggression. Don't do that shit with heavy rigs! For the record, I also have a CDL.

And, he was on the phone.

This response was the correct one in the YouTube comments...

I am a truck driver and also sit on many accident evaluations with my company. While the car SHOULD have not tried to force it's way in, the truck driver is the professional and must anticipate it being stupid. He obviously saw the car, since he moved toward the shoulder to avoid the collision. This was the wrong move. He should have backed out and let it merge. It stinks because she is being a jerk, but this happens EVERY day. This was a PREVENTABLE accident.Truck drivers - Be the professional that you are and look out for the other idiots on the road. If you can't do that and feel you need to assert your dominance, please get off the road and find another job. You are only endangering others.

K4PIH
06-11-2015, 09:09 PM
I don't think we can blame the trucker. He was in the left lane so that others could merge without having to worry about him. It's apparent that the black car did what in DC area is called lane diving. Cutting in front of another vehicle without regards as to speed and clearance. I see this same maneuver many times a day on my commute into DC. Many times it results in an accident. Does not matter about the trucker, the black car was totally at fault for cutting him off. If the car driver was that stupid they deserved what they got. Did you notice the other truck that came into the picture after the black car was sliding sideways? I think the trucker was had just passed the second truck and merge moron blasted around that one then tried to slalom between them, cutting in front of the one to get in the fast lane and had no idea as to speed and clearance.

K7SGJ
06-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Accident? No, it was no accident. Either one could have prevented that crash.

AK4OT
06-12-2015, 09:01 AM
It was his fault. But, otoh, shouldn't pass a truck on the right.

"Left side, right side, right side, suicide."

KG4NEL
06-12-2015, 09:40 AM
The truck driver was an asshole to be sure but the person driving the black car was also at fault. There was no reason for him/her to insist on squeezing in front of the truck when he/she could have just as easily slowed down and moved in behind.

That's the one good thing driving slow vehicles has taught me. Knowing when the brakes are what's going to save your life, and when the pedal to the floor will.

WØTKX
06-12-2015, 10:21 AM
A true pro will make allowances for idiots. Period.

K7SGJ
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
A true pro will make allowances for idiots. Period.

Is there even that much allowance in the universe?

KA9MOT
06-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I don't think we can blame the trucker. He was in the left lane so that others could merge without having to worry about him. It's apparent that the black car did what in DC area is called lane diving. Cutting in front of another vehicle without regards as to speed and clearance. I see this same maneuver many times a day on my commute into DC. Many times it results in an accident. Does not matter about the trucker, the black car was totally at fault for cutting him off. If the car driver was that stupid they deserved what they got. Did you notice the other truck that came into the picture after the black car was sliding sideways? I think the trucker was had just passed the second truck and merge moron blasted around that one then tried to slalom between them, cutting in front of the one to get in the fast lane and had no idea as to speed and clearance.

I am very proud of the fact that I have 3,000,000 accident free miles in a big truck. The black car is at fault, but the truck driver is even more at fault.

The car was not in his blind spot, and had he been doing his job he would have seen it. Lets assume, that he was not distracted by his phone call. Look at the car ahead, if you watch very closely, you will see a slight increase in speed as the car passing him comes into view. He accelerated to a point where he was following the car ahead too closely. Also, he moved to the left to avoid the car, but never came off the accelerator. The car had him cleared. Lastly, people have to pass on the right when you have inconsiderate asshat who insists on running in the left lane. He should have been behind the other truck until he was ready to pass.

It was a deliberate act. Nothing less.

koØm
06-13-2015, 12:10 AM
I didn't think that the driver in the Red Truck was ever going to stop.

I really appreciated when the "Driver" who was on the phone said, "They don't know that I have this on camera, bye, I will talk to you later."

KG4CGC
06-13-2015, 12:16 AM
The graveyard is full of people who had the right of way.

WØTKX
06-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Especially motorcyclists, says the guy who was code blue on the pavement 5 years ago.

Driving/riding on the road is not a race, it's more of a high stakes safety rally.

But, mimetic rivalry rules the limbic system.