PDA

View Full Version : "Works as it should" New cliche for the 2000 teens?

WX7P
03-29-2015, 03:33 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop on used equipment.

I've been reading the classifieds lately after a long hiatus and I have seen this term

"Works as it should" constantly.

Where the hell did THIS come from? Shouldn't "works as it should" be self-evident unless stated? What if it works as it shouldn't? Or it SHOULD work. Sounds like someone invented this silly phrase as buttcover if something doesn't work. (YOU plugged it in! It 'worked as it should' when it left my house!)

What a dumb comment to put in an ad. Reminds me of the old car ads from the 70's 'Runs' or 'Runs Well' meant the car was a pile of shit. I never understood how 'runs good' was always better than 'runs well'.

KG4CGC
03-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Better than, "minty" I guess.

n0iu
03-30-2015, 04:50 AM
Or restaurants that advertise "Good Food" or gas stations that advertise "Clean Restrooms". If the food wasn't good or the restrooms weren't clean, why would you advertise such a fact? Some things should just be assumed!

N8YX
03-30-2015, 06:37 AM
"Seller refurbished" = never mind the 30-year-old layer of nicotine; it MIGHT power up without issue. Then again, it might not and you're not getting your money back.

KK4AMI
03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
"Seller refurbished" = never mind the 30-year-old layer of nicotine; it MIGHT power up without issue. Then again, it might not and you're not getting your money back.

I remember when "Seller Refurbished" meant at least cleaning off the smoke with Windex and a quick canned spray paint job. Now it's spraying the radio with Febreeze so it doesn't smell like smoke when you turn it on.

K7SGJ
03-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Reminds me of the old car ads from the 70's 'Runs' or 'Runs Well' meant the car was a pile of shit. I never understood how 'runs good' was always better than 'runs well'.

Or the ones that only said "new battery and cold air"

KG4NEL
03-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Reminds me of the old car ads from the 70's

I'm going to start putting mentions of Fine Corinthian Leather in all my FS ads.

suddenseer
03-30-2015, 11:58 AM
When I place an ad to sell ham/sound gear, I mention something about was used in a tobacco free environment. I don't write, "smoke free". Even though most of that smoke is water cooled.

WX7P
03-30-2015, 12:49 PM
When I place an ad to sell ham/sound gear, I mention something about was used in a tobacco free environment. I don't write, "smoke free". Even though most of that smoke is water cooled.

Heh, I'd read "smoke free" as "radio not smoked"

NQ6U
03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Heh, I'd read "smoke free" as "radio not smoked"

To me, “smoke free” means you let all the Magic Smoke out and the thing doesn't work any longer.