PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Reasoning

NQ6U
03-31-2015, 06:45 PM
Fish live in the sea.
Sharks live in the sea.
Therefore, sharks are fish.

Man (or Woman) up and tell us how you voted, and why.

KG4CGC
03-31-2015, 07:00 PM
In this case yes, but, you left out, "who cares."

N2CHX
03-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Makes as much sense as "People live on land, lizards live on land, therefore, lizards are people."

NQ6U
03-31-2015, 07:22 PM

I originally included “What?” but then took it out because I figured that, in this place, everybody would have chosen that. I know I would have.

VE7DCW
03-31-2015, 07:22 PM

It must be one of those "little whinny bitch" type of day things going on...... :mrgreen:

KG4CGC
03-31-2015, 08:15 PM
It must be one of those "little whinny bitch" type of day things going on...... :mrgreen:

You sir, have planted the mallet directly upon the spike.

K7SGJ
03-31-2015, 08:46 PM
You sir, have planted the mallet directly upon the spike.

And, that's one in a row for him.

K7SGJ
03-31-2015, 08:52 PM
The reasoning is correct because sharks do not have testicles like an octapussy, therefore they are fish.

Walleye think this is sound reasoning, I may have to clam up and not be such a crab.

KB3LAZ
03-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Makes as much sense as "People live on land, lizards live on land, therefore, lizards are people."

I don't know about that but you could say that some people are lizards. I have met a few in my lifetime.

K7SGJ
03-31-2015, 10:28 PM
This "FISH" poll is going downhill way too fast.

I think it's time for a minnow pause.

VE7MGF
03-31-2015, 11:15 PM
that's not phunny

NA4BH
03-31-2015, 11:21 PM
I will perch in my chair, scratch my cods, and roe over this.

I think it has to do something with live births.

NA4BH
03-31-2015, 11:25 PM
It's like asking what the last 3 words in the Doors song Touch Me, or the first 4 words of Carly Simon's song Your So Vain.

K4PIH
04-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Other things live in the Ocean that are not fish. Which reminds of this reasoning:

How many animals are in a pair of panty hose:

14 is the correct answer

One Ass
Two Calves
Ten little piggies
And a fish no one can find

KC2UGV
04-01-2015, 10:19 AM
From a purely logical stance, given the two premises, the conclusion is sound. This would, of course, only be accurate in the bounded set provided.

WØTKX
04-01-2015, 11:56 AM
What? :shock: :chin:

K7SGJ
04-01-2015, 01:40 PM

I think what he said is, he has no fucking idea.

KC2UGV
04-01-2015, 01:47 PM

I think what he said is, he has no fucking idea.

In a bounded sense. You are only given 2 premises, so imagine for a moment that's all the information you have. In this case, it would be true. You know that all fish live in the sea. You know sharks live in the sea. That's it, you know of only one species of fish: Sharks. So, given the bounded set you're working with, it's a logically valid conclusion.

Now, open the bounded set to all marine life, and the logical conclusion drawn the the new set of premises ie, crabs live in the sea. Crabs are not fish. Dolphins live in the sea. Dolphins are not fish. Sharks live in the sea. You cannot conclude in that set of premises that sharks are fish, unless you are given another premise.

N2CHX
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
In a bounded sense. You are only given 2 premises, so imagine for a moment that's all the information you have. In this case, it would be true. You know that all fish live in the sea. You know sharks live in the sea. That's it, you know of only one species of fish: Sharks. So, given the bounded set you're working with, it's a logically valid conclusion.

Now, open the bounded set to all marine life, and the logical conclusion drawn the the new set of premises ie, crabs live in the sea. Crabs are not fish. Dolphins live in the sea. Dolphins are not fish. Sharks live in the sea. You cannot conclude in that set of premises that sharks are fish, unless you are given another premise.

WTF? Uhhhh no. Just no. You're contradicting yourself by adding additional information to your "bounded set", i.e. that sharks are a species of fish. You have to break it down further than that: You don't know WTF a fish or a shark is. All you know is that they both live in the sea. Therefore, you cannot conclude that sharks are fish. They are both simply things that live in the sea and that's all you know. Sorry, but you're wrong here.

EDIT:

Hint: replace "fish" with jazigimos and "sharks" with blazingilas. No one has any clue what a jazigimo or a blazingila is, outside of the fact (according to the information given) that they both live in the sea.

K7SGJ
04-01-2015, 03:08 PM

El wrongo. amigo. ALL fish don not live in the sea. Some live in streams, lakes, and other fresh water locations. I even had one in a bowl once. After some time, it wound up in a different kind of bowl.

WØTKX
04-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Thank you Kelli. ;)

http://www.heartofwisdom.com/homeschoollinks/wp-content/uploads/syllogistic_reasoning_penguin_logic.jpg

KC2UGV
04-02-2015, 06:12 AM
WTF? Uhhhh no. Just no. You're contradicting yourself by adding additional information to your "bounded set", i.e. that sharks are a species of fish. You have to break it down further than that: You don't know WTF a fish or a shark is. All you know is that they both live in the sea. Therefore, you cannot conclude that sharks are fish. They are both simply things that live in the sea and that's all you know. Sorry, but you're wrong here.

EDIT:

Hint: replace "fish" with jazigimos and "sharks" with blazingilas. No one has any clue what a jazigimo or a blazingila is, outside of the fact (according to the information given) that they both live in the sea.

True... I stand corrected on here.