PDA

View Full Version : This is one reason RS isn't doing so hot...

KC2UGV
04-09-2015, 07:27 PM
I just noticed RS has a "Chat with Rep" link. Now, I know I bag on people for hassling in store reps who are generally not well paid, and have minimal training. But, I figured the web chat would enable reps to google, and they should have a huge KB for questions asked. Below is my chat transcript:

Corey: Initial Question/Comment: Power connector for Arduino

System: Edgar D. has joined this session!

System: Connected with Edgar D.. Your reference number for this chat session is 1480045.

Edgar D.: Hello, my name is Edgar. How may I be of assistance to you today?

Corey: I'm wondering if RS carries the power connector (Bot male and female) that the Arduinos use?

Corey: And, if so, do you have cat #'s for them?

Corey: Sorry, rather *both male and female, not bot :)

Edgar D.: I apologize, but I don't know enough about Arduino to answer that.

Corey: It's the arduino's that RS carries...

Corey: Like, the Arduino Uno board:http://www.radioshack.com/arduino-uno-rev-3/2760128.html#.VScVmHXd8kM

Edgar D.: Do you know what type of connector it is?

Corey: Some size of DC coaxial connector.

Edgar D.: I would recommend contacting your local Radio Shack store to see if they have individual parts for Arduino robots..

Corey: Uh, ok. Thanks.

This answer take about 30 seconds of google-fu. It's a RS size M (http://www.radioshack.com/size-m-coaxial-dc-power-plug-2-pack/2741569.html#start=16&sz=12). Yes, this was a test. And, I didn't waste more time than needed to conduct the test.

Come on RS... You carry the arduino. You manage a DIY blog. Your new motto is "Do It Together". As least work on a KB that covers this kind of thing, as it's a common DIY question. A customer should not know the answer to this, and not RS customer service reps...

N8YX
04-09-2015, 09:19 PM
You get the customer service help that you pay for, and I have a feeling that "connector size" wasn't on the script.

WØTKX
04-10-2015, 08:37 AM
As an ex employee, they deserve to die.

K7SGJ
04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
As an ex employee, they deserve to die.

I hope they bring back the trash 80 before they croak.

KC2UGV
04-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I hope they bring back the trash 80 before they croak.

Same here...

K0RGR
04-11-2015, 05:43 PM
These online chat deals are something else. I suspect it's like the one I volunteered for, looking to make a little bit of extra money. At least the outfit I was involved with gave us a bit of training on their web site, which was the 'go to' for info in most cases, and they screened us from the beginning to see if we actually knew something about the subject. I guess I'm not surprised that RS wouldn't spend the time or money to do that.

I did the chat thing for two weeks before I found out I was not actually being paid, unlike people working for other companies, so I hung it up. They did send me a nice gift certificate, though.